• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

I missed the ol' gnasher is broken stuff. It's as Gearsian as the gnasher itself.

Also is anyone playing atm? I'd be willing to play some rounds with anyone.

I used the Sawd-off so feel my pain. I love Gears 1 though because You get sucked into te chainsaw. I hide around corners as pop-out like a MFer. Salty tears.

I used the Sawd-off so feel my pain. I love Gears 1 though because You get sucked into te chainsaw. I hide around corners as pop-out like a MFer. Salty tears.

People don't like to play around anything but the Gnasher so they cry about the sawed-off and chainsaws lol. I'm a heavy Gnasher user but I can feel the other weapon users too. Check your corners rookies.

Special C

Gears 1 is like the Dark Souls of MP. Minimalist and occasionally janky but raw gameplay that is just unmatched. Its not for everyone.

The Coalition posted a Faq with some interesting info on their forums, some of the info:

I know many of you are looking for official responses on Gears of War: Ultimate Edition from the developers... so here we go! We will keep adding to this thread as we see more and more questions pop up.

Q: Will there be a patch for Gears of War: Ultimate Edition? What will be included in the patch?
A: Yes we are planning on patching Ultimate Edition. We are currently evaluating the high priority fixes that should go into the patch. We are looking into issues such as the shotgun, the scoreboard in spectator mode, the L-trigger delay to shoot bug, the instant roadie run after being revived bug, some crash bugs, and a number of other hot issues. Once we know what will be fixed we will release patch notes. There is no set timeframe for the patch yet but we hope to get it out as quickly as possible.

Q: What is wrong with the shotgun? Are you going to fix it?
A: Yes we are investigating the shotgun. Although the aiming works exactly the same between Gears of War 1 and Gears of War UE, there are some inconsistencies in terms of damage/spread and some other bugs going on. We are looking into this to make it more consistent and skillful. Please note that there is also a bug with the reporting of the shotgun kills that shows headshot shotgun kills when they are actually body kills. We are looking into this as well.

Q: The gnasher shoots/aims differently than Gears of War 1, are you going to change it to centre/barrel aiming?
A: The shotgun actually works exactly the same as in Gears of War 1. It is centre-aiming all the time until the barrel of the gun is DIRECTLY touching a wall or another player or object, and then it switches to barrel aiming. This is the same as Gears 1. It is not possible to change the gun to full centre aiming all the time as because this is a third-person game, it would mean that someone could shoot/snipe from behind a wall without ever exposing their characters' body. So this is why Gears 1 and UE both work the same way and go from centre aiming 99% of the time until the gun is directly touching/blocked by an object. That being said, we are looking into the inconsistencies with the UE shotgun bugs and hope to have these resolved in an upcoming patch.

Q: Why aren't there very many maps in competitive?
A: All Social playlists contain all maps, whereas the Competitive playlists contain the maps that work best for that game mode. That being said we are looking into enabling more Gears of War 1 maps into the competitive map cycle so there are more maps available to players, and maps that players don't like can be voted out.

Q: I seem to be getting matched up with higher/lower level players, is matchmaking working?
A: Please note that the matchmaking system works on SKILL-based matchmaking and does not use the visible XP ranks to match-make. However, it does take several games for the system to determine your "skill-based rank". After players play a few games they will be matched according to their skill. Some players may be a high XP rank but have low skill and vice versa, so that is why it may appear to not be matchmaking you correctly -- however the system should properly match you based on skill after a few initial games.

Q: Can you force full teams/individual players to play together?
A: No, the system cannot force full parties to play together or force individuals to play together.

Q: Can you change matchmaking to work more like Gears 3 or change Locust/COG team sides?
A: No, unfortunately we cannot change the matchmaking to work more like Gears of War 3 or switch team sides.

Q: Does anything else unlock after Level 60?
A: No, all the unlockable characters and skins are posted here. Keep an eye out for more community contests and events for a chance to win special skins!

Q: Will there be any more DLC/characters/weapon skins/maps for Ultimate Edition?
A: At this time there is no more DLC planned for Ultimate Edition. We are focused on creating more maps, characters and features for Gears of War 4. If this changes we will be sure to post about it as soon as possible.

Q: I keep rolling/sticking/etc into walls, can you fix this?
A: We have fixed as many of these issues from the original Gears of War 1 as possible. If you notice any significant issues with specific areas please post a photo or video in this thread showing the area that the issue is constantly occurring and we will look into it!

Q: This X feature/system/aspect is not the same as Gears of War 1/3, can you change it?
A: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is Gears of War 1 remastered and unfortunately that does mean that there are some "legacy" issues or playstyles that are part of the game, such as melees, walls, general playstyle, etc. We did add in some Gears of War 3 features where possible such as better movement, spotting, spectator mode, etc, but we encourage players to embrace Gears of War 1 and enjoy Ultimate Edition for the remaster that it is. We look to future titles to innovate and improve on the Gears of War franchise.

RPS37

So I tried to play some campaign on Hardcore and within the first 5 minutes Dom was getting downed instantly.
I don't remember..should I just ignore him and fight by myself?

Q: Can you change matchmaking to work more like Gears 3 or change Locust/COG team sides?
A: No, unfortunately we cannot change the matchmaking to work more like Gears of War 3 or switch team sides.

Not mixing up teams is a huge mistake.

Titanfall at launch didn't mix teams up and it was terrible. If a good team was randomly created they'd dominate all night and the opposing team had no choice but to quit.

Gears has such a high skill ceiling. Without mixing teams up it's only going to make quitting even more common.

The other day I was in a 4v2 in the lobby and had to wait several minutes for another player to join the other team. It would've been so much quicker if someone from my team could've been switched to the other team.

It also makes it a lot harder for a team of 3-4 players to find matches. If they could rebalance sides a 2v2 could be merged together and the team of 4 put in against them.

Isocr4cy

girl you cray cray

Gears 3 for life

Gears 3 campaign is brilliant. A lot of fun and if you've read the books(which are actually all quite good) the story is even more enjoyable.

I can't wait for Gears 3 backwards compatibility, I want to replay Act 3 so badly, I have such fond memories of the opening of that act and the Berserker fight.

One thing I noticed about Gears Of War 1's campaign upon replaying it is that objectives that require you to defend a location never feel like they drag on too long. They can be pretty challenging, but you never really get tired or fed up during them. In the second and third games, those moments felt way too long, the most noteworthy example being the fuel station rooftop defense in Gears Of War 3. Fuck that chapter on insane.

Gears 1 is much better paced than I remember it being!

The Flash

Banned
Gears 3 campaign is brilliant. A lot of fun and if you've read the books(which are actually all quite good) the story is even more enjoyable.

I can't wait for Gears 3 backwards compatibility, I want to replay Act 3 so badly, I have such fond memories of the opening of that act and the Berserker fight.

Me too. I really want to play some Horde and Beast.

Two glitches that are kinda annoying that I've encountered

1. Every once in a while, when you kill someone they'll drop the weapon on their back instead of the one in their hands. This sucks when they're holding a power weapon.

2. Fairly frequently you won't switch sides after a round. On Escalation you might spawn away from the snipers two times in a row.

Just finished the campaign. Sooooo good.
Reminds me how much better Gears 1 is than any other game in the series.
This makes me happy to read - the Giant Bomb review score (2 stars) definitely gave me pause especially since, like Jeff, I'd only be in it for campaign and co-op. So I've been worried I remember the game more fondly than it actually plays these days.

girl you cray cray

Gears 3 for life
Lambent enemies and their big glowy spots are the worst.

alterno69

Banned
Fuck, i've been downloading this since saturday and it still has 50% to go on a 20mb connnection.

I didn't realise there was stuff downloading on my PS4 as well as Life is Strange on the Xbone so it's taking forever to play this.

With some luck it'll be ready tomorrow 😖

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The Coalition posted a Faq with some interesting info on their forums, some of the info:

could they not make the centre/barrel aiming an option?

i just want some consistency. the game is frustrating as hell right now.

edit: I mean look at this. I couldn't be any closer if I tried but the bullets go BEHIND the guy.

bNsfcVk.png

oo7

What's with map rotation in competitive deathmatch? I've yet to get Escalation, Process, Bullet Marsh, Subway, or Rooftops and I've played over 40 matches.

Ballistik

What's with map rotation in competitive deathmatch? I've yet to get Escalation, Process, Bullet Marsh, Subway, or Rooftops and I've played over 40 matches.

In the FAQs posted they say not all maps are included in competitive.

Anyone know what the diamonds are next to peoples names? Each team always has some pointing U, D, L and R..

Where you will spawn.

Is anyone else experiencing lag? Whenever my roommate is using Apple TV it makes his game lag like hell. But only this game, other live games work fine. It really sucks

could they not make the centre/barrel aiming an option?

i just want some consistency. the game is frustrating as hell right now.

edit: I mean look at this. I couldn't be any closer if I tried but the bullets go BEHIND the guy.

sorry man but your shots ARE going into the center in that pic and they arent even really going behind him. the only time the shots will come from the barrel is when your barrel is right up on world geometry or a player and in this case it is not.

the shots went exactly where they should.

sorry man but your shots ARE going into the center in that pic and they arent even really going behind him. the only time the shots will come from the barrel is when your barrel is right up on world geometry or a player and in this case it is not.

They're going to the center but they're coming out of the barrel is what hes showing. The feller he's trying to kill is behind the actual barrel of his shotgun. In gears 1 that would have killed him.

They're going to the center but they're coming out of the barrel is what hes showing. The feller he's trying to kill is behind the actual barrel of his shotgun. In gears 1 that would have killed him.

i dont agree in his example. the dude looks crouched with the barrel above above him.

he would have had to aim lower and walk possibly closer to barrel him. i have confirmed this with a friend in a private match.

The Goat

I have no idea what you are looking at, because what I'm looking at is no where near where the shot should be going. The shotgun is an absolute unreliable mess right now. It's completing killing the MP for me, which is the only reason I bought this in the first place. If they can't figure out a fix, game will fall to the wayside.

It's too bad, because the game could have been almost a perfect 1:1 with the original.

I remember I preferred Gears 2, but I did like the first one. While trying to play this though... I am not feeling this at all. I had to put it down after like an hour or two of playing. I rather this not mar my rose tinted glasses.

I have no idea what you are looking at, because what I'm looking at is no where near where the shot should be going. The shotgun is an absolute unreliable mess right now. It's completing killing the MP for me, which is the only reason I bought this in the first place. If they can't figure out a fix, game will fall to the wayside.

It's too bad, because the game could have been almost a perfect 1:1 with the original.

im really not trying to be difficult. i agree the shotgun has a problem but the shot is dead center in the screen above the crouching target. the barrel of the shotgun is not up against the player so the shots dont pass through him.

its being fixed as confirmed tonight by TC. they said it has a bug with spread and damage.

Sigh. Don't think I can do it anymore. The game was fun at first, but every single match seems to be extremely lopsided. I suck at the game; I admit that. But every match is one team being annihilated by the other and that rarely leads to fun.

An-Det

I finished my customary hardcore run and jumped straight into insanity co-op. Aside from the pc levels, I was surprised at how much of the game I remembered even after all these years. While it's not my favorite of the campaigns, I love the more horror aspects of it, particularly after the bombastic later games. The theater in Comedy of Errors is a pain on insane, though.

One thing seemed strange to me in the last section of the game.
On the train that the Locust are attacking because of the lightmass bomb, why are there lambent wretches with them?
Gameplay-wise I get it since it's harder and they only had so many enemies in the first game, but lore-wise I'm confused.

Why do people hate the krill level?
I don't mind it at all... It's a bit odd how propane tanks just happen to be conveniently positioned throughout the level, but it's still fun.

On another note, some of the achievement at make great backgrounds... My dash has a beautiful big berserker in the background, she's a sexy girl!

pizzacat

Banned
I finished my customary hardcore run and jumped straight into insanity co-op. Aside from the pc levels, I was surprised at how much of the game I remembered even after all these years. While it's not my favorite of the campaigns, I love the more horror aspects of it, particularly after the bombastic later games. The theater in Comedy of Errors is a pain on insane, though.

One thing seemed strange to me in the last section of the game.
On the train that the Locust are attacking because of the lightmass bomb, why are there lambent wretches with them?
Gameplay-wise I get it since it's harder and they only had so many enemies in the first game, but lore-wise I'm confused.
The locust didn't know that the Imulsion was killing them and making them insane till like before 3 but after 2, 2 has a cutscene where something weird happens with an imulsion infected locust but it made no sense and was probably retconned like a lot from that game was

vac

Neo Member

A real shame. I guess it'll get better once the initial influx of players dies down and the skill-ratings are better calibrated.

im really not trying to be difficult. i agree the shotgun has a problem but the shot is dead center in the screen above the crouching target. the barrel of the shotgun is not up against the player so the shots dont pass through him..

Agreed. Shot is 100% centre screen, muzzle is not being obstructed by anything so centre screen shot is what you'd expect. The muzzle flash is always there, it is not indicating the bullets are coming from the barrel.

Edit:
Not fun for anyone =/

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think another reason why Gears is so addictive for me is that even getting rekt is fun. It's so adrenaline pumping that I don't even care when I go 3-6 or something for a match and we get owned. It's just so exhilarating to get in there with the shotty or get that gib/headshot on that fucker that killed you last round.

It's just straight fun, I see a lot of people talk about it being disheartening to lose. Who gives a shit? It's all good shit, it's just motivation to get better. If my buddy and I are palying and we get stomped, we are just like "goddamn *LOL*" - they just outplayed us. In Gears, there are so many different ways a team can outplay another team.

My biggest gripe so far is that they have excluded some maps from the Execution playlist. I play Exe. exclusively and I don't get to see some of my favorite maps. Thank god they addressed this concern and said they plan to add more maps (they should just give them all to us) to the rotation.

Montresor

*This game reminds me just how solid the original Gears campaign was. I had a wave of nostalgia when I finally met up with Cole, and then Baird, in Act 1. The game's focus on small-scale battles and horror-themed encounters is brilliant as well. I'm glad that Gears 4 seems to be following the same route.

*The graphics are very nice. Is it just me or was the discussion about dust effects overblown? Whenever I slide into cover I can see that dust gets kicked up near the cover/barrier... and there were huge discussions in the Digital Foundry thread, including side-by-side gif comparison, showing zero dust in Gears Ultimate and a ton of dust in the original 360 version.

*Performance is great, but playing in co-op there are occasional dips. Nothing game breaking, but noticeable.

pizzacat

Banned
I think another reason why Gears is so addictive for me is that even getting rekt is fun. It's so adrenaline pumping that I don't even care when I go 3-6 or something for a match and we get owned. It's just so exhilarating to get in there with the shotty or get that gib/headshot on that fucker that killed you last round.

It's just straight fun, I see a lot of people talk about it being disheartening to lose. Who gives a shit? It's all good shit, it's just motivation to get better. If my buddy and I are palying and we get stomped, we are just like "goddamn *LOL*" - they just outplayed us. In Gears, there are so many different ways a team can outplay another team.

My biggest gripe so far is that they have excluded some maps from the Execution playlist. I play Exe. exclusively and I don't get to see some of my favorite maps. Thank god they addressed this concern and said they plan to add more maps (they should just give them all to us) to the rotation.

I'm really feeling escalation should get the overpass ban in everything that isn't exe.

Wow, it's been so long since I fought RAAM, I've completely forgotten how to fight him and I'm dying constantly.

as long as the krill is on him he is invincible
I soloed on normal, replaying on insane

I used the torque bow, a few shots, then spammed grenades killed him in minutes, now this was after dying over and over

co op with my brother same thing

will use that method on insane

you need to get the bats off of him and grenade and the bow will do that and damage him. I tried long shot then gave up, as I was dying too much..
long shot and the bow combo then the long shot and lancer etc never worked
the glitch did not work where you can get raam stuck.. that is for a solo play
then I just did the bow and spammed grenades, it worked

Top Bottom