• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Nibel

Gotta admit: top-tier banter by both candidates
KuGsj.gif

Realyn

More money for everyone, hardline against all the bad leaders of the world, sudden 180's when it comes to Turkey or Maut, acting as if Merkel=whole party ...

He's fucked. People like to buy into some bullshit. This was sadly too much bullshit to buy into.

Ladekabel

Everyone was talking. I didn't understand if Schulz said the Linke is a viable coalition partner for the SPD or not. Anyone got it?

dakun

Everyone was talking. I didn't understand if Schulz said the Linke is a viable coalition partner for the SPD or not. Anyone got it?

i understood something about wanting SPD to be strong and if anyone wants to talk coalition they can come to them..

Oynox

He did not answer to it directly. He only stated that he wants to make the SPD as strong as possible.

Xando

Nothing on education or infrastructure but 1 hour on migration

Fucking media

Rather the opposite. A coalition with the Linke means to have a somehow a realistic chance for kicking out Merkel.

He's not gonna get a majority with red red green. Center votes won't vote for you if you do a coalition with linke or afd

chadskin

Mehrere Hundert Menschen haben sich während des TV-Duells in geheimen Chaträumen organisiert, um die Diskussion über Angela Merkel und Martin Schulz auf Twitter zu beeinflussen. BuzzFeed News hat Zugang zu den Chaträumen, in denen sich die rechten Aktivisten organisieren. Deren Ziel ist es, mit fremdenfeindlichen Fotos und Memes Stimmung gegen CDU und SPD zu machen und der AfD zu einem Aufwind in den sozialen Netzwerken zu verhelfen.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/karstensch...il1?utm_term=.qnv6NbjX7&bftwdenews#.tm0RlpOXx

He's not gonna get a majority with red red green. Center votes won't vote for you if you do a coalition with linke or afd

Center voters wouldn't vote SPD anyway.

Not killing off a coalition with the Linke means an alternative to another 4 years of CDU/SPD.

kingkaiser

Certain "Conservatives" being triggered just by the thought of a progressive left coalition is embarrassing, all the more when considering the LINKE is just the SPD from the 70s.

Not surprising considering most Centrist voters seem to think a Linke coalition would be the doom of us all.

It's still their only chance with this weak of an SPD and Greens.

Maedre

Banned
Center voters wouldn't vote SPD anyway.

Not killing off a coalition with the Linke means an alternative to another 4 years of CDU/SPD.
We need a term without a Groko. The SPD needs time in the opposition. I don’t think that the SPD has a realistic chance but we need a big opposition and no Groko.

Shiggy

So now we are getting the Musterklage over night, and something will happen with the Turkey relations. The TV duel had something productive there.

ISee

I missed a no to another cdu-spd coalition from Schulz. I'm not voting SPD to support Merkel.

Xando

So now we are getting the Musterklage over night, and something will happen with the Turkey relations. The TV duel had something productive there.

We also know pension age will be raised to 70 since Merkel denied it.

So what is the difference to the actual situation now? Accepting the fate of being the junior partner of the CDU?

How about putting forward a credible challenge to Merkel?

Schulz agreed with Merkel on more topics than he disagreed tonight

PnCIa

Closing statement by Schulzi was far better. Merkel will probably still win because she rides the Deutschland über alles train though as is apparent by her closing statement. Also still a lot of neulands out there.

I missed a no to another cdu-spd coalition from Schulz. I'm not voting SPD to support Merkel.

He cannot do that, there's a good chance that S-G alone has no majority and a Jamaica coalition has some major hurdles to take.

Great coalition maybe the only option remaining at some point.

kingkaiser

The power vacuum Merkel will leave after her in a few years is going to be devastating for the Union, especially since all her potential successors are either extremely right from center compared to her or incompetent or both.

El-Suave

What is he supposed to say? The country needs to be governed if that's where the votes will land, and it's the most likely outcome. A no to another GroKo would be absurd.
Edit: Delusional Gottschalk is the highlight of the evening - he made high art with Wetten Dass and people didn't care instead Germans like Bares für Rares which is why the country sucks.

Xando

What is a credible challenge if any move to the left only ends in doom?

A move to the left isn't necessary dooming the SPD. Getting into a coalition with die linke will since their position on stuff like trade, foreign policy, defense and more isn't capable with a large share of voters.

The power vacuum Merkel will leave after her in a few years is going to be devastating for the Union, especially since all her potential successors are either extremely right from center compared to her or incompetent or both.

This is true. CDU is gonna get destroyed when Merkel retires.

PnCIa

Yes. Lets hope the SPD has a good candidate then.

Top Bottom