• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geforce 50-series. Are you ready?

salva

I've been thinking of upgrading my 3070ti to a 4080. But perhaps I should hold out a bit longer for a 5070 or 5080.

Hohenheim

It will be interesting to see VRAM amounts on these cards. You really want 16GB and mobile GPUs skimp on that.
Latest rumours/ "leaks" was 28 gb vram on the 5090. I hope they up it to 32, but not keeping my hopes up for that.
5080 should be at least 20, but who knows... nvidia is not exactly generous with their vram offerings on cards except for the top card.

Zero expectations except that they will continue the price gouging, and PC gamers will continue to throw their money at them for no good reason.

nikos

I'm ready. My PC is ready. My wallet is not ready. Hopefully selling my 4090 will offset the cost by a decent amount. I am expecting to have to put in $700+

night13x

I heard the 5090 with DLSS 4.0 with frame gen next gen will be able to run GTA6 at 1080p at 30 fps. Sold.

But can it run crysis?

on a serious note - been rocking a MSI 4090 suprim liquid X + 7800x3D and 128gb ram. I am pretty happy where I am at now and mainly play pc games either on my alienware ultrawide at 144hz or my LG C2 4k @ 120hz. I am not sure if (FOR ME) a 5090 will be warrented. However - those who are upgrading from previous gens - enjoy!

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
My Lenovo Legion case might not fit an air-cooled card. :(
13 inches of space, if I remove one of the front fans.
4 slots available but really should use 3 to allow for air.

I like this Lenovo Case because it quiet and it fits under my 82" TV stand, The cubbies are almost 20 inches tall, fits a PS5 standing up with a few inches to spare. I have powered vents in the back of the stand to help move air out, so things don't get hot.

Thermaltake Tower 300 is at the top of my list if a replacement case is needed, Won't fit under the TV so I'll move it to the side.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm much more excited to see what advancements are made to gaming performance at 20W than at 200-600W. Even beyond the minimal monetary difference in running 600W 10 hours/day vs 20W (you're only talking ~$500/year which is nothing when these devices cost $2000 to begin with), there's just something so fascinating to see devices like the Switch run at under 10W and put out what they can - particularly for the games that run well (native res, 60fps) vs devices using 20x or more power.

Last edited:

Diddy X

I'm good with my 4070, right thing for me would be to wait for 60xx series and not fall for performance greed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hate the trend of chasing performance without caring about efficiency.

My 4080 already heats up my room like an oven.

It is absolutely baking Dave.

You AIB likely providing well too much energy to your 4080.
Undervolt /powerlimit it and it should be much more efficient without losing much if any performance.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'll be buying one... either the 5080 or the 5090 - not sure which yet.

I'm still running a GTX1080. It isn't very good. It's 8... going on 9 years old. I was going to give it the heave ho when the 3000 series came out, but never ended up doing it, so.... yeah, I think it's fair for me to pull the trigger on building a new computer once the 5000 series finally hits.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As a 4090 owner I WISH there were some game that really needed something more powerful to max it out.

I really hope 5000 series has some fancy new feature along with some games to really show it off. I’ll gladly upgrade when/if there are games I want to play that will actually benefit from it. I just don’t see anything like that right now.

Last edited:
OH YES, POUND MY WALLET, LEATHER JACKET DADDY.

images

PeteBull

5090 only 10% more powerful than 4090 and costs $1999.
all the info there, obviously only specs/power draw and not price, thats decided last.

Bry0

Probably keeping my 4080 unless there is a big vram bump in the $1000 range, but I’m doubting it.

StereoVsn

all the info there, obviously only specs/power draw and not price, thats decided last.
I can see $2K price. 10% better performance over 4090 is rumored for 5080, not 5090.

If the performance increase is substantial over my 3090, I'll consider upgrading to a 50 series card. Hopefully we see a reveal before the end of the year.

probably skipping this upgrade and sticking with my 4090...

unless they come with a price not higher than the 4090 at release date and a minimum 30% improved rasta performance. The only games I can hit a bottleneck is trying to bruteforce certain poorly optimized VR games.

Disco Dave

The new Rtx 50-series from Nvidia is obviously getting closer, and many people are getting ready to upgrade their gpu (along with other components to fit the mighty, power hungry new high-end cards).
Some rumours still focus on a q4 2024 release for the top cards, while most seem to agree that early 2025 (around CES) is the time our poor wallets will start weeping.

According to the latest "insider rumours" the top card 5090 will be quite power hungry at 600w, while the 5080 is about the same as the 4090, and offering about 10% performance boost from the 4090.
As for the the 5090, speculations seems to be around 50% improvement over the 4090, but what's perhaps most interesting is the potential DLSS 4.0, which Nvidia has been very silent about so far.
In a recent interview, one of Nvidias Geforce experts only confirmed that they were constantly working on inproving dlss, but would obviously not confirm anything about the upcoming improvements.

So what cards are you looking forward to, and whats your expectations beyond the fact that the top cards will be very expensive indeed..!

I'm saving up for the 5090, and my plan is to combine it with the upcoming 9950x3d cpu from AMD, which should hopefully release around the same time.
sBlxvH2.jpeg

Yup, super excited to get my first xx90 card however I have the feeling it’s going to be really hard to get one day one because of demand, and scalpers

I respect that for a few people there's hunger to upgrade their systems. But for me that makes no sense. I barely play on my PC. That's why I'm still on my Power Color Red Devil 5700XT and a Ryzen 3700X.

There's only one game that I would my system for. GTAVI.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Hehe, yeah this seems to be a problem many places, but these new cards are always available here at release. Even the 3090 was easy to find at release and all the way through covid and the crypto shit show.
No, it wasn’t. In fact there was such scarcity that many sites were offering raffles for a slot to order 3xxx, sometimes even forcing you to buy a bundle in order to secure one. I traveled all over Southern California, across multiple cities and even checked stock x, which was somewhat helpful in the end.

iHaunter

I'm looking forward to people crying about prices for things they were never going to buy anyway.

tenor.gif
Apparently, that guy is a douche. But I stopped buying new GPUs. I'm using an RX 6600XT right now and can play all the games that I want at 1440/60 with no issues.

Top Bottom