• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for Trump to trash this somehow.

If Ossoff doesn't get 50%+ I see a tweet along the lines of "Big win for Republicans thanks to the amazing people in Georgia". If Ossoff pulls it off "Georgia embarrassing itself sending bad people to Washington".

If Ossoff doesn't get 50%+ I see a tweet along the lines of "Big win for Republicans thanks to the amazing people in Georgia". If Ossoff pulls it off "Georgia embarrassing itself sending bad people to Washington".

The election is over. I won bigly. Hillary ran a terrible campaign. Sad.

Yes that kinda is my point. I dont expect the same numbers as 2016 but when 30,000 dont show up when all you need is 1-2,000 more votes...it's pretty shitty. Early voting, VBM, there's really no excuse not to vote.

What KHarvey finds this as "bullshit" is beyond me. Thanks to all the Dems that came out to vote for Ossoff in GA 06 and Thompson in KS 04. Those that didnt let the party down.

Throwing more money at candidates isnt really going to help reach these idiots who refuse to vote.

If more people showed up to vote, it'd only be liberals?

platocplx

Yeah. Georgia law is that a runoff is triggered between the two highest vote getters if no one reaches 50%.

We should have this as a law nationwide. Especially for presidential elections this should be a factor in elections with the EC THEN meaning something.

jerry113

Banned
Ok, thanks for explanations, guys.

Looking at the live results, Ossolf has a huge lead. Is there worry that he wouldn't be able to win a possible second round against Handel despite that?

Republican votes are currently split between 6 different candidates. With only one Republican candidate to vote for in the runoffs (Handel vs. Ossoff), those voters could all unit behind Handel.

Osoff would have to work his ass off to get those Democrats out of their houses and into the voting booths come June, and win over some Republican voters in the next few months.

Brakke

Banned
We should have this as a law nationwide. Especially for presidential elections this should be a factor in elections with the EC THEN meaning something.

Lots of districts do this or similar for representatives and senators.

People who vote in every election they can know this...

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's just too hard to overcome gerrymandering, voter suppression, and straight fear-mongering.

Vectorman

Banned
Lol Trump is tweeting a conservative radio guy claiming that the GOP won because it's going to a run-off even though it's not set in stone. Guy doesn't wait.

Slater

Banned
It's just too hard to overcome gerrymandering, voter suppression, and straight fear-mongering.
Sigh, at best only one of those things had any effect on this vote

Again please people get context on this shit before you try to either start blaming dems or being out of logic optimists

Please, pretty fucking please

Can we seriously just stop with this?

Seriously, this attitude flat-out NEEDs to stop.

Your nation is on fire and all you people are doing is sitting around being sad about the fire instead of stop drop rolling as it continues to burn.

On the other hand, Handel would need to coalesce all of the Republican votes. Ossoff needs just a little push.

Posts like this really show what the Democrats are up against with the millennial voter. You think votes not received in a primary/open election have to be earned. Republicans show up and vote for whoever has an R beside their name.

Ac30

Lol Trump is tweeting a conservative radio guy claiming that the GOP won because it's going to a run-off even though it's not set in stone. Guy doesn't wait.
I can't see it :(

For dumb entertainment while we wait, proof Trump doesn't read past headlines:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/854102644394254341

See you tomorrow Wisconsin!

'Trump spurs small-business optimism in Milwaukee area'

Where he then cites an article, with the below gem

And Trump, with his populist rhetoric, rapid-fire tweeting and occasional statements that are demonstrably false

Again? Someone else explain this time.

Feel free to explain yourself!

~48% of voters in a special election primary in this district voted for Ossoff (a Democrat!). This was after last November when Donald Trump (a Republican) only won by 1.5%. It's certainly a rich white district, but they're voting for Democrats!

This isn't a situation of Ossoff getting a plurality of like 40% and Republicans getting well over 50% (see: Mary Landrieu 2014). It's very much even with both sides getting close to 50% and Handel isn't a particularly great candidate. There's no guarantee that non-Handel voters will show up on general election day. It's no guarantee Ossoff voters will show up, but much more likely they will be voting for the same person in June!

~48% of voters in a special election primary in this district voted for Ossoff (a Democrat!). This was after last November when Donald Trump (a Republican) only won by 1.5%. It's certainly a rich white district, but they're voting for Democrats!

This isn't a situation of Ossoff getting a plurality of like 40% and Republicans getting well over 50%. It's very much even with both sides getting close to 50% and Handel isn't a particularly great candidate. There's no guarantee that non-Handel voters will show up on general election day. It's no guarantee Ossoff voters will show up, but much more likely they will be voting for the same person in June!

I have. Several times in this thread. Feel free to do some reading.

I've lived here for 20 of the past 25 years. I worked on polling for Republican campaigns. But I don't know what I'm talking about. Neither do the others who live here who have posted similar thoughts.

CazTGG

"Canada is the reason we lost Georgia! Vote American, Buy American!"

This CNN panel is fucking trash.

Take out two words from the above sentence to create another true statement.

This CNN panel is.

I have. Several times in this thread. Feel free to do some reading.

I've lived here for 20 of the past 25 years. I worked on polling for Republican campaigns. But I don't know what I'm talking about. Neither do the others who live here who have posted similar thoughts.

Your explanation has consistently been "there are more Republicans than Democrats in GA-6," which is about the most surface level analysis I have ever seen

This isn't a situation of Ossoff getting a plurality of like 40% and Republicans getting well over 50% (see: Mary Landrieu 2014). It's very much even with both sides getting close to 50% and Handel isn't a particularly great candidate. There's no guarantee that non-Handel voters will show up on general election day. It's no guarantee Ossoff voters will show up, but much more likely they will be voting for the same person in June!

Take it from the people who live here. That district is HEAVILY Republican. Republicans in Georgia don't have much to vote for in a general presidential election so you havent seen the true voter representation there yet (percentage wise).

Slater

Banned
Hahahaha.

I just imagine you literally pulling out clumps of hair.
I would be if I hadn't just got a hair cut, lol but it's days like this that just remind you how jack shit most people on here actually know about this stuff, hot takes for days with no real basis in either direction thinking there smarter then they are. It's why I usaually stay away from this side of gaf

Take it from the people who live here. That district is HEAVILY Republican. Republicans in Georgia don't have much to vote for in a general presidential election so you havent seen the true voter representation there yet. They will show up in full force come June for whoever has an R beside their name in order to keep that district red.

Yes, I'm sure we will see higher voter turnout in a special election in June than in a presidential election

lol

ReAxion

i've been getting around to saying this and i'll say it again i'm sure: the fact that literally everyone has a pitch perfect trump impression says everything about how stupid and simplistic everything he thinks is.

not everyone is genuinely funny but literally everyone can generate a pitch perfect trump screed.

I would be if I hadn't just got a hair cut, lol but it's days like this that just remind you how jack shit most people on here actually know about this stuff, hot takes for days with no real basis in either direction thinking there smarter then they are. It's why I usaually stay away from this side of gaf

I distinctly remember being told I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about in the Pol thread a few days before the election. Talking about a silent Trump vote coming out.

But that's none of my business.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
As a Georgia gaffer I donated to his campaign, but I live in GA-13 so I can't vote for him. This is gonna come to the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom