• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I beat Gears on insane back in the day, but seem to be dying an awful lot on normal difficulty in the ultimate version. Feels like I can only take 2-3 hits, maybe I'm just being impatient but it seems more difficult. Glad I didn't pick a harder difficulty.

Escalation is so broken. With the grenades and the sniper rifles at the bottom any decent team just has to hold that area and whoever is spawning from up top is fucked.

I mean I guess that map has always kind been broken but it really is more noticeable ten years later

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Escalation is so broken. With the grenades and the sniper rifles at the bottom any decent team just has to hold that area and whoever is spawning from up top is fucked.

I mean I guess that map has always kind been broken but it really is more noticeable ten years later
It was never broken in Execution...These maps weren't made for respawn gametypes originally so not all of them will convert over. I wish they would add it to Execution...cause it was always one of my favorites.

It was never broken in Execution...These maps weren't made for respawn gametypes originally so not all of them will convert over. I wish they would add it to Execution...cause it was always one of my favorites.
I suppose that's true given that other modes would have you swap spawns every round. But that map is super broken on tdm as it stands

jesu

*The graphics are very nice. Is it just me or was the discussion about dust effects overblown? Whenever I slide into cover I can see that dust gets kicked up near the cover/barrier... and there were huge discussions in the Digital Foundry thread, including side-by-side gif comparison, showing zero dust in Gears Ultimate and a ton of dust in the original 360 version.

Yeah, here's some dust I made earlier

http://i.imgur.com/sEE5vPX.gifv

Bumhead

Banned
Wow, people weren't kidding about the Gears 1 multiplayer. It's legit hard.

Started edging my way into it though after 6 or 7 matches. Just finished my last match with 7 kills, which I'm counting as a MAJOR success having achieved zero in my first 3.

Great fun though. It definitely feels unique to other multiplayer games out there.

Neil_J_UK

Question - I just completed the single player, but I never noticed the '5 chapters never released on Xbox' that they were going on about. I played the game on the 360 and I didn't play much I couldn't really remember. What are they?

* Searches "Juice" *
* Searches "Checkpoint" *

Has no one noticed that they fixed the "All that Juice" checkpoint!?

The checkpoint now triggers after the you reach the top of the hill and the characters decide to split up! This is the best upgrade in the whole package.

And yet, I'm somehow sad that people who didn't play the original won't know the pain of playing through that section on Insanity difficulty and having to walk up that hill again and again.

EBE

Question - I just completed the single player, but I never noticed the '5 chapters never released on Xbox' that they were going on about. I played the game on the 360 and I didn't play much I couldn't really remember. What are they?

after you leave Marcus' home and arrive at the broken drawbridge up until the brumak fight

as long as the krill is on him he is invincible
I soloed on normal, replaying on insane

I used the torque bow, a few shots, then spammed grenades killed him in minutes, now this was after dying over and over

co op with my brother same thing

will use that method on insane

you need to get the bats off of him and grenade and the bow will do that and damage him. I tried long shot then gave up, as I was dying too much..
long shot and the bow combo then the long shot and lancer etc never worked
the glitch did not work where you can get raam stuck.. that is for a solo play
then I just did the bow and spammed grenades, it worked

Wasn't there a turret at the opposite end of the train tho?
I used that on him when I beat it on Hardcore last year on 360

* Searches "Juice" *

The checkpoint now triggers after the you reach the top of the hill and the characters decide to split up! This is the best upgrade in the whole package.

And yet, I'm somehow sad that people who didn't play the original won't know the pain of playing through that section on Insanity difficulty and having to walk up that hill again and again.

That section is a joke now. You can get hit by a Torque arrow on Insane and not explode, at least in co-op.

Wasn't there a turret at the opposite end of the train tho?
I used that on him when I beat it on Hardcore last year on 360

yes there is and I tried that as well
remember its dark and the turret is in the dark.. so if he lets loose the krill
you will die

and I tried the glitch

I finally, not leaving the starting area
used the bow on him, when he started down the middle. hit him twice with the bow
then spammed him with grenades all 4 of them, he died
it took just a minute to kill him

co oped with my brother and that's how we killed him together as well
took my 4 grenades and his 1, less than a minute to kill
now I need to do it on insanity

slyfox

Can't wait for the gnasher update. So annoyed at the inconsistencies. We have dedis now which should mean everyone should shoot like they're host. It should be a lot more accurate compared to the 360 era where one person was host.

NuKERxyz

Competitive Execution doesnt rotate all the maps?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
sorry man but your shots ARE going into the center in that pic and they arent even really going behind him. the only time the shots will come from the barrel is when your barrel is right up on world geometry or a player and in this case it is not.

the shots went exactly where they should.

I know they're going to the centre but the barrel of the gun is literally right on his head. I couldn't be any closer.

You can see the fire from the shotgun going right in his face but the bullets are 5 ft wide of that and end up hitting the wall behind him.

I expect the bullets to come out of the shotgun because I can see that I'm so close.

look, here's another example. I'm so close this time the gun is actually clipping into the armour of the other character but the shot misses.

I see this all the time and it is the most frustrating thing in the world because it's just so damn inconsistent.

WCuc3WN.png

honestly I would settle for a toggle in the options. The mechanism to shoot from the barrel is in the game because it does it when someone is close to something (sometimes) so just give me an option to do it all the time.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Competitive Execution doesnt rotate all the maps?
Nope. They said they are planning on adding more. But for now, there's only like 10.

I've seen:

Gridlock, Canals, War Machine, Clocktower, Mansion, Fuel Depot, Raven Down, Old Bones, Process, & Subway

Not that I'm not happy with those. But I want to see Escalation, Mausoleum, and Rooftops.

Nope. They said they are planning on adding more. But for now, there's only like 10.

I've seen:

Gridlock, Canals, War Machine, Clocktower, Mansion, Fuel Depot, Raven Down, Old Bones, Process, & Subway

Not that I'm not happy with those. But I want to see Escalation, Mausoleum, and Rooftops.

I've had all maps BUT Courtyard and Rooftops. They came up once and that's it.

Jawmuncher

* Searches "Juice" *

If you do die though, you still have to hear the Theron Guard scream every time.

Anyone trying the Tournament controller layout? I kinda like it, makes bouncing really easy. Not really a point since I'm getting the elite controller though.

All they plan to do is fix some of the issues, it's not changing from camera aiming :/

I hope gears 4 weapons are more like gears 3 and not 1 or judgement.

Wow really? This game man. This is game just feels like one massive masturbation fest over the Gnasher. They even dedicated a mode to it. C'mon.

Anyone trying the Tournament controller layout? I kinda like it, makes bouncing really easy. Not really a point since I'm getting the elite controller though.

Nope but I'm tempted to start using it. I have a CronusMax though so I might remap my entire controller. I like the idea of the LB being the new evade/run button.

Had this happen today. I love the Gears glitches.

Wow really? This game man. This is game just feels like one massive masturbation fest over the Gnasher. They even dedicated a mode to it. C'mon.

Nope but I'm tempted to start using it. I have a CronusMax though so I might remap my entire controller. I like the idea of the LB being the new evade/run button.

Had this happen today. I love the Gears glitches.

Lol, I love that you left him. I had a bunch of people chasing me on Tyro so I ran down the hole to escape them but also trap them in the tiny ramp. It was a massacre but I didn't know how to record stuff then.

I'm just using the standard controller for now but LB as run/cover makes it so you can have both thumbs for movement instead of moving one to A to wall-bounce. When things go south sometimes I just hit A by reaction but it's shifting well and my scores are pretty good again. I like to use the UE as a time to experiment before 4.

Bracket

* Searches "Juice" *

That's awesome news! Haven't gotten to the campaign yet, but I definitely remember that part and how aggravating it was.

At the very beginning of Act III in the Campaign... so good. The visuals do look very good and so far the campaign is as good as I remember it.

Isocr4cy

After initially beating the first 3 acts on hardcore and then the last 2 on insane, I just finished up re-clearing the first 3 on insane to get my achievement. Game was actually really easy on insane outside of a couple encounters that happen in the last couple acts.

I love the way the game looks at night so the negativity surrounding the darkness in the Gears 4 demo actually has me more excited. Both act 3's from Gears 1/3 are gorgeous looking.

Canadian

It's awesome to jump back into the first Gears and have it look updated and yet still have it feel like playing it back in 2006. Game looks and plays great, well done Coalition! If anyone is playing on European servers and needs another Gear add me: Holy Canadian

lbk62

Ahahaha I flinched.

So my friend and I started to test out some silly stuff with the Gnasher and this center camera BS. I think you'll find some of them interesting. Handy to know for competitive play.

Shooting through objects
You can get a headshot by aiming at the floor
using center camera to shoot as opposed to the end of your Gnasher barrel.

Thank you! this is very informative
I don't know why people still defend the game saying get good, it is really broken, and we have to adjust to this errors, in order to win.

I repeat, all the people out there saying that the game is broken, you are right, now with this info workaround the errors to win.

I play consistently good. Also there is some bugs with the damage spread but the aiming is exactly the same as Gears 1 according to the devs.

Folks are gonna have one less excuse when they "fix" the Gnasher in a patch.

I love the brutality of Gear 1. I havent played the Xbox this much in years. Solo'd the campaign on Insane pretty quickly too, memories of the old game helped with that.

Also needs to be said, Gears 1 campaign is the best of the series. The pacing, the encounters, everything just flawless

The Goat

im really not trying to be difficult. i agree the shotgun has a problem but the shot is dead center in the screen above the crouching target. the barrel of the shotgun is not up against the player so the shots dont pass through him.

its being fixed as confirmed tonight by TC. they said it has a bug with spread and damage.

Yeah, all good, man. I got ya. It was good to hear them acknowledge the bug and that a fix will come in the future. I just hope it happens soon. Wait too long and you lose your player base. I want this game to live on for years to come, even after Gears 4 drops.

Top Bottom