• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

More blue than what? You're talking maybe two percent compared to Cobb's sixth.

Most of the Democratic vote in Fulton comes from mid and south.

Fulton has been much more blue in this primary than Cobb. So far it is +13% for Ossoff in Fulton compared to Cobb.

It'll be interesting to see if the closeness of this race encourages some Democrats or Independents - who otherwise stayed at home tonight because they thought, and for good reason (in a district that hasn't seen a non-Republican candidate win for 40 years) that there would be no hope anyway - to actually come out and vote in June.

It's going to be offset by Republicans who knew there'd be at least one R in the runoff to come out and vote. And vote for whomever came out of the morass.

The total Republican vote in June will exceed what is counted tonight. Most likely more than any Democratic vote would increase.

Ac30

Runoffs are stupid. Its not our fault Republicans had 17 people running. There should have been only 1 election.

Believe me, you'd love a run-off for the presidency like they have in France - less chance of a spoiler candidate, and if Trump actually made the runoff Dems would wake up to the reality that he did have a chance.

Boke1879

It'll be interesting to see if the closeness of this race encourages some Democrats or Independents - who otherwise stayed at home tonight because they thought, and for good reason (in a district that hasn't seen a non-Republican candidate win for 40 years) that there would be no hope anyway - to actually come out and vote in June.

Yup. Dude needs to make some sort of speech tomorrow that helps keep people encouraged.

jerry113

Banned
It's going to be offset by Republicans who knew there'd be at least one R in the runoff to come out and vote. And vote for whomever came out of the morass.

The total Republican vote in June will exceed what is counted tonight. Most likely more than any Democratic vote would increase.

I guess the Democrats have a lot of work ahead of them to do before the midterms in 2018. They really have to win the goodwill of the people, deliver a loud and clear message, and not just ride on the faults of the opposition.

Fulton has been much more blue in this primary than Cobb. So far it is +13% for Ossoff in Fulton compared to Cobb.

The parts make a difference. I don't have a live feed to give insight as to where the votes are coming from.

Roswell has a decent Hispanic area, but north of that is Aspen-white.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And we all know how Democrats come out in off year elections. I'm sure a second election for the same seat will see record turnout.

It's staying a R seat.

Jenov

If cobb finishes and Ossoff is still above 50% with fulton and dekalb left to count, he could win this. Both fulton and dekalb have been leaning ossoff all night.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, the demographics of counties that are counted vs not counted means he would need a miracle to take the W tonight. Shame, but not entirely surprising. If he runs a damn decent campaign, I think he has a decent chance in June.

I know it's a prinary, but I wish the other democratic candidates would've dropped out when they saw they had no chance. It would have helped quite a bit, though who knows if it would've been enough.

And we all know how Democrats come out in off year elections. I'm sure a second election for the same seat will see record turnout.

It's staying a R seat.
Democrats do bad in an off election year with a *democratic* president. It's not fair st all to generalize that for all elections. 2006 is the most obvious recent example. The was a slaughter.

Tying the polling (~46%) or better is a great result, considering.

Winning outright today was always going to kinda rely on absolutely perfect circumstances of depressed turnout amongst Rs and good day of turnout.

Kinda think the whole thing peaked too early with the attention the race was getting, giving the GOP a little time to put some money/energy into it.

Not

Banned
Man, I love how Republicans are the ones who know how to show the fuck up. Makes me damn proud to be a liberal. Really does.

Crocodile

It's staying a R seat.

I'm not making any projections for future elections but the common wisdom is more in line that the party that doesn't have the White House are the ones that come out more in force during off years. Remember the Democratic Wave of 2006? Democrats did unusually poorly the past few midterms but as the party with the WH, they were expected to lose seats. If Trump et al. still keep fucking up, the election for this GA-06 seat in June will remain competitive.

Ml697_s-200x150.gif

JP_

Banned

It'll be interesting to see if the dem leadership can get their engines running for a successful test drive before 2018.

Ac30

Man, I love how Republicans are the ones who know how to show the fuck up. Makes me damn proud to be a liberal. Really does.

I listened to a wonderful article that basically stated Millennials want candidates to appeal to them directly and earn their vote, while old people just see (R) and tick it. We're way too choosy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm not making any projections for future elections but the common wisdom is more in line that the party that doesn't have the White House are the ones that come out more in force during off years. Remember the Democratic Wave of 2006? Democrats did unusually poorly the past few midterms but as the party with the WH, they were expected to lose seats. If Trump et al. still keep fucking up, the election for this GA-06 seat in June will remain competitive.

Republicans will unify, they will bring out the smear campaign. Hell the "he doesn't even live int he district" thing will probably be enough. Democrats will unify around squat.

They had a chance tonight, they blew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom