• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

How did Democrats do "shit at unifying and campaigning"? Please tell me in your analysis of this race for GA-06 how that occurred? How did 30 year old Jon Ossoff, documentary filmmaker, "overstimate middle America"?

Anyway, if this race goes onto the runoff, good deal. I'd take our chances. This primary gives Democrats optimism for the future as did the Thompson race in Kansas. People seem to forget Newt Gingrich came from this friggin district.

Yea we HAVE take our chances in a runoff.

People really need to calm down and stop pushing this bullshit. "Dems didn't do shit" because we didn't get over half the votes in a R+20 district.

I'm sick of this woe is me attitude. Also the self fulfilling prophecy.

"dems don't unite around shit" as you're shitting on dems for not winning something that was a longshot.

OmniOne

So another seat with like a 20 point swing towards the democrats, win or lose, and ya'll trippin'?

This is awful for the GOP, how many elections do we have to see before we can call this a trend?

siganddaxter

Neo Member
Why didn't Dems organize to split the vote lol

This seems so stupid. If half of every couple voted for a different Dem the Dems win big

Pretty much this.

Democrats are so fucking shit at unifying and campaigning. They still think the American people are smart and won't feed into scare tactics, no matter how many times they've been decimated in elections from exactly those two things.

They come up short every single time because they keep overestimating middle America.

This is what you're getting from this special election?

This seems so stupid. If half of every couple voted for a different Dem the Dems win big

I think you're misreading how this works. They need one candidate to cross 50% to avoid a runoff, not the party as a whole.

Oh, wait. I see what you're saying. That almost definitely wouldn't work in such an R-heavy district though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is already an L for the Republicans even if they win a runoff. They lost ground thanks to a shitshow president and the slow creeping realization that abortions n homos ain't stealing jerbs.

Half the chicken lickens in here are not even being intellectually honest in the first place.

siganddaxter

Neo Member
I don't think you understand. The repubs split 50 percent like 8 ways. If the Dems split 50 percent 2 ways (with my couple theory) they'd have both runoff spots

Yeah. I mean, the Dem probably didn't think D had a chance at all, and just wanted to get their name out there for another year, or another election.

Seriously though, worst judgement ever, probably.

People are still bitching about the DNC's effort to push aside Bernie and this is what is being suggested?

Not picking on you specifically, but...this is not a good look.

Slayven

This is already an L for the Republicans even if they win a runoff. They lost ground thanks to a shitshow president and the slow creeping realization that abortions n homos ain't stealing jerbs.

Half the chicken lickens in here are not even being intellectually honest in the first place.
10473-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Quote-If-it-bleeds-we-can-kill-it.jpg

So another seat with like a 20 point swing towards the democrats, win or lose, and ya'll trippin'?

This is awful for the GOP, how many elections do we have to see before we can call this a trend?

It's going to take some actual upsets before it starts sinking in. I think people are still result oriented after November, and I think that's understandable. Trump won. The breakdown of votes didn't change that.

But yeah, this is promising. A win would have been something else entirely.

It's tripping me out that you guys are talking about my junior high classmate, lol. Go Ossoff!

Edit: we had a court system in my class and he was put on the jury of one of my cases...he helped find me innocent for a bullshit charge I'm pretty sure.

Allard

I think you're misreading how this works. They need one candidate to cross 50% to avoid a runoff, not the party as a whole.

He is pointing out if there were two equal dem candidates they would each have 22%+ of the vote which would have knocked out the Republican candidates and the runoff would be against two dems. But that kind of gamble can easily lead to two republicans in the runoff too if not careful.

numble

I don't think you understand. The repubs split 50 percent like 8 ways. If the Dems split 50 percent 2 ways (with my couple theory) they'd have both runoff spots

Really hard to organize something like this unless it is a caucus. And the GOP can play similar chess by organizing around 1 candidate.

Ac30

Can't let that 30 year old whippersnapper steal what's rightfully theirs!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Nice idea, but I don't think that would work in an R-district; they'd need 2 good D candidates for that to work, and you can't tell people how to vote.

You mean try and strategize so that there are 2 dems with 22-25% each so the runoff is only democrats? They'd have to split the vote well enough to lock out the top republican entirely, and that seems super risky. How the heck do you try to divide a party's vote equally?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Nice idea, but I don't think that would work in an R-district; they'd need 2 good D candidates for that to work, and you can't tell people how to vote.

Yup. It happens in CA often. Our Senate race was between two democrats.

I understand that people are on edge because we have a orange fascist fuck as president but freaking out over not winning this in the first round is silly.

Exactly. This election was a symbolic victory whether Ossoff won or not. One extra house vote would do nothing to stop Trump even if Dems did manage 51%, and you'd have to do it again in 2018.

What's important is that like Kansas, Democrats are showing up in sufficient numbers to turn races that should be complete blowouts into nailbiters.

No matter what the talking heads say on Fox or CNN the republican leadership has to be shitting itself right now. Defending a +5 or even +10 district in 2010 against this kind of anger is going to be next to impossible...and that's assuming Trump somehow goes 2 years without a crisis white people care about.

Since there are a few GA peeps in here, anyone know what the fuck the stylized R stickers on the back of cars are? I keep thinking they are secret society code for Republicans.

ag-my001

I'd assume that the filing deadline for candidates was before the big groundswell started. Once the names are printed on the ballot, it's hard to get votes down to zero. See the republican primaries where they floated the idea of tactical voting to deny Trump the outright elector win.

124,917 votes for Dem candidate in 2016. Once again Dems well short of that number, like Kansas 04. Republicans are handing Dems these seats but too many Dem voters continue to only show up in Presidential years.

Dude still has a shot but there's once again tens of thousands of Dems doing nothing.

People are still bitching about the DNC's effort to push aside Bernie and this is what is being suggested?

Not picking on you specifically, but...this is not a good look.

I'm just saying, in the game of strategy, getting one person is key. I'm not saying the other D couldn't run. More, mildly lamenting the lack of jointed strategy to truly capitalize on this leftward movement.

But yeah, I mostly stand by my initial point: They didn't expect to win this time, but seeding your name for later elections isn't exactly a bad idea. Just . . . maybe not this time around, given how close the election is.

JP_

Banned
So we can expect GOP to push hard to keep the seat in June. What are dems going to bring to the fight?

Credit also to Ossoff running his race very well for a newcomer with that much money. He's been very strategic running prime radio and TV ads and has pretty much national name recognition now from nothing a few months ago.

Allard

So what happened??!!I totally forgot. Good news? Looks like he didn't break 50%??

He is still above 50% with almost all of Cobb and all of Delkabb votes in, but the remaining county Fulton is proportionally way above the other two districts voting compared to 2016 where the other two counties only had 2% gain. It looks like most the percentage is based on early voting so that percent is almost certainly going to go down leading to getting below 50%. If it doesn't, the Dem candidate pulled off a miracle in a 20+ R district without a runoff, if not, we got another election to decide who goes to congress.

mo60

Republicans shouldn't be dancing right now that Ossoff doesn't make 50%. A lot of their strong congressional districts are turning into competitive districts where the democrats do way better then expected.That should frighten them.

What was he like?

Chipper, kinda nerdy, good guy. My school was strange, he was a grade below but 7th and 8th graders were together in "home base" classrooms for a majority of the day and only had other periods for music, math and science. He was in my home base classroom. I didn't know him very well compared to some of the other guys but I had no problem with him and he seemed pretty good-hearted. Reminds me of the main geek kid from freaks and geeks.

He definitely represents the school environment we were in; well off but progressive and very liberal.

wandering

Banned
124,917 votes for Dem candidate in 2016. Once again Dems well short of that number, like Kansas 04. Republicans are handing Dems these seats but too many Dem voters continue to only show up in Presidential years.

Dude still has a shot but there's once again tens of thousands of Dems doing nothing.

Is this satire

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Where the fuck is Obama? Leading members of the party would help some.

Yeah, wasn't there a "Obama is ready to go" news on him a while ago? Did that all amount to nothing? (this is a question on all the country, not this specific race)

Sean C

This is an amazing performance. I'm impressed at how close Ossoff is coming to an outright win in the first round, which almost never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom