• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Only 16% reporting for Fulton though...is it that unlikely it continues to break for Ossoff?

So far Cobb and Delkab are pretty closely mirroring Clinton's percentages with a slight 1-2% up tick, Fulton currently is way off that scale, my hunch is that ratio is going to drop before this is over. Its probably best we assume like many experts are already saying this is heading for a runoff.

Chumly

If cobb finishes and Ossoff is still above 50% with fulton and dekalb left to count, he could win this. Both fulton and dekalb have been leaning ossoff all night.
Early votes were ossoff. As today's vote came in his vote percentage has gone down significantly in all counties

Unless Fulton comes through heavily, then we'll have the runoff in June. Cobb is a lost cause, and DeKalb is almost done.

Edit: DeKalb is done. It's all downhill from here. :(

Chumly

True but those count the early vote so he's not winning 55 percent of the vote today.
Exactly. Ossoff has to win the rest of the Fulton vote from today to actually win. Not just the early votes.

It's skewed right now and not representing what he's actually getting

You can margin that the people who voted for Ossoff will still vote for him come June. If anything, a close victory here would help him tremendously. Handel is not particularly popular and has lost election after election in Georgia. It's no given that the Gray/Moody/Hill voters will instantly back her.

I'm still excited with this type of turnout in GA-06.

Democrats didn't blow it, they made good gains off Trump. They got it close.

Unfortunately, there's no prize in politics for getting close.

It's no given that the Gray/Moody/Hill voters will instantly back her.

It's a safe bet they will. Can't have those dirty libtards getting uppity.

Chumley

Banned
Republicans will unify, they will bring out the smear campaign. Hell the "he doesn't even live int he district" thing will probably be enough. Democrats will unify around squat.

They had a chance tonight, they blew it.

Pretty much this.

Democrats are so fucking shit at unifying and campaigning. They still think the American people are smart and won't feed into scare tactics, no matter how many times they've been decimated in elections from exactly those two things.

They come up short every single time because they keep overestimating middle America.

Not

Banned
Democrats will unify around squat.

That's what I think. Republicans got something to lose, so they vote out of fear.

How do we make smart people afraid? I mean, I thought Trump would do the trick but nope, apparently after tonight dems still gonna dem

Just gotta keep rallying. We're so used to instant gratification and that's the exact opposite of this process. Well, unless you have majority in congress. Well, unless you're Republicans.

edit: Basically, all you saying "The Dems didn't come out," I say to you "Dems can't spawn from no where." We're probably seeing, realistically, all the Dem votes in the area. It's just hard to overcome massively Republican zones.

We'll get the other, purple zones as long as we don't give in to shitty "Welp, it's all over" rhetoric.

Boke1879

Jesus Christ some of yall are really getting bent out of shape we aren't going to win this by over 50% in a heavy R district?

geomon

That's what I think. Republicans got something to lose, so they vote out of fear.

How do we make smart people afraid? I mean, I thought Trump would do the trick but nope, apparently after tonight dems still gonna dem

When people start dying again and losing their homes and jobs like what happened under Bush.

Just... no. Dem turnout was high for a contest like this. If you look at these results and think the democrats didn't make a huge push here, or turnout... then you are in complete panic mode and you need to chill for a bit until you calm down.

This was a long shot, and it was close enough that the GOP got the fucking President involved in a special election that isn't even a primary, because a loss here would have been massively embarrassing. That it didn't happen (yet! it still could!) just means that we can't expect to win states that traditionally are 20+ for the GOP in house races.

Which, you know... isn't anything close to bad news. We just don't get the huge lift a win would be.

Crocodile

If your reaction to barely missing 50% of this Jungle primary is to declare 10,000 years of Trump, you probably shouldn't have followed this primary :p

Pretty much this.

Democrats are so fucking shit at unifying and campaigning. They still think the American people are smart and won't feed into scare tactics, no matter how many times they've been decimated in elections from exactly those two things.

They come up short every single time because they keep overestimating middle America.

How did Democrats do poorly "at unifying and campaigning"? Please tell me in your analysis of this race for GA-06 how that occurred? How did 30 year old Jon Ossoff, documentary filmmaker, "overstimate middle America"?

Anyway, if this race goes onto the runoff, good deal. I'd take our chances. This primary gives Democrats optimism for the future as did the Thompson race in Kansas. People seem to forget Newt Gingrich came from this friggin district. Getting close to or above 50% for a Democrat in this district is an amazing stat only three months into the clown-car that is the Trump presidency.

mcfrank

Update from Daily Kos:

And...right on cue...DeKalb drops both its VBM votes and its final two precincts. The good news? Ossoff crushed in the VBM, taking just over 80 percent. The bad news? It was only a total of 2200 votes. But that does get Ossoff a bit more comfortably north of 50 percent.

However, it also means that his best turf is now in the books. He’s going to need something in Fulton that no one is expecting, or he’s likely to fall just short of 50 percent.

jerry113

Banned
This was a long shot, and it was close enough that the GOP got the fucking President involved in a special election that isn't even a primary, because a loss here would have been massively embarrassing. .

Lol this. The president had to come out to speak out about a race in a district where Republicans traditionally had a +20 point lead.

Ac30

Update from Daily Kos:

And...right on cue...DeKalb drops both its VBM votes and its final two precincts. The good news? Ossoff crushed in the VBM, taking just over 80 percent. The bad news? It was only a total of 2200 votes. But that does get Ossoff a bit more comfortably north of 50 percent.

However, it also means that his best turf is now in the books. He's going to need something in Fulton that no one is expecting, or he's likely to fall just short of 50 percent.

Those other Democrats stealing 1% of the vote are making me irrationally angry.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's a safe bet they will. Can't have those dirty libtards getting uppity.

Cochese knows what's up being a fellow Georgian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom