• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

shinnn

can't decide which version to get, if the PS3 version is on par with the 360 version, then I'll be picking up the PS3 version first thing tomorrow
Chance of PS3 being on par is very low judging by the beta. Lens of truth posted an image comparison and it seems the same as the beta.

JJD

Yes, it is for the most part.

While the image quality doesn't appear to be as high as in that demo (and it's hard to be sure given that it's offscreen), the gameplay is very similar.

The one thing that really irks me is that the game isn't as open ended as I would have liked. Even in that video the scenario was clearly geared towards your new abilities, which is fine for the occasional segment where you need to constrain gameplay in order to best deliver narrative. But in the final release, almost every scenario is built around your special abilities. I would love a more open, sandbox style Ghost Recon game. This is just too narrow.

That said, while the plot is almost trite beyond belief, there are many gamers that will lap this up. Do you adore CoD's campaigns? Do you think Act of Valor was Oscar-worthy cinematic genius? Yeah? Then you'll love this.

Guerilla mode is the games saving grace for me. It's not perfect, but I'll dedicate a few dozen hours go it at least.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I'll get the game, maybe I'll wait until the price drops a little since I'm not interested in the MP, just SP.

I'm not a fan of COD campaigns but if the gameplay is there I'll suffer through plot!

EekTheKat

I really love that. Not only does it provide valuable information, but it enhances the "squad" feeling, if you get what I mean.

I haven't tried coop yet but how does sync'ed shot work with other people? Do you simply have to make sure you shoot at the same time? You only mark your own target for the rest of the team to know who you are aiming at right? (I assume your screen name shows up above your target)

Sync shots on coop works something like this :

4 targets, one person can mark all 4, each person lines up their own shot basically.

Augmented Reality draws a line from your teammates gun to the target they're aiming at, and the on screen indicator tells you if they're lined up and ready for their shot. AFAIK each person still has to pull the trigger at the same time but there's a fairly strong visual mechanism to let them know when it's time to shoot.

In theory, all the tools are there for Sync shots to work without even using voice to talk it through. The actual mechanism seems fairly foolproof with a strong lock-on mechanism.

In practice though, I would mark targets for my group, each person would then call out the target the target they're on ("I got 3"). I would do one visual pan to make sure we each have a target, then we do a simple 3,2,1 countdown to shoot.

Players typically react better to a voice on coms than a visual indicator, so talking it through typicallly makes it a smoother experience.

Nice. Grenades definitely seem more balanced. And melee actually works half the time now.

yea it's good that they made the melee more responsive, but coming from Battlefield 3 as my most recent frequently played competitive shooter I'm not a big fan of the melee from the front being a 1 hit kill

sucks turning a corner and having a slight jump on someone in CQC to have them tap the win button after I open fire on their faces and have them come out victorious, especially with that stupid throwdown and stomp animation that happens most of the time :(

yea it's good that they made the melee more responsive, but coming from Battlefield 3 as my most recent frequently played competitive shooter I'm not a big fan of the melee from the front being a 1 hit kill

sucks turning a corner and having a slight jump on someone in CQC to have them tap the win button after I open fire on their faces and have them come out victorious, especially with that stupid throwdown and stomp animation that happens most of the time :(

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it's really no different from CoD's stabby-stab (just a lot less responsive and way more of a gamble), which I'm guessing you may not be a fan of either.

Ha. It is such a strange animation, isn't it? Oh, well. I'll give them kudos for going against the stab/neck-break/any other generic melee kill grain.

JaxJag

Banned
I like the gameplay.

But the game is completely broken. Lag, disconnects, EMPs that cause your hud to disappear the entire game.

Sloppy launch, almost makes me want to never buy another Ubisoft game.

According to the Internets Future Soldier uses the YETI engine, same as GRAW and Graw2. So why does it look so grainy, jaggy and overall rough around the edges compared to the smooth, immaculate IQ off the previous games? 6 years on no less.

I hope there is a Digital Foundry article shedding some light on the matter.

Played MP for a few hours last night on 360 and I'm really enjoying it. I was looking for a new multiplayer fix after being disappointed in Max Payne and this certainly delivers.

I actually dug my kinetic out of the closet for gunsmith and while it's certainly neat, the novelty wore off pretty fast.

Jamesways

I suck so bad at MP. So terrible. I think I'm getting worse at these online shooters as I get older. Damn kids and their headshots.
Any tips? Engineer the way to go to get an edge or no?

Guerilla mode is damn tough by yourself, I'm still bummed they got rid of the old terrorist hunt mode. At least in that I had a chance against the AI if my friends weren't online. But with this mode, it's pretty essential to have partners. I gotta get on the same time schedule as my buddies to play this. Hoping to try this and some co-op story this weekend. Haven't gotten too far into the campaign yet, but I'm really digging the gameplay so far.

Despite the changes, it's nice to play GR again, it's been too long since GRAW 1 and 2.

I have a feeling this game won't meet it's 3 million target any time soon. It's one of the last few great hardcore shooters on console despite some of the new elements added in that make it more accessible. I'll be sad if the brand becomes really dumbed down after this :(

zlatko

Banned
Played some of the first mission of campaign with a buddy last night. Started off fucking great, but I really had little time to play, so we opted out for MP the rest of the night.

MP felt amazing. The maps are solid, Siege is great, and I don't know if it was the pistols or snipers that got a buff, but I was getting mileage with my Scout. :D

Linch

Neo Member
I've yet to touch the singleplayer or co-op yet, but I love the pace of the multiplayer.

If anyone wants, I've made a squad for GAF. Name: NeoGAF, Tag: GAF on the 360, if you like add me, my gamertag is Linchy on 360, and we can team up, get some proper competitive and also fun team matches going with microphones etc.

Either send me a message on XBL, put your gamertag in this thread or on here. I think its upto 32 players in the Squad, so once it is full someone can make a 2nd squad, if it does fill up.

I've spoken to Vis and he says it's fine as he is not a dedicated player to GR and won't have the time.

Cheers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just beat it, it's REALLY apparent this game got rushed near the end. Bugs and glitches galore and there's not even an "ending" you finish the mission and it simply goes to credits.

Junior Gaffer Linch setup a SQUAD for Xbox 360 players who are interested.

I updated the OP in the Community section with the info. He tells me he can't post yet due to pending activation.

I linked to his 360 Gamertag below, he's also a friend of the GAFGhostReconFS Gamertag. Message him via XBL or post in the thread and he said he will add you to the Squad

XBOX 360 SQUAD - Setup by Linchy

• SQUAD NAME: NeoGAF
  • TAG: GAF

WX3

Seems so, as I just logged into the game and couldnt connect. This is crap I must say. I really was looking forward to Friday night coop with a buddy but that is not in the works I guess. I dont feel like working on the campaign because I am balls deep in Max Payne 3 right now, but a friend wanted to try some Guerrilla and maybe some multiplayer. I haven't been able to connect to UBI all day, well, at least since noon CST.

EDIT: Just connected to UBI. I hope and pray it stays up!!

d1rtn4p

Ugggg. Played the first two missions, and seems like crazy, attention deficit, shaky cam bro action game in the spririt of call of duty. If this is the future of Ghost Recon, I don't want it.

Having real trouble with the Shattered Mountain mission. Seems like the Ghost team AI is broken. I'm at what looks like the last checkpoint before you get your last target, and the team just turns around and bolts to the start of the map. Makes it near impossible to get through in time to catch your target.

Sojgat

Ugggg. Played the first two missions, and seems like crazy, attention deficit, shaky cam bro action game in the spririt of call of duty. If this is the future of Ghost Recon, I don't want it.

I'm with you, 4 missions in and I'm not enjoying the campaign at all. Breaking up the action with a mini cutscene every 2 minutes is starting to get painful. I would just play the multi but it seems to be taking 10 minutes to find and start a round. Really great stuff Ubi.

Lord Snow

Banned
Definitely regret picking this up now, can't even play online due to the crappy server issues and the SP is awful. Looks like I'll be trading it for Dirt soon.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking such a question but I'm thinking of getting the game; I'm not a fan of CoD gameplay and not good in FPS games, would I enjoy the game?

Dead Man

So... more like GR or GRAW? Does the SP have open maps and good design? I really don't care for MP except for co op every now and them, so the SP is really important for me.

Spent 40 minutes trying to play online earlier. Every game was a massive lag filled fest. I ended up giving up. It's a massive clusterfuck atm (360 version).

I think I have managed to only get like 3 lag free games since launch.

Ubisoft need to step their game up and fix this asap.

Edit: I am liking the SP aspect, but am disappointed over the changes made. Why ditch the design from E3 2010. I loved that design/setting. The game was darker, and the futuristic designs/elements were really good imo. I liked how aiming switched to first person view.

Hopefully that version makes a return :(

MattDoza

Spent 40 minutes trying to play online earlier. Every game was a massive lag filled fest. I ended up giving up. It's a massive clusterfuck atm (360 version).

That sounds an awful lot like the beta. Was my issue for a majority of the beta period. If it wasn't lag, it was freezing or getting stuck in a looped loading screen.

By the time I got in and got to play I was too aggravated, with the issues, to handle the games lag, spawn camping, balance issues, and more to really give a fuck. And the game has an online pass, so I'll probably never give it a shot via Gamefly.

...still holding out hope for the Rainbow Six game.

Yeah, it still has all the issues the Beta had, right down to spawning taking like 20 seconds and having headless bodies appear when spawning.

I am hoping this gets fixed soon, otherwise I think the MP is gonna die very fast.

That sounds an awful lot like the beta. Was my issue for a majority of the beta period. If it wasn't lag, it was freezing or getting stuck in a looped loading screen.

By the time I got in and got to play I was too aggravated, with the issues, to handle the games lag, spawn camping, balance issues, and more to really give a fuck. And the game has an online pass, so I'll probably never give it a shot via Gamefly.

...still holding out hope for the Rainbow Six game.

I didnt play yesterday due to the server issues, but up until yesterday I didn't really have any problems with MP lag or freezing. They seemed to have everything figured out from the Beta...

I wouldn't hold out hope for Rainbow Six, there's a pretty lengthy "gameplay" trailer out there, and if you thought they took GR in a different direction you ain't seen nothing yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6tbzN_Za4

Ken

This game is fun, but I liked Conviction so it might not mean much.

It's not old GR or R6 at all though.

madmackem

Edit: I am liking the SP aspect, but am disappointed over the changes made. Why ditch the design from E3 2010. I loved that design/setting. The game was darker, and the futuristic designs/elements were really good imo. I liked how aiming switched to first person view.

Hopefully that version makes a return :(

You can go into first person mode by clicking in the left stick.

Game looks rather rough dont it, when the server plays well its a fantastic game, however those are few and far between. Sort it out ubisoft first max payne lag now ghost reacon lag.

Top Bottom