• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Am I the only one getting Escalation on every other game I play? This reminds me of the Bullet Marsh issue in Gears 3.

Love this game!
I reunited with some old friends and played this masterpiece.
It was as awesome as ever, it felt amazing playing with old washed-up gears 1 vets.

It was a little frustrating at first. The aiming is different from gears3 and had to readjust. My shots were missing, but now they're on point. My K/D and W/L ratios are going back up from being terrible.

Up to Raam on insane and my god, this boss battle is STILL a buggy piece of shit. Kryll killing you when you're clearly in a lit area, and the new lighting engine makes the entire arena looks like it's lit up! Jesus.

EDIT: Also why is there no Torque Bow in the final carriage of the train?!

Up to Raam on insane and my god, this boss battle is STILL a buggy piece of shit. Kryll killing you when you're clearly in a lit area, and the new lighting engine makes the entire arena looks like it's lit up! Jesus.

Yeah I was surprised that it was basically daylight and Kryll were flying around. They made a bad mistake there.

I would have killed Raam on my first try if it wasn't for two random deaths when I'm stood on top of the light.

Oh look, a "get good" -answer.

It's broken, there's enough evidence. It's unbalanced and inconsistent. 1 on 1 shotgun battle is like rolling a dice. And no, I got better. I know when it works and when the game shows it's terrible hit detection.

If a 1 on 1 is like rolling a dice, why are Me and my friends winning probably around 70% of our one on ones? You clearly didn't play the game enough back in 06 to remember the game play was the same way. With people constantly complaining of shotgun problems. It's nothing new.

Syriel

EDIT: Also why is there no Torque Bow in the final carriage of the train?!

RAAM on insane isn't that bad if you save your torque ammo from earlier in the train and start the fight fully loaded. He's even easier if you're playing co-op.

You should be able to easily land 6-8 torque shots on RAAM before he even gets to your side of the train. When he does, melee a grenade onto his backside and roll away ASAP.

The torque shots should have weakened him considerably and the grenade will finish him off.

I wish there was an option to turn off FXAA, or that they'd replace it with SMAA, TXAA or something. I was playing it last night when I thought, it's all looking a bit unfocused, a bit blurry.... Oh, that's why.

It's not horrible or anything, but a bit of a shame since it's supposedly one of the few current gen games with good texture filtering.

RAAM on insane isn't that bad if you save your torque ammo from earlier in the train and start the fight fully loaded. He's even easier if you're playing co-op.

You should be able to easily land 6-8 torque shots on RAAM before he even gets to your side of the train. When he does, melee a grenade onto his backside and roll away ASAP.

The torque shots should have weakened him considerably and the grenade will finish him off.

Rebooting the level through the chapter select menu gave me the Torque Bow, glad I didn't have to repeat the previous act to get the bow! Didn't have to do that strategy you mentioned though. For some reason he got caught on the edge of the platform he starts on and just stood there like a statue. Rolled on up to a nearby concrete block and just removed the Kryll with the bow and emptied a clip of Lancer ammo into his face each time, he couldn't fight back! Threw a few grenades after using my Torque ammo up and bam! One dead pacifist RAAM! Oh well, unlocked all the difficulty completion achievements!

Wonder if his AI had this pathfinding issue in the original version, don't remember it.

Syriel

Rebooting the level through the chapter select menu gave me the Torque Bow, glad I didn't have to repeat the previous act to get the bow! Didn't have to do that strategy you mentioned though. For some reason he got caught on the edge of the platform he starts on and just stood there like a statue. Rolled on up to a nearby concrete block and just removed the Kryll with the bow and emptied a clip of Lancer ammo into his face each time, he couldn't fight back! Threw a few grenades after using my Torque ammo up and bam! One dead pacifist RAAM! Oh well, unlocked all the difficulty completion achievements!

Wonder if his AI had this pathfinding issue in the original version, don't remember it.

Yep. You could cheese him with the geometry if you wanted in the original as well.

Now you just need to redo the fight in co-op to get the Brothers to the End cheevo. ;)

jesu

Loving the campaign again.
Been over 4 years since I last played so don't remember it at all really.
Will try multiplayer later :/

Syriel

They fucked up by having separate Social and Competative playlists. I cant find a match unless I stick with TDM in Social (Aussie here). Fuck any dev that thinks it's a good idea.

Why? Not everyone wants to play competitively.

Social playlists are there for people who just want to jump in and have fun, and not worry about "being bad" or messing things up for the team.

If you're having trouble finding games in your region (likely due to population) switch to a different region. You'll end up with a higher ping, but will probably find more matches.

Card Boy

Banned
Why? Not everyone wants to play competitively.

Social playlists are there for people who just want to jump in and have fun, and not worry about "being bad" or messing things up for the team.

If you're having trouble finding games in your region (likely due to population) switch to a different region. You'll end up with a higher ping, but will probably find more matches.

Because it splits the community and i can't get into a match. Switching regions so i'm lagging is not a good solution. No other games do this besides Rockstars online games, previous Gears games and Fighting games. Guess what they are all dead online!

Syriel

Because it splits the community and i can't get into a match. Switching regions so i'm lagging is not a good solution. No other games do this besides Rockstars online games, previous Gears games and Fighting games. Guess what they are all dead online!

Being forced into competitive matches when you just want to play for fun isn't really any fun though. It's not fun for the people who aren't good enough for competitive and it's not fun for the competitive folks who get matched with someone who doesn't know the game.

And even if you are good, sometimes you just want to hop in and have fun. Maybe you want to try something new. Maybe you just want to good off. Much better to do that in a social playlist than a competitive one.

I don't like RAAM

Don't worry. He only has 640k hit points.
;)

Online is making me very nostalgic, it's a shame none of my friends from the Gears 1 days have Xbones.

Playing with randoms just isn't the same.

If a 1 on 1 is like rolling a dice, why are Me and my friends winning probably around 70% of our one on ones? You clearly didn't play the game enough back in 06 to remember the game play was the same way. With people constantly complaining of shotgun problems. It's nothing new.

I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I've never played GOW1 but the MP ( the gnasher) just doesn't feel right. The hit detection seems inconsistent.

I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I've never played GOW1 but the MP ( the gnasher) just doesn't feel right. The hit detection seems inconsistent.

Big thing to realize/figure out is that the shells don't come out of the barrel of the shotgun. For better or worse, they were from the middle of the screen.

It doesn't sound like much, but figuring out the best way to keep the enemy in the middle of your screen will definitely help you win a few more 1v1 battles.

kingwingin

All I'm saying is that if anyone make the claim that the game is broken, the burden of proof is on them. Until you can produce sufficient evidence, don't post things like 'the shotgun is a roll of the diece'.
so what was your old gamertag? I'd like to see your gears 1 stats

Big thing to realize/figure out is that the shells don't come out of the barrel of the shotgun. For better or worse, they were from the middle of the screen.

It doesn't sound like much, but figuring out the best way to keep the enemy in the middle of your screen will definitely help you win a few more 1v1 battles.

That's the biggest hurdle for me since my muscle memory is so wrapped up in Gears 3 that it just takes over.

My dream Gears game would be take the core of Gears 1 and make it as smooth as Gears 3. This game is close but still feels a bit stickier than Gears 3. Also I miss my digger.

Isocr4cy

I don't think I can beat RAAM on insane, been trying for like 2 hours. The whole thing is just a mess on UE, specifically the lighting. The train looks like a fucking sunny day yet the kryll randomly attack you. In the original at least you could tell what was dark. Also Dom is a FUCKING moron running straight to RAAM every fucking time. If I tell him to regroup he sits back with me for about 3 seconds before running straight up to him again.

Beyond frustrating.

Edit: Fuck it I cheesed it.

The Flash

Banned
I don't think I can beat RAAM on insane, been trying for like 2 hours. The whole thing is just a mess on UE, specifically the lighting. The train looks like a fucking sunny day yet the kryll randomly attack you. In the original at least you could tell what was dark. Also Dom is a FUCKING moron running straight to RAAM every fucking time. If I tell him to regroup he sits back with me for about 3 seconds before running straight up to him again.

Beyond frustrating.

Edit: Fuck it I cheesed it.

How?

Isocr4cy

This terribly low quality video shows the glitch.

Basically run up to that 2nd concrete block on the right and wait for RAAM to come up to you. As he chases you around the block keep changing what side of the block you are in cover on and eventually he will get stuck on the block and stop moving. From there just toss your grenades/hit him with the torque bow and then blind-fire shoot him with the lancer till he's dead. Once he's stuck do not leave the cover.

This won't work every time, it took me like 6 tries to get him stuck in a way I could kill him.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
They really botched the playlists in this game. Social is basically the same thing as Competitive but less xp, that's it? Just teams of 3 or 4 steamrolling every game while the other team has random stragglers who quit after each when they get dominated (myself included). There needs to be a bigger difference. Like Social be solo only and scrambled teams every game or something. As it stands now it's insanely unfun if you are by yourself.

There's nothing wrong with the shotgun. If you think there is you couldn't have spent much time on Gears 1 back in the day. Plenty of times you would shoot someone point blank and it wouldn't kill. There is a random spread, just like, you know, an actual shotgun. Landing your shots on target and out maneuvering your enemy is the key to success.

Watch all the whiners make them patch the shotgun and fuck everything up.

People seriously cannot handle the idea they might just be bad at a videogame. This isn't Gears 3 boys, Gears 1 has a brutal learning curve.

Get over it.

EBE

I still think the campaign is mostly wasted on a paper thin drama and characters but I've really come around on the multiplayer. As a total noob, a couple rounds of KotH have REALLY helped bring my skill up.

kingwingin

There's nothing wrong with the shotgun. If you think there is you couldn't have spent much time on Gears 1 back in the day. Plenty of times you would shoot someone point blank and it wouldn't kill. There is a random spread, just like, you know, an actual shotgun. Landing your shots on target and out maneuvering your enemy is the key to success.

Watch all the whiners make them patch the shotgun and fuck everything up.

People seriously cannot handle the idea they might just be bad at a videogame. This isn't Gears 3 boys, Gears 1 has a brutal learning curve.

Get over it.
you do realize after the beta they listed fixes for the ultimate edition and "Multiple fixes and tuning for the Gnasher Shotgun" was #1 on that list.

This isn't the same shotgun from gears 1

Top Bottom