• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, now I'll have to read more misspelled tweets from a man who, despite everything, keeps winning

I'll never again believe the US is a meritocracy. Just a reward system for harnessing hatred

It's a weird-ass primary for a weird-ass special election for a single House seat in a heavily Republican district that will be up for election again in a little over a year.

Close the thread and go to bed or something if you're this traumatized over something that might lead to--in a best-case scenario--some deeply aggressive tea-leaf reading.

Crocodile

Just as an FWIW, when you're posting results, make it clear if its the percentage of the districts that are in or the vote that is in. Those are different numbers and the reason why people are posting what seem like conflicting results. Only make vote% to vote% and district% to district% comparisons.

Y'all just don't learn. Stop hanging on to every single percentage update.

Come back in an hour or so. Check in, don't F5 this shit.

JohnsonUT

Just as an FWIW, when you're posting results, make it clear if its the percentage of the districts that are in or the vote that is in. Those are different numbers and the reason why people are posting what seem like conflicting results. Only make vote% to vote% and district% to district% comparisons.

Percent is almost always precinct. It is not possible to know percent of votes counted until the votes have all been reported.

Magni

Imagine if he gets just below 50%, but the Dems' total votes were above 50%. Why are there other Dems running? From the NYT, those other Dems have a combined 0.9% of the vote, which could make the difference if this comes down to the wire.

numble

The percentage of vote that is in is objectively inaccurate unless you know exactly how many votes have been cast, and you don't know that until all precincts have reported.

mcfrank

Imagine if he gets just below 50%, but the Dems' total votes were above 50%. Why are there other Dems running? From the NYT, those other Dems have a combined 0.9% of the vote, which could make the difference if this comes down to the wire.

Then that bodes well for him in the run off in a few weeks. Basically he just has to convince a few thousand people to switch to him, but the Republican has to convince 50 - 60 thousand people to switch to her.

kirblar

People who won't get out of the way costing Dems seats in FPTP elections in the US?

It's an annual tradition at this point.

Eh the nature of these special elections / primaries, that's just a part of the process. For all we know they might have effectively dropped out after Ossoff got the attention, but cant remove themselves from the ballot.

Wilsongt

tenor.gif

Ac30

I'm like 100% sure at this point the spoilers will ruin it

Boke1879

Again yall. Him getting over 50% was shooting for the moon. Especially in this district. People should have been a bit more rational.

Even if he doesn't hit 50%+1 tonight, it isn't over. We'll get another chance in the June runoff. Him winning this outright tonight was always a longshot.

Xe4

Banned
It's gonna be close for sure, but I don't think Ossof is going to get 50%. Damn shame, but at least he gets another shot in June.

Slime

Banned
Terrified about not being able to flip every +20 R district?

Dems keep up this momentum they might actually flip some of the races they lost by 10% or less last time.

That is, if they actually capitalize on this.

You realize this is not the end of this process right?

Why? this is a heavy GOP district.

We aren't going to flip all of them.

I should clarify,

I'm terrified of how I deal with 2018 emotionally.

Boke1879

Does anyone pay attention to anything

No, and I truly question how people view these things. You know people on twitter are going to be talking all sorts of shit without even understand the district.

Also. So what he doesn't win outright? You don't pack your bags and claim defeat. You have another shot in June. More money will be poured in, more time to craft a message etc.

I know the temptation of wanted a win outright, but this was always going to be a longshot.

This isn't even a midterm.

Ac30

I'm kind of worried the Democrats losing this race is going to kill some fervor - Most of us here know this was always a long shot, but DailyKos and the like poured tons of money and time into this race. The worst outcome is a deflated base.

rjinaz

Seriously, what the fuck. This being a close race in the slightest is going to scare the shit out of every Republican not in a totally red stronghold.

yeah let's not let the Republican rhetoric win. They want people thinking these were big wins for them. They want Democrats demoralized. Trump can have his shallow words, because what is happening is that we're getting close to flipping deep red seats. The potential progress in 2018 is amazing. Focus on that.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account
@Redistrict

PROJECTION: #GA06 is headed to a 6/20 runoff between Jon Ossoff (D) & Karen Handel (R). @CookPolitical still rates race a Toss Up.

That just about does it

Getting even close in a GOP stronghold state woudl be a big deal. There is a lot of time to adjust campaign strategy between now and 2018's general election.

Magni

^ yes

Eh the nature of these special elections / primaries, that's just a part of the process. For all we know they might have effectively dropped out after Ossoff got the attention, but cant remove themselves from the ballot.

Ah, good point. Still, who are these voters? Wonder if there are any Republicans in there doing this out of spite. (if you don't care which Repub makes it to the runoff, then a vote for a Dem other than Ossoff is still a vote for a runoff).

Then that bodes well for him in the run off in a few weeks. Basically he just has to convince a few thousand people to switch to him, but the Republican has to convince 50 - 60 thousand people to switch to her.

True, but I'd be worried about a unified Republican front in the runoff. Would be much nicer to just win this one outright.

Not

Banned
I just wanted Trump to go full caps ballistic like a less-inhibited-than-average 5-year-old

I love it when that happens

Boke1879

I should clarify,

I'm terrified of how I deal with 2018 emotionally.

I feel you on that. 2018 is going to have so much attention. Everyone is going to be trying to put in work. GOP will be playing defense while Dems try to break through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom