• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geforce 50-series. Are you ready?

Fess

Not yet.

My upgrade path the last decade:
780ti
- skipped the 8xx serie
980ti
1080ti
- skipped the 20xx serie
3070ti
4090 + 4080S
- skipping the 50xx serie unless they unveil some new exciting exclusive feature I just can’t be without, which seems unlikely.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Going from 4k 200fps to 4k 250fps in games is gonna be so worth $3000.... /s

Seriously though, what is out there that is actually taxing, hell what is out there that actually makes use of the horsepower inside of a 4090!? Cause all those PC games don't look a huge difference to shit running on a PS5, if it was a similar leap from say a Switch to PS5 I'd be considering ditching playstation and building a decent one, but I ain't seeing it..

zeroluck

2x rays every 2 years like clockwork, it is time

huang-jensen-nvidia-ceo.gif

Last edited:
Will the 40- series price drop when 50-series come out?
I'm not familiar with pc so still need to know should I wait to buy a 40-series or just buy 1 now.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

For a 1080 60fps laptop buyer, the 4 series power efficiency will look mighty appetizing after the price drop.

Last edited:
I'm not familar with pc so still need to know should I wait to buy a 40-series or just buy 1 now.
If(!) the rumors are true amd will come up with new Gpus which should have the performance of a 4070 TI Super/4080 for about 500/600$.

This could cause Nvidia to lower the prices of their 4000 series cards.

The only question is by how much.
Because Nvidia cards still have the advantage of Dlss and Frame Generation.

Holammer

I'm ready! *Spongebob voice*
I've been holding on to this 1080 since it released and now I'm finally going to get a 5080. Seriously considered a 90, but I mostly play indies.
This old soldier still got spunk in him, delivers 60fps in everything I throw at it. With some compromises of course, but Ratchet & Clank Ripped a Fart, Returnal worked great and I have 273h in Helldivers 2 with pretty smooth gameplay.

OverHeat

« generous god »
My 3090 is getting pretty long in the tooth, I got it launch year. Yeah, I'm ready. Lay that $2k price for the 5090 on me Jensen, I can afford it because I have your company's stock!

The more [NVDA stock] you buy, the more you save [on Nvidia GPU's]!
Only with RT you still have a good card

Mithos

Gold Member
I will/would buy a card if its;

1. Within my budget
2. Provides an substantial uplift in gfx/performance compared to my current gpu.

Last edited:

CuNi

Have a 3080 and will most likely go for 5090 next.
Recently upgraded from a 1080p@240hz Screen to a 4k OLED @240hz.
Gonna need the extgra horsepower.

geary

Based on past experience do you think would worth changing my 3080 10 GB with 5070/5080? Would be a big boost?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
My 3090 is getting pretty long in the tooth, I got it launch year. Yeah, I'm ready. Lay that $2k price for the 5090 on me Jensen, I can afford it because I have your company's stock!

The more [NVDA stock] you buy, the more you save [on Nvidia GPU's]!

Same boat just without the shares sadly. The 3090 handles most games I play with reasonable flare. I'm more interested in AI performance these days though rather than strictly gaming.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Will GTA6 be on PC before 6090? If you are going to wait on that game....

I am in a tough position. I have a 4090 and no willpower, but my HVAC system just died and I had to replace a septic system in March so blowing 2k on a gpu is not an option.
If i had a 4090 the choice would be much easier.

I bought the RTX4080S knowing that the RTX5080 will be released soon in Q1 2025. Availability will be scarce (because Nvidia is now focusing on the professional market) and prices will be well above MSRP, so the RTX5080 is really not that exciting to me and anything below this card will not be much better than my 4080S (the 5070 will probably still have 12GB VRAM).

I'm not a fan of incremental upgrades. I have been using my old GTX1080 and 1080ti for many years and only recently (TLOU and UE5 games) made me realize it was finally time to upgrade (I could no longer game at 1440p 60fps).

Games runs so well on my PC (thanks to AI I get 4K 120fps even in extremely demanding games like Hellblade 2) so I'm sure my RTX 4080S will still last me till the end of PS5 generation. My next GPU will be probably RTX7800 and it should last entire PS6 generation as well :p.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I'm looking forward to people crying about prices for things they were never going to buy anyway.

tenor.gif
I am going to complain about Nvidia’s prices and still buy their damn GPUs.

Dreading to see how much they charge for 5090 and 5080. Thinking $2K and $1299.

I also can’t wait to see another 5060 that should have been a 5050.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nah. My 4070 Super plays all the shit already, and I don't mind giving up on either 4K or RTX depending on the game.
So unless some crazy games start coming out demanding a 50XX series GPU, I think I'm skipping.

Plus I'm saving for a new car. :goog_relieved:

That thing should go the hall of fame of greatest GPUs ever.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I hope to upgrade from a 3080 Ti

But @ ultrawide 1440p, I don't see the game on the horizon that will kneecap my setup? Wukong after optimized settings was ~60 fps and I don't see a game on the horizon dethroning this for a while.

Maybe a 5070 or something.

Squadron 42 coming out 2025 would probably push me to upgrade

I'm looking to buy a new laptop pretty soon, and I want the latest GPUs after skipping 40-series. Could be anywhere between 5060 and 5080 depending on pricing and performance.

BlackTron

If I was a millionaire I couldn't accept the 90 level cards asking prices. To play a video game, my limit is still a 4070. Best value I can get in a $550 GPU. We'll see if 50 series does better, or makes it easy to get a used 40 series.

Honestly I would be more excited if Intel presents their new cards. Don’t get me wrong, I am still happy with my 4080 and don’t plan to upgrade anytime soon, but I just hope Intel is closing the gap more and more and NVIDIA and AMD must offer more competitive prices, when I finally need a new card.

StereoVsn

I'm looking to buy a new laptop pretty soon, and I want the latest GPUs after skipping 40-series. Could be anywhere between 5060 and 5080 depending on pricing and performance.
It will be interesting to see VRAM amounts on these cards. You really want 16GB and mobile GPUs skimp on that.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I am gonna skip it, as i have a 4070 super, and probably even the next generation.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with pc so still need to know should I wait to buy a 40-series or just buy 1 now.

Probably depends on what model you would be looking at. nVidia usually slashes if not ends production of the desktop cards when the new ones come out. Thing is, I suspect the 4070 GDDR6 was introduced because it (and any cards cheaper) are going to be around a bit longer. It would make sense if Blackwell doesn't support GDDR6X, only GDDR6 or 7.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m still on a 3090 so I’m upgrading to the 5090 or Titan or whatever the top card at launch is. I’ve been looking forward to this upgrade for a long time.

I expect q1 2025

Last edited:
Going to make the jump from my 3080 Ti, but I hope I can actually get an FE. It's super annoying that you can only get them through Best Buy, and they are always seemingly sold out. It's been like this for years now. I only got my 3080 Ti because EVGA (RIP) smartly had a queue where you just paid and waited.

Will default to AMD after having had my first positive experience with a Sapphire card not long ago until Nvidia delivers acceptable open source Linux drivers.

Tunned

I think I'll hold out with my 4090 till the 6XXX series, considering I use the Steam Deck 80% of the time for gaming...
Unless the 5090 is a 100% jump over the 4090, then I'll consider.

10x more power consumption, 1.1x more performance.

No, I am not interested in this waste
This.

I have always found you get most bang for your buck by waiting 2 cycles to upgrade from GPU to GPU with NVIDIA.

I went from RTX 2080 to RTX 4080 - huge gains.

I doubt the RTX 5080 add much; I'll just wait for the RTX 6080 instead.

Besides, it seems like we're going to be stuck with the PS5 and PS5 Pro for quite a while. I'm sure the RTX 4080 will guaruntee 4K60 (+/- DLSS) for this entire gen.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see VRAM amounts on these cards. You really want 16GB and mobile GPUs skimp on that.

Capacity hasn't changed at all except the lowest tier has 8 now instead of 6. There is apparently also a second model with 16 GB, probably the 5080 Ti Laptop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom