• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

Man that trailer looked incredible, hey GAF wh-
Well, we lasted a whole 4 posts before you lot couldn't bear to play as a woman
bye-im-out.gif

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm a bit disappointed it's not a direct sequel with Jin and Yuna going after the Shogun, but I'm still excited for this.
It's quite exciting that they will always have the option to make GoT2. I think it's smart to break the franchise out a bit and explore new eras and locations.

Kangx

Female lead, knew it, ill pass. I just don't enjoy playing games with female characters, it's just how I am, but for those of you who do, enjoy the game.
And this is with most people.
https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/24/ghost-of-yotei-is-coming-in-2025/

Today we are so happy to announce Ghost of Yōtei, the latest game from Sucker Punch and the introduction of our new hero, Atsu.

When we set out to make a new Ghost game, we wanted to maintain the core pillars established in Ghost of Tsushima: playing as a wandering warrior in Feudal Japan, offering freedom to explore at your own pace, and highlighting the beauty of the world.

We also wanted to continue to innovate. To create something fresh but familiar, we looked beyond Jin Sakai’s story and the island of Tsushima, and shifted our focus to the idea of the Ghost instead. At Sucker Punch we love origin stories, and we wanted to explore what it could mean to have a new hero wearing a Ghost mask, and uncovering a new legend. This led us to Ghost of Yōtei: a new protagonist, a new story to unfold, and a new region of Japan to explore.

While we aren’t diving into story specifics yet today, we can reveal that Atsu’s journey takes place in 1603, more than 300 years after the events of Ghost of Tsushima. Our story is set in the lands surrounding Mount Yōtei, a towering peak in the heart of Ezo, an area of Japan known as Hokkaido in present day. In 1603, this area was outside the rule of Japan, and filled with sprawling grasslands, snowy tundras, and unexpected dangers. It’s a far cry from the organized samurai clans who lived in Tsushima, and it’s the setting for an original story we can’t wait to tell.

This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real. We have massive sightlines that let you look far across the environment, whole new skies featuring twinkling stars and auroras, even more believable movement from wind on grass and vegetation, and more improvements we’ll share in the future. Our new setting also gives us the opportunity to introduce new mechanics, gameplay improvements, and even new weapons.

Our trailer today offers a glimpse into this world, but there’s so much more to show, and we’ll have much more to share in the months ahead, including details about Atsu’s journey and the people (and animals) she’ll meet along the way. We are forever grateful for the success of Ghost of Tsushima, and we can’t wait for you all to experience Ghost of Yōtei in 2025.
I understand they need to create something fresh from a new character, but I still think it is really a bad decision.

People wanted to play as Jin in feudal Japan. People are attached to his story and at least want to see a sequel. Don't fix something that not broken. This gona alienate many old players.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
No surprise there. A female or black protagonist is insta woke these days to some people, we've really gone full circle.
It's not a sentiment I personally share, but it is conspicuous just how many of Sony's key IP/studios are rattling out games with female protagonists. Even Spider-Man has cut out a whole different genre of game within it for MJ, and it's practically guaranteed that we're getting a FemSpider next game.

While the internet is shit with nuance, it's also the fault of the studios and access media that openly pushes and celebrates this stuff in scorn of "previous norms" (and I put them in quotes because those assumptions are not correct) that got gaming to where it is in the first place. Gaslighting about it and celebrating at the same time too.

We now know that the playerbase is ~90% male. Not that that should sway or dictate every decision, but they are being dictated the other way around.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't understand, we have much more powerful consoles than previous gen and yet games still look the same with only marginal improvement, seems developers are not bothering bringing fidelity and keep re-using the same assets
The extra horsepower the PS5 offers is getting used by resolution and fps boosts and bit of RT sprinkled on it.

Bartski

Gold Member
https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/24/ghost-of-yotei-is-coming-in-2025/

Today we are so happy to announce Ghost of Yōtei, the latest game from Sucker Punch and the introduction of our new hero, Atsu.

When we set out to make a new Ghost game, we wanted to maintain the core pillars established in Ghost of Tsushima: playing as a wandering warrior in Feudal Japan, offering freedom to explore at your own pace, and highlighting the beauty of the world.

We also wanted to continue to innovate. To create something fresh but familiar, we looked beyond Jin Sakai’s story and the island of Tsushima, and shifted our focus to the idea of the Ghost instead. At Sucker Punch we love origin stories, and we wanted to explore what it could mean to have a new hero wearing a Ghost mask, and uncovering a new legend. This led us to Ghost of Yōtei: a new protagonist, a new story to unfold, and a new region of Japan to explore.

While we aren’t diving into story specifics yet today, we can reveal that Atsu’s journey takes place in 1603, more than 300 years after the events of Ghost of Tsushima. Our story is set in the lands surrounding Mount Yōtei, a towering peak in the heart of Ezo, an area of Japan known as Hokkaido in present day. In 1603, this area was outside the rule of Japan, and filled with sprawling grasslands, snowy tundras, and unexpected dangers. It’s a far cry from the organized samurai clans who lived in Tsushima, and it’s the setting for an original story we can’t wait to tell.

This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real. We have massive sightlines that let you look far across the environment, whole new skies featuring twinkling stars and auroras, even more believable movement from wind on grass and vegetation, and more improvements we’ll share in the future. Our new setting also gives us the opportunity to introduce new mechanics, gameplay improvements, and even new weapons.

Our trailer today offers a glimpse into this world, but there’s so much more to show, and we’ll have much more to share in the months ahead, including details about Atsu’s journey and the people (and animals) she’ll meet along the way. We are forever grateful for the success of Ghost of Tsushima, and we can’t wait for you all to experience Ghost of Yōtei in 2025.
SO BACK MODE: ON

Everything about it sounds so good. Needs motion matching and better stealth. I can already imagine this coming with massive Legends 2.0 mode omg can't wait.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real
They need to actually change their rendering techniques. I had the same problem with SM2: I'm not seeing a logical advancement in visuals given the first game was released most of 5 years back on the PS4.

And if you're not gonna stun with visuals, how about gameplay? I honestly don't think they should reveal sequels without a solid gameplay kick. Gotta see the new stealth, combat, etc. I mean, surely we're going to get better level/world design, better AI, better stealth mechanics, dismemberment, destruction, etc. Right? Right?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Adored the first game but I’m just not interested in playing as a woman in the setting. The idea of her cutting down men twice her size is simply absurd.

I'm so fucking tired of girl boss protagonists in western video games. What once was fresh is not only a tired old cliche, but increasingly a warning sign of a studio with dangerously low testosterone levels and where conveying the right message is more important than giving what the predominantly male gaming public wants.

And this is with most people.

I understand they need to create something fresh from a new character, but I still think it is really a bad decision.

People wanted to play as Jin in feudal Japan. People are attached to his story and at least want to see a sequel. Don't fix something that not broken. This gona alienate many old players.
That's not what they wanted to make though.

If they're not interested in making a by-the-numbers sequel, then they shouldn't be obligated to.

Kangx

I don't understand, we have much more powerful consoles than previous gen and yet games still look the same with only marginal improvement, seems developers are not bothering bringing fidelity and keep re-using the same assets
Check your eyes. This game look way better than the original. At time it's cg like. This gota be run on the Pro. Look how clean the image is.

Top Bottom