• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geforce 50-series. Are you ready?

Hohenheim

The new Rtx 50-series from Nvidia is obviously getting closer, and many people are getting ready to upgrade their gpu (along with other components to fit the mighty, power hungry new high-end cards).
Some rumours still focus on a q4 2024 release for the top cards, while most seem to agree that early 2025 (around CES) is the time our poor wallets will start weeping.

According to the latest "insider rumours" the top card 5090 will be quite power hungry at 600w, while the 5080 is about the same as the 4090, and offering about 10% performance boost from the 4090.
As for the the 5090, speculations seems to be around 50% improvement over the 4090, but what's perhaps most interesting is the potential DLSS 4.0, which Nvidia has been very silent about so far.
In a recent interview, one of Nvidias Geforce experts only confirmed that they were constantly working on inproving dlss, but would obviously not confirm anything about the upcoming improvements.

So what cards are you looking forward to, and whats your expectations beyond the fact that the top cards will be very expensive indeed..!

I'm saving up for the 5090, and my plan is to combine it with the upcoming 9950x3d cpu from AMD, which should hopefully release around the same time.

Last edited:

GHG

I'm looking forward to people crying about prices for things they were never going to buy anyway.

tenor.gif

I'm sticking with the 40 series for now. But I know not to speak in absolutes so who knows what the next couple of years will bring and how it affects my GPU needs.

Current plan is stick with my current PC and then maybe a full rebuild around the time the 6000 series rolls around.

Myuni

Neo Member
According to the latest "insider rumours" the top card 5090 will be quite power hungry at 600w, while the 5080 is about the same as the 4090, and offering about 10% performance booster from the 4090.
As for the the 5090, speculations seems to be around 50% improvement over the 4090, but what's perhaps most interesting is the potential DLSS 4.0, which Nvidia has been very silent about so far.
If the performance per watt increase is really just 10% I am out.

DLSS 4.0 will quadruple FrameGen FPS I hope and may have better quality at low base framerates.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yes let's all bow to our corporate overlords upping the prices of everything because fuck you give me money! Woo
I agree with you. My issue is that some people publicly condemn some companies for doing it while just happily open their wallets and butts for others (such as nVidia) so I shall be ready to call them out. Considering they have zero competition other than their own previous generation, I expect the 5080 and 5090 to sport quite the pricetag.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Let's see what it can do, how much wattage it requires and how much it costs.

Also... how much I'll feel like I need it. Highly unlikely for current and known upcoming game since nothing I've seen justifies it so far.

Hohenheim

I'm just curious how they will justify the 5090. What performance hog of a game will they release to justify its existence.
Black Myth in 4k @ 200fps with everything maxed out? I don't know what games in the next 3-5 months that will be more impressive, but they'll probably find some eye candy for us!
Maybe the new Gears of War will be the showpiece game?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
I agree with you. My issue is that some people publicly condemn some companies for doing it while just happily open their walles and butts for others (such as nVidia) so I shall be ready to call them out. Considering they have zero competition other than their own previous generation, I expect the 5080 and 5090 to sport quite the pricetag.
Oh yea, I agree with that. Fuck GPU prices these days

GymWolf

Gold Member
Haha, time goes rather fast those days for me.

4080 should be fine with RT off for GTA6.
Somehow i doubt that it is gonna be the case, especially if you can tune the settings way over the console version for stuff like npcs density and shit, why even double dipping on pc if you can't run the game MUCH BETTER than console.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Very ready, 4080 is already struggling with Wukong and i am not even running it fully maxed out, but i wont ever buy any card that uses over 300W (when undervolted to 850mV)
Hope it has some major improvements to RT performance, might be a skip if not.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Somehow i doubt that it is gonna be the case, especially if you can tune the settings way over the console version for stuff like npcs density and shit, why even double dipping on pc if you can't run the game MUCH BETTER than console.
This is all too hypothetical so we can't have a conclusion anyway. But then I just realized GTA6 might just come out on PC in 2027, so I won't be worrying 4080 when the time comes.

MikeM

Gold Member
Im watching the 5080 but it would need to be a very significant jump in perf and RT for me to buy. Ill check the benchmarks when they come out.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
2027 sound soooo far tho.

When you get used to 4k120-60 on everything, it's hard to come back to anything lower, will gta6 gonna run at 4k60 on a 4080?
Will GTA6 be on PC before 6090? If you are going to wait on that game....

I am in a tough position. I have a 4090 and no willpower, but my HVAC system just died and I had to replace a septic system in March so blowing 2k on a gpu is not an option.

Top Bottom