• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry113

Banned
So if it's a toss-up between Osoff and Handel in 6/20, Osoff has an advantage there right?

edit: Oh, I see. Not necessarily.

So if it's a toss-up between Osoff and Handel in 6/20, Osoff has an advantage there right?

edit: Oh, I see. Not necessarily.

Right, not necessarily. It depends on how close to 50% he is, and if there's more than enough democratic and independent votes out there should all the republicans unify behind Handel.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted Trump to go full caps ballistic like a less-inhibited-than-average 5-year-old

I love it when that happens

Dude is good enough at finding Ls regardless.

Regardless, I'm sure the democrat vote will be impressive considering the district's normal alignment.

By "almost no chance" you mean "a toss up that could go either way"

Saying it would be a tossup completely ignores the demographics here.

People may not like Trump, but there's still going to be a contestant with an R behind their name.

Not sure why people keep saying this, if he gets 49% of the vote he only needs to gain 1% more of the vote. The others Dems alone account for that. Whoever wins on the republican side needs to gain all their opponents votes in order to have a chance, and there is no guarantee that will be the case. Asking a single candidate to win 50% or more in a jungle primary was already asking for too much, its crazy talk to believe this was his best shot.

I live here. It was his best shot.

Allard

Yeah, but then its much harder. Its only 1 Republican then and they can all rally around it. His best shot was tonight.

Not sure why people keep saying this, if he gets 49% of the vote he only needs to gain 1% more of the vote. The others Dems alone account for that. Whoever wins on the republican side needs to gain all their opponents votes in order to have a chance, and there is no guarantee that will be the case. Asking a single candidate to win 50% or more in a jungle primary was already asking for too much, its crazy talk to believe this was his best shot.

Ac30

"There's still a chance" people are almost as annoying as the doom sayers

Remember election night?

Good times

I'm still scarred

DeKalb is already over 50% counted, it's donzo folks, but we're off to a good start for June.

Chumly

There is a reason why people are saying it. Prerunoff elections always have a lower turnout. 1 dem verses 1 republican is likely to be a negative. Republicans would be more motivated to come out to vote against him. Again it's not impossible but there is a lot of work to be done

wandering

Banned

Republicans always fall in line. You saw it in 2016.

jerry113

Banned
That's good news, though. If Total D > Total R, then the runoff should presumably be a win (although that obviously ignores turnout changes, which will be huge).

Osoff would need to ramp up his campaign until the runoff: he would need to keep the Democrats in his district excited while convincing some of those Republican voters to switch over to him between now and June.

Boke1879

Osoff would need to ramp up his campaign until the runoff: he would need to keep the Democrats in his district excited while convincing some of those Republican voters to switch over to him between now and June.

I mean this going to a runoff will get more attention. For both sides. It's a coin toss. More money gets put into and all that jazz.

I don't view it as a negative. It's just an election.

jerry113

Banned
I mean this going to a runoff will get more attention. For both sides. It's a coin toss. More money gets put into and all that jazz.

I don't view it as a negative. It's just an election.

It'll be interesting to see if the closeness of this race encourages some Democrats or Independents - who otherwise stayed at home tonight because they thought, and for good reason (in a district that hasn't seen a non-Republican candidate win for 40 years) that there would be no hope anyway - to actually come out and vote in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom