• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Turn out badly, they are still pretty much brain dead.

And it's the same story again, yes you can play naked and not having any charm or armour with better stealth stats, but then, what is the point of having such armours and charms where you have to forget them to have a little bit more challenge.

I find a charm that turn bellrings into poison bomb, so basically 8 gifted kill in a camp, add to that 4 venom darts and 4 crazy darts, you can literally free most of the camps with this stuff, why they even exist?? It's not like the stealth become challenging without them, they are just ridicously powerfull...

The problem with the stealth other than enemIes being bretty blind and deaf is that the alarm state is broken, it last nothing and after a couple of seconds enemoes return to their original positions with dozenz of other mongols cadavers on the ground, it make the ia looks even more idiotic.
That charm is insanely strong. I think they need to tune/rein in ghost items on higher difficulty

BRZBlue

I just dismissed the whole thing when I saw 'bland visuals'....

I really think the game deserves high 80's, it's a better game than Horizon in my opinion.

I think it's really resonated with people and if Sony wanted, it could be their Zelda....

Honestly, I'd be all for GoT becoming some sort of tentpole franchise for Sony. Its definitely not as family friendly. But its funny that the two big games used as inspiration according to the devs were Red Dead 2 and Breath of the Wild.

John Day

Turn out badly, they are still pretty much brain dead.

And it's the same story again, yes you can play naked and not having any charm or armour with better stealth stats, but then, what is the point of having such armours and charms where you have to forget them to have a little bit more challenge.

I find a charm that turn bellrings into poison bomb, so basically 8 gifted kill in a camp, add to that 4 venom darts and 4 crazy darts, you can literally free most of the camps with this stuff, why they even exist?? It's not like the stealth become challenging without them, they are just ridicously powerfull...

The problem with the stealth other than enemIes being bretty blind and deaf is that the alarm state is broken, it last nothing and after a couple of seconds enemoes return to their original positions with dozenz of other mongols cadavers on the ground, it make the ia looks even more idiotic.

I feel like, at some point in development, they dumbed down the stealth to a point. As if they were weary of the game not being as “accesible” or that it was too hard?

PanzerAzel

Lethal is still too easy, I can take 2-3 hits with armor fully upgraded.

I want a realistic mode. Remove the health bar, remove all health buffs to armor, disable health charms, begin with the katana fully upgraded, and make all hits throughout the entire game one hit kills. Make the engagements extremely brief and uncompromising, that is lethal. I want this shit Bushido Blade'd.

John Day

I want a realistic mode. Remove the health bar, remove all health buffs to armor, disable health charms, begin with the katana fully upgraded, and make all hits throughout the entire game one hit kills. Make the engagements extremely brief and uncompromising, that is lethal. I want this shit Bushido Blade'd.

i’d play that but with a better camera 🤣. Now that you mention this, maybe the camera is the reason why combat is very forginvingeven in the hrdest modes?

Bryank75

Banned

I need a multiplayer duel mode in BB style.

Nankatsu

Am I missing something or do quests appear randomly without any warning on camps?

I've went to a few camps and noticed there was some npc's with quests, but if I didn't went there I wouldn't know at all that I had new quests to do.

Last edited:

Keihart

Maybe i'm imagining things, but somehow it feels easier in lethal...like i take more damage but i was already playing without damage reduction, enemies seems to take more damage too so now it feels pretty "lethal" for them.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Am I missing something or do quests appear randomly without any warning on camps?

I've went to a few camps and noticed there was some npc's with quests, but if I didn't went there I wouldn't know at all that I had new quests to do.
Yes you have to visit camps randomly if you want to be alerted to certain things.

However pretty much all of that same stuff you could happen upon w/o ever getting the message from a person in a camp.

Ar¢tos

Got disappointed...
I'm in the 2nd part, in the forest after the swamps, it's gorgeous at night with the fireflies!
But then I went down to the river and noticed the sky was clear and full of stars, when I looked up to appreciate it... It is static. White dots on a dark background. No glow of different intensities, all stars of the same size, no occasional shooting star. *sadface*

spartan30gr

65048c60-d105-11ea-9fe9-029c91a3edee.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
I feel like, at some point in development, they dumbed down the stealth to a point. As if they were weary of the game not being as “accesible” or that it was too hard?
Ooof they went from hard to brain dead, a middle place was ideal.

Also who said that stealth can't be hard?? I mean that's why we have different difficulty mode...it doesn't make sense to me creating an hard mode that it's still a joke, who the hell beneficiate from that?? Average players have their easy and normal mode, why don't include a real hard mode?

I just beated the final boss, it was underwhelming, i literally destroyed him...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wish there was a way to check the current playtime.

I read somewhere that the game could be beaten in around 30 hours? No way man, been playing for a week and I'm just starting act II.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Grrrrrr. :messenger_pouting:

I would easily sacrifice the speed of fast travel for better loading times in the gear menu. I don't know if something's up with my system, but it takes, literally, each item like 4-5+ seconds to appear. This may not seem like much, but when you're scrolling through such menial shit as a simple headband or hat of which there are tons, you can spend near a minute or more going through them all for what should take a matter of seconds. I have no idea how this game can manage to load an entire map in such short time (for which they apparently had to intentionally slow it down) yet they cannot get one tiny piece gear to load instantaneously.

The time adds up and is becoming a pain.

Last edited:

Da-Kid

Grrrrrr. :messenger_pouting:

I would easily sacrifice the speed of fast travel for better loading times in the gear menu. I don't know if something's up with my system, but it takes, literally, each item like 4-5+ seconds to appear. This may not seem like much, but when you're scrolling through such menial shit as a simple headband or hat of which there are tons, you can spend near a minute or more going through them all for what should take a matter of seconds. I have no idea how this game can manage to load an entire map in such short time (for which they apparently had to intentionally slow it down) yet they cannot get one tiny piece gear to load instantaneously.

The time adds up and is becoming a pain.
That's not just you. I noticed this too with all menus including shops.

BouncyFrag

Just finished the first area. Game is beautiful with wonderful characters and I’m not completely rubbish at parrying.

Anyone else have that awkward moment when you don’t hit up on the d-pad to trigger the standoff soon enough so that you have to run back and go at it again? So awkward.

Last edited:
That last mission of Act II

That shit was so retarded. It was so obvious what was about to happen. Really cheap drama.
And how the fuck can someone sneak up on the godamn ghost of tsushima?

Edit: Ok, it wasn't the last mission. There's one more i guess.

Last edited:
Just finished act 2. I can confirm that this is my favourite game of the PS4 generation. Just fucking epic man. I cried...I fucking cried playing this.
That's cause you're a bitch.

LOL Joking. Yeah i heard the ending was pretty epic and a tear jerker. I am so far from Act 2 but i ain't rushing

SinDelta

Ending of Act 2

You can see what is going to happen. While his Uncle can throw a fit and think wasting the lives of his men is acceptable because of honor, Jin's way of fighting gets results. That does not make it any less worse when it does.

Then the beginning of Act 3

Act 3 - Aka what happens when the Mongols drop any pretense of being "conquerors" and just slaughter, burn and poison entire regions in ways that would make Khorne himself smile from his throne of skulls.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Lethal is too lethal for me, haha. I love huge melees and getting surrounding ensure at least 1 hit gets in, 2 means death and then you have to start the whole encounter over. Hard mode is more fun but it's still cool they added lethal for those with the patience.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Maybe i'm imagining things, but somehow it feels easier in lethal...like i take more damage but i was already playing without damage reduction, enemies seems to take more damage too so now it feels pretty "lethal" for them.

I actually agree man, I put it back on hard... I think that was more challenging. On lethal I can still heal over the top over enemy damage but the mongols just get flat dropped. Fights are over super quick but I'm never really in danger because you have so much resolve.

I think hards a little tougher cause you have to leave yourself exposed a little longer to kill and the fights last a little longer.

Lethal mode would be dope if they tweaked resolve and healing somehow a little bit, its a little OP maybe

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Some story thoughts:

Jin's one sorry-ass excuse for a Samurai.

Team #Shimura, his uncle has a point. Jin's been raised with honor, the game makes it explicitly clear this code's been hammered into his skull at every conversation and in every waking moment from his youngest years, yet he so cavalierly tosses it aside when it first inconveniences him. Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole point of training and revolving your entire life around a set of principles? And what's worse, he suggest that he'll "go back" to living his code once this invasion is over. It's like this kid doesn't realize that this warrior caste of whom he is a part of willingly disembowels themselves over this shit on the regular. I like Jin, but I can't say he's a man of principle. I haven't finished this yet (probably tomorrow) so hopefully the ending will address this satisfactorily. I'm very glad the game's narrative takes such effort to make this a main point of contention or there'd be some serious ludo-narrative dissonance going on.

On a side note, I'm quite enjoying the writing of this. It's keeping me engaged and I genuinely care for the characters and am not seeing the review criticisms at all. It's nothing Oscar worthy, but it certainly is better than TLoU II in which I not only didn't care for any of the characters, I actively wanted them to die I disliked them so much.

Last edited:
Some story thoughts:

Jin's one sorry-ass excuse for a Samurai.

Team #Shimura, his uncle has a point. Jin's been raised with honor, the game makes it explicitly clear this code's been hammered into his skull at every conversation and in every waking moment from his youngest years, yet he so cavalierly tosses it aside when it first inconveniences him. Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole point of training and revolving your entire life around a set of principles? And what's worse, he suggest that he'll "go back" to living his code once this invasion is over. It's like this kid doesn't realize that this warrior caste of whom he is a part of willingly disembowels themselves over this shit on the regular. I like Jin, but I can't say he's a man of principle. I haven't finished this yet (probably tomorrow) so hopefully the ending will address this satisfactorily. I'm very glad the game's narrative takes such effort to make this a main point of contention or there'd be some serious ludo-narrative dissonance going on.

On a side note, I'm quite enjoying the writing of this. It's keeping me engaged and I genuinely care for the characters and am not seeing the review criticisms at all. It's nothing Oscar worthy, but it certainly is better than TLoU II in which I not only didn't care for any of the characters, I actively wanted them to die I disliked them so much.

#teamghost
Fuck the mongols. Get rid of them no matter how.

Listen to this samurai expert
"There's no dishonorable way, just kill them "

Geki-D

Banned
Toshihiro Nagoshi (Yakuza games General Director, whole bunch of other Sega games) is blown away by the game saying that Japan needs to make games like this and it's sad they can't. ...He also apparently think the main character is ugly lol:

Though he explains it a bit better and Masahiro Ito cleared up what he meant:

So what they're saying is that a Japanese company would have probably gone with some baby faced J-pop idol looking kid rather than a rugged older person. And they both prefer this.

GlockSaint

Okay so stealth is such a joke to the point of it being boring tbh. I just chain assassinated 3 guys while buddy over there 50 feet away was having his daily stroll. Most of the time the enemies have their backs to you. Even when they sound the alarms, they go back to normal in like 30 seconds.
Long bow is 8 easy kills from far away
Explosive arrows atleast 4 groups
Poison dart 4 kills and terrify
Smoke bomb 2-3 triple chain assassinations (if you stumble and get caught)
Thing is you can kill 2/3 the camp without much change, these dumb mongols just walk about. Only thing hard mode does is make them see you from farther away lol.

Stealth kill the mongol leader and you kid the ridiculous ghost stance which can end the rest of the camp in seconds. I mean i even beat one of these "overwhelming force" camps without much trouble.

I guess the reason being is because of the amount of mongol outposts, there are way way too many tbh, which also affected their design, some were big and well made and some i could swear were copy pasted. So I guess stealth being so op was a design choice so players can clear these camps quickly? I still love the game but the "ghost" aspect is no way near the level of polish and beauty of the combat.

Toshihiro Nagoshi (Yakuza games General Director, whole bunch of other Sega games) is blown away by the game saying that Japan needs to make games like this and it's sad they can't. ...He also apparently think the main character is ugly lol:

Though he explains it a bit better and Masahiro Ito cleared up what he meant:

So what they're saying is that a Japanese company would have probably gone with some baby faced J-pop idol looking kid rather than a rugged older person. And they both prefer this.

It's the Nier Replicant/Gestalt situation all over again but from a different perspective.

SkylineRKR

Everything in this game is very powerful. You can chain assassinate, chain stand off, throw bombs, use explosive arrows, slow mo headshot.. You can throw a smoke bomb and then triple assassinate dudes during a skirmish. And the special is a free triple kill. Basically, with the right charms you always have resolve on hand since you kill.

The best way for me, is to stand off and then fight the rest. Its quicker, and you at least risk losing (can't tank a whole lot on hard). You can use stealth which takes longer and isn't challenging, its whats most fun to you. I don't mind the game not being frustrating. Though some one on one duels aren't a push over.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wish there was a way to check the current playtime.

I read somewhere that the game could be beaten in around 30 hours? No way man, been playing for a week and I'm just starting act II.
The game can be finished in 10 hours tbh, only the main campaign is very short, like 3-4 missions for area, so less than 15 main mission and some missions are pretty short.

I think people who make speedrun is gonna finish this game in a couple of hours.

Infamous 3 was the same but the sidecontent in that game were much much less.

Last edited:
Finished the main story last night and it currently sits as my game of the year and probably top 5 of the generation. I did have a funny glitch where my horse got possessed and developed a mind of its own, galloping all over the show and wouldn't let me get off. A quick reload sorted that though. Gonna start work on the platinum tonight starting with liberating the camps in the third area then onto the shrines, fox dens etc. I'm around 60 percent of the way already just through natural gameplay.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The game can be finished in 10 hours tbh, only the main campaign is very short, like 3-4 missions for area, so less than 15 main mission and some missions are pretty short.

I think people who make speedrun is gonna finish this game in a couple of hours.

Infamous 3 was the same but the sidecontent in that game were much much less.
Yeah, now that I think of it there aren't many main missions... but hell, side content is so good that I didn't noticed till now. :pie_grinning_sweat:

Keihart

Main missions and sidequest don't even have that much difference in how they are built besides cinematics. There are special locations for both which is pretty cool.
I have found a couple of side quests without a marker or a tip from a NPC, usually by finding either a note or a dead body or some random npc. I'm under the impression that they thought about doing this way more.

Bryank75

Banned
The draw distance is fantastic and I love that.... it really annoys me when there is a fog out far so you can't really see into the distance.

We need a spoiler thread to discuss the ending and where they could go...

Top Bottom