• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

They aren't really sucking up any of the vote from Ossof so far, not any significant numbers by the looks of it.

lol that indie guy has 1 vote so far, that must suck. It was probably him.

Actually, they have sucked up 1% of the vote so far.

Nate Cohn:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/18/us/politics/georgia-special-election-live.html
One tiny note to keep in mind: So far, 1 percent of the early vote has gone to the no-name Democratic candidates in the race (there are four others on the ballot). That could be quite painful to Democrats if Ossoff finishes at 49 percent or so.

For those of you who were following this race more closely, what factors went into play so that the original (5?) Democrats were whittled down to just Ossof? Did they go willingly? Pushed out? Organically decided? It's an interesting contrast to the Republicans' strategy in this race.

edit: Oh wait, they're still on the ballot. Was it too late to take them off? Or are they actually still trying?

Well the republican strategy to the race was quite similiar to the primary run. They seem to enjoy fielding a lot of candidates.

Ossof I think was just endorsed most and got a lot of steam from the party.

Trying to get the other slot in case of a runoff I'm guessing?

Nah, they weren't going to beat Ossoff or Handel either way. You've got three distinct groups that run in Special Elections:
1. Party members looking to win, or raise their profile
2. Candidates looking to raise the profile of a particular policy. Often these are the weird, kooky or single issue folks
3. Dead-weight, encouraged or funded by the opposition party to suck votes from a candidate viewed as the strongest horse in the race.

Chumly

For those of you who were following this race more closely, what factors went into play so that the original (5?) Democrats were whittled down to just Ossof? Did they go willingly? Pushed out? Organically decided? It's an interesting contrast to the Republicans' strategy in this race.

edit: Oh wait, they're still on the ballot. Was it too late to take them off? Or are they actually still trying?
It's a jungle primary. Top two people go in a runoff unless you get 50% of the vote. So by the nature of the election sometimes you only need 10-25% of the vote to be "the" candidate. This attracts a ton of people

Edit: California already held one or is holding one soon that has like 20 democratic candidates

ICO_SotC

One tiny note to keep in mind: So far, 1 percent of the early vote has gone to the no-name Democratic candidates in the race (there are four others on the ballot). That could be quite painful to Democrats if Ossoff finishes at 49 percent or so.

Preparing myself for this very scenario.

rjinaz

Conor Sen‏ @conorsen

BREAKING: Ashford Park Elementary in DeKalb reports. Ossoff with 53.0% of 827 votes cast. Hillary got 45.6% here.

legacyzero

Banned
Conor Sen‏ @conorsen

BREAKING: Ashford Park Elementary in DeKalb reports. Ossoff with 53.0% of 827 votes cast. Hillary got 45.6% here.

#FIGHTBACK

wfovn4o2mjrf.gif

That indie guy I did some looking into his platform and what he's about. Turns out he's a big Science guy!

200px-Andre_Pollard.jpg

His top 4 campaign platform bullet points :

1.Promote more women into technology
2.Promote more inner city youths into technology
3.Promote more legacy workforce into technology
4.Promote more welfare recipents into technology

lol hmmm who does this guy remind me of...

hqdefault.jpg

mcfrank

Nate_Cohn: Ossoff at 57% in the Cobb County early vote. That's more impressive than the DeKalb tally. Ossoff on track for 2/3 of the EV

rambis

Banned
That indie guy I did some looking into his platform and what he's about. Turns out he's a big Science guy!

200px-Andre_Pollard.jpg

His top 4 campaign platform bullet points :

1.Promote more women into technology
2.Promote more inner city youths into technology
3.Promote more legacy workforce into technology
4.Promote more welfare recipents into technology

lol hmmm who does this guy remind me of...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SuhI_jabtE8/hqdefault.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
Very cool but he looks awful in that suit. Its sad but that alone is all some people need to see.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well the republican strategy to the race was quite similiar to the primary run. They seem to enjoy fielding a lot of candidates.

Ossof I think was just endorsed most and got a lot of steam from the party.
Looking back at some older articles, yeah it seems that way. I thought there might have been something I missed though.

It's a jungle primary. Top two people go in a runoff unless you get 50% of the vote. So by the nature of the election sometimes you only need 10-25% of the vote to be "the" candidate. This attracts a ton of people

Edit: California already held one or is holding one soon that has like 20 democratic candidates
I know how this election is structured, but I was just wondering about any of the inside mechanizations and strategizations that the state party structures used, if at all.

"FAKE, illegal immigrants voted, etc,etc,etc" probably

If he wins 50% +1, that will be the Conservative narrative.

Either way, if Ossoff wins he is responsible for being the Dems new point-man for trolling Trump. Just plan to send a daily tweet laughing at Trump's tiny baby hands.

mcfrank

If he wins 50% +1, that will be the Conservative narrative.

Either way, if Ossoff wins he is responsible for being the Dems new point-man for trolling Trump. Just plan to send a daily tweet laughing at Trump's tiny baby hands.

Thats not what appeals to his district. Maxine Waters can do that (and I am proud to call her my congresswoman)

Chumly

Looking back at some older articles, yeah it seems that way. I thought there might have been something I missed though.

I know how this election is structured, but I was just wondering about any of the inside mechanizations and strategizations that the state party structures used, if at all.
Even when the state party effectively endorses a candidate I think the most of the rest of the candidates don't give a shit and don't care if they are the Ralph Nader of the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom