• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys can someone explain this 50% situation for me? If Ossof got over 50% tonight then there wouldn't have to be a second election?
Yes, it's a jungle primary. All the candidates (17-ish? like a dozen Republicans, a few Dems, and 2 Ind) are competing in the same election. If one person pulls off a majority (50% plus one vote) , they win the seat outright. Otherwise, the top two candidates - regardless of party - go on to the June runoff.

Actually, there are exactly that many Democratic voters in the district based on the 2016 general election. It is just not realistic to expect them to all turnout in a special election primary.

Republicans vastly outnumber Democrats. If Handel distances herself from Trump but advocates a traditional R platform, it's a done deal.

akileese

Guys can someone explain this 50% situation for me? If Ossof got over 50% tonight then there wouldn't have to be a second election?

You are correct. Unless a candidate, any candidate, gets 50% or more, there is a runoff between the top two candidates. In this case it would be Handel and Osoff. Party affiliation does not matter in a run a off for what it's worth.

numble

Republicans vastly outnumber Democrats. If Handel distances herself from Trump but advocates a traditional R platform, it's a done deal.

He was talking about getting 100% of Democrats that voted in November 2016 to show up. Its looking like 30,000 of those voters will not have turned out for this election, but that is normal.

giphy.gif

I wonder what the statistical likelihood of getting exactly 50% is. The results are almost guaranteed to be somewhere between 48-51, so there's probably a less-than-impossible chance of that happening. And then we can all collectively commit seppuku.

Boke1879

I wonder what the statistical likelihood of getting exactly 50% is. The results are almost guaranteed to be somewhere between 48-51, so there's probably a less-than-impossible chance of that happening. And then we can all collectively commit seppuku.

I'd jump out of a window if that happened.

Ogodei

It's absolutely encouraging AND soul-crushingly disappointing.

But doom for the Republicans in 2018 depends on your definition. I don't see them losing control of either side.

24-22 seats (depending on how this race and the Quist race go)? That's a normal-to-small swing as far as House elections go.

The problem is gerrymandering, but if the base turnout swings by even 7%, there are easily 2 dozen GOP districts that can fall, and we just saw KS-04 swing by 28%.

Senate's likely screwed. Best possible result is probably 50-50 (which itself is miraculous assuming we defend Manchin, Donnelly, and Heitkamp, and take down Heller and Flake) unless a miracle occurs and Ted Cruz goes down.

dc3k

Where the fuck is Obama? Leading members of the party would help some.
He deserves the vacation. Plus, he's making the smart decision to let Trump do his thing for a while and flounder and then he'll push back. It helps no one to start complaining right away. He's giving Trump time to fuck up.

He'll be back soon enough.

He was talking about getting 100% of Democrats that voted in November 2016 to show up. Its looking like 30,000 of those voters will not have turned out for this election, but that is normal.

Voter turnout looks to be about half across the district. Ossoff is beating the pants off what Stooksbury did in November.

Half what it normally is, I should say.

Count on that .9% to show up in the run off.

I can't help but think someone voting for a dem other than Ossoff tonight, knowing the stakes, probably has some weird reason that they refuse to vote for him. If I were another dem candidate I wouldn't have even voted for myself today.

numble

Voter turnout looks to be about half across the district. Ossoff is beating the pants off what Stooksbury did in November.

Stooksbury did 119,536 and Ossoff has a ceiling of 100,000. So the voters are there, which is what his point was. There are that many Democrats in the district, but you can't expect 100% turnout in a special election primary.

How does anyone claim the dems didnt unify behind a candidate here? They voted what 98% for the same candidate? What the hell do you expect?

mcfrank

I can't help but think someone voting for a dem other than Ossoff tonight, knowing the stakes, probably has some weird reason that they refuse to vote for him. If I were another dem candidate I wouldn't have even voted for myself today.

That logic applies to some republicans too.

Democrats hope Jon Ossoff will win them the House seat vacated by Tom Price, the new health and human services secretary. If no candidate wins a majority of the vote, the top two will advance to a June 20 runoff.

from http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia-house-special-election-district-6

Ok, thanks for explanations, guys.

Looking at the live results, Ossolf has a huge lead. Is there worry that he wouldn't be able to win a possible second round against Handel despite that?

Stooksbury did 119,536 and Ossoff has a ceiling of 100,000. So the voters are there, which is what his point was. There are that many Democrats in the district, but you can't expect 100% turnout in a special election primary.

It doesn't matter if Republicans are anywhere close to being motivated. Which they will be in the runoff. That's why I said what I did.

The amount of flyers we got were insane, and that was with infighting. There won't be any infighting come June.

Ok, thanks for explanations, guys.

Looking at the live results, Ossolf has a huge lead. Is there worry that he wouldn't be able to win a possible second round against Handel despite that?

He's running against like 6 Republicans who are splitting the vote. If he can't clear 50% and they all unite behind 1 person in June his chances aren't great.

numble

It doesn't matter if Republicans are anywhere close to being motivated. Which they will be in the runoff. That's why I said what I did.

The amount of flyers we got were insane, and that was with infighting. There won't be any infighting come June.

His point was focusing on this primary though, not the runoff.

Yes that kinda is my point. I dont expect the same numbers as 2016 but when 30,000 dont show up when all you need is 1-2,000 more votes...it's pretty shitty. Early voting, VBM, there's really no excuse not to vote.

What KHarvey finds this as "bullshit" is beyond me. Thanks to all the Dems that came out to vote for Ossoff in GA 06 and Thompson in KS 04. Those that didnt let the party down.

Throwing more money at candidates isnt really going to help reach these idiots who refuse to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom