• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

I agree with you, but the take away from this is that Democrats in 2018 could potentially do better than what is typical of the "out-of-power" power in midterms. Usually we see the "out-of-power" party do better in districts in which each party is within a few points of each other, not a stronghold district like GA-06.

But I agree, we need to see actual results, not just talk of how good things like for the future.

Yeah, it's 7:15 here in Georgia.

Given the national shift happening that we already know from 2016 results (similar to what we saw with Labour winning affluent areas in the UK that they hadn't ever won), I don't think GA-6 is the conservative stronghold it used to be. The GOP is rapidly bleeding affluent voters, and there are county upon county results from 2016 to tell us that already. We don't need yet another affirmation that affluent suburbs are trending away from the GOP, we need house seats.

aeolustl

Can someone explain it why this House race is so expensive to me? Especially since this seat will have another election next year...?

Can someone explain it why this House race is so expensive to me? Especially since this seat will have another election next year...?

Because it's a seat that could flip in a district that has been safe for decades. One side wanting to take, the other desperately wanting to keep it at all costs.

Because of how close this district was in 2016 compared to 2012 (a 20+ margin swing), it has been hoisted up as a microcosm of a larger trend happening around the country in which the GOP has been gaining traditionally blue dilapidated manufacturing areas while the Dems are gaining traditionally red affluent suburbs (like this district). The attention is to see to what extent dems are winning these areas, and more broadly how much of a surge in support they're gaining nationally in response to the mess Trump is making.

KHarvey16

People referring to these districts tightening as merely "moral victories" very obviously don't understand why being close here or in past special elections is actually significant.

Being close here is a very good thing, win or lose.

zelas

Count me in the "tired of moral victories" camp. It goes without saying that the party out of power tends to perform well in midterms so I really don't care about the signs that what will obviously happen is, indeed, happening. I want the actual seats. We don't need a close race here to tell us there will be a swing toward dems in 2018. No shit. A republican is in the oval office, so dems have more energy in midterms, and vice versa when a dem holds the presidency. I don't need to narrowly lose a race in Georgia to know that, so what the hell is to be gained from the "moral victory" beyond affirmation of the profoundly obvious?

Pretty much. Win or lose, the main thing I'll be concerned about are the Democrat numbers. Will there be a significant amount of turnout and what will the democratic makeup look like? I'm getting tired of being told the Democratic party needs to cater to the type of voter who only shows up during presidential years, cant get their registration together for primaries, and spends more time taking/sharing protest pics than actually voting. Aint no Hillary excuse to hide behind this time, people better fucking show up.

giga

B6nb1o1.png

We forced the GOP to spend millions and political capital on GA-6.

We already won. They don't have infinite amounts of money and political capital.

The DNC doesn't have infinite amounts of those, either. Not to be too down; it's clearly better to be on offense than defense now. But it's not like the GOP spent millions and the DNC didn't.

mcfrank

I donated because, in addition to my new ACLU and SPLC monthly donations, it gave me a sense of being able to do something.

The DNC doesn't have infinite amounts of those, either. Not to be too down; it's clearly better to be on offense than defense now. But it's not like the GOP spent millions and the DNC didn't.

The DNC didn't spend anything on this race. The DCCC did, but it was marginal in comparison. The vast majority of Ossoff's donations came from regular folks and matched donations to high donators.

Quazar

Moved to certain part of Kennesaw this past November so glad I got to vote today with my girlfriend. Honestly, I dislike that certain people in this thread are trying to not be hype about this election and keep 'realistic expectations'. All this does is demoralize those sitting on the fence. A forum comprised mostly of the age groups that could show up more does no good to give them a reason not to show up to polls.

Moved to certain part of Kennesaw this past November so glad I got to vote today with my girlfriend. Honestly, I dislike that certain people in this thread are trying to not be hype about this election and keep 'realistic expectations'. All this does is demoralize those sitting on the fence. A forum comprised mostly of the age groups that could show up more does no good to give them a reason not to show up to polls.

Reality is hard sometimes.

I get where you are coming from. But it is better to be realistic.

kirblar

Being overconfident is very, very bad.

Quazar

Reality is hard sometimes.

The reality is, younger voters, just like the last big election look for reasons not to go vote because of other things. You're projecting a faux reality so that way you can say I'm not surprised by the results. Why do we care if we can be labeled as Nostradamus ? You're not.

Also, keep in mind, if she wins, she has to turn around and defend this seat next year.
this would be easier because of incumbency and I doubt any Democrat in 2018 could pull off Ossoff's fundraising numbers

which isn't to say her holding it is guaranteed but there's a better chance to win it now than next year

RPGCrazied

I just want a huge upset. In a Republican stronghold. I hate Trump, and this would send a message we are coming.

When is the next one, what state?

The reality is, younger voters, just like the last big election look for reasons not to go vote because of other things. You're projecting a faux reality so that way you can say I'm not surprised by the results. Why do we care if we can be labeled as Nostradamus ? You're not.

If you 'young people' are just looking for reasons not to vote, I don't know what to tell you. That's stupid. And the reality is not 'faux.' It could go either way, but this is a deep red district and the odds of Ossoff actually winning is by no means certain, and it's better to temper yourself than jump up and down like a cheerleader only to fall on your ass when the very real possibility of a loss hits you.

And you're also wrong. I am Nostradamus.

Okay, I'm not. But I've been told I can read the wind in a spiritual manner by any friends and colleagues.

The truth is that your individual vote makes no difference and the only reason to do it is to feel good about yourself.

Maybe that's because too many people make the mistake of thinking that it's all about your one vote, when if you want to actually influence elections you need to actually do MORE than just your one vote, such as:

- Convincing friends and family to vote the way you are going to vote
- Go work or volunteer for a political campaign

The truth is that your individual vote makes no difference and the only reason to do it is to feel good about yourself.

Politics is a tug of war. Keep your hands on the rope, lest you'd rather it around your neck.

I hope people who feel this way enjoy their view from the sidelines as their friends and family get dragged face-first through the muck.

mo60

In other news Parnell right now is leading in SC-5. I expect him to lose by double digits once all votes are counted.

I just want a huge upset. In a Republican stronghold. I hate Trump, and this would send a message we are coming.

When is the next one, what state?

Trump won this by 1 Point and Handle was not elected she was appointed. Price did win this by 20 points but I think Handle is so weak which is why there is a chance.

Absolutely true as a simple matter of logic and statistics and don't let any partisan cheerleader tell you differently. No federal election has ever been decided by one vote.

Well it's seems you missed what I said so I'll have to repeat myself:

Maybe that's because too many people make the mistake of thinking that it's all about your one vote, when if you want to actually influence elections you need to actually do MORE than just your one vote, such as:

- Convincing friends and family to vote the way you are going to vote
- Go work or volunteer for a political campaign

Given the national shift happening that we already know from 2016 results (similar to what we saw with Labour winning affluent areas in the UK that they hadn't ever won), I don't think GA-6 is the conservative stronghold it used to be. The GOP is rapidly bleeding affluent voters, and there are county upon county results from 2016 to tell us that already. We don't need yet another affirmation that affluent suburbs are trending away from the GOP, we need house seats.

No, this is still a solid conservative district. We just don't like Trump.

And Handel has pulled away. 3% lead. Early votes, too. It's over.

Your shit is old.

Top Bottom