• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands "we are judges" ring wing propaganda?

Pandy

It's got Tom Clancy in the title dude.

Mostly this. Tom Clancy dudes almost always have the Presidential Stamp of Approval for everything they do, so it's hardly a big political gesture here.

Also, isn't it supposed to reference the system a bit like the Nemesis system from Lord of the Rings where you can play missions different ways and have different impacts on the cartel?
(I'm paraphrasing what has been stated/implied in trailers, I have no info on the gameplay specifics.)

Having grown tired of being arbitrarily killed in GTA online by people with infinite respawning jump jets, I'm hoping this will fill the gap for me and my friends in the 'drive around together and occasionally blow stuff up' genre.

Kinyou

It's definitely glorifying war, as pretty much all war games do, but I'm not sure I'd call it right wing propaganda. I don't see this arguing specific political viewpoints beyond "The Army is awesome!"

a military shooter with a right wing bent?

you don't say

I feel like it's more pandering to the "doody in your heart, bleed for your country, get them bad guys and be a hero, USA USA USA"-feels, than any systemic and intentional right wing propaganda. These themes might overlap with elements you'd expect from right wing propaganda though. They're appealing to the same set of emotions. But I have a hard time believing Ubisoft is actively trying to recruit people to Trump or anything.

^^

op, you ever even seen a call of duty?

also

It's got Tom Clancy in the title dude.

BigDes

Kind of sad to see people dismissing the worth of discussing the political themes and ideologies presented in videogames. Especially on GAF, where I would hope people would want videogames to be more than disposable pieces of mindless entertainment.

Yes, Tom Clancy games do espouse a rather right wing militaristic view of the world where there is a clear delineation between good guys and bad guys. I wouldn't say this was propaganda though, I doubt Ubisoft is secretly Abstergo and doing any intentional social engineering, more that this sort of militaristic techno-fetishism comes part and parcel of the Tom Clancy brand.

Now the cancelled Rainbow Six game where you hunted down and killed members of the Occupy movement seems a lot more tasteless and tone deaf than this one.

Kind of sad to see people dismissing the political themes and ideologies presented in videogames. Especially on GAF, where I would hope people would want videogames to be more than disposable pieces of mindless entertainment.

Yes, Tom Clancy games do espouse a rather right wing militaristic view of the world where there is a clear delineation between good guys and bad guys. I wouldn't say this was propaganda though, I doubt Ubisoft is secretly Abstergo and doing any intentional social engineering, more that this sort of militaristic techno-fetishism comes part and parcel of the Tom Clancy brand.

Now the cancelled Rainbow Six game where you hunted down and killed members of the Occupy movement seems a lot more tasteless and tone deaf than this one.

Especially considering the main development team behind this game is Ubisoft Paris. It's not even developed in the US...

galdevo

You could have stealth missions where you have to avoid civilian casualties or you lose the mission. There could be missions where you try to prevent radicalisation in the first place with a different non-military character who talks to young men in those areas who are about to be brainwashed and there could be dialogue choices. It could be a vignette structure with multiple characters working on the conflict from different angles than just purely violent shootbang.

There may very well be stealth missions like that in this upcoming game. But for you second idea, nobody wants that. It's boring and embarrassingly trite.

You could have stealth missions where you have to avoid civilian casualties or you lose the mission.
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier had several of these.

More interestingly, they had one where it wasn't stealth, but balls to the wall action in the middle of a city street filled with traffic and running civilians, with enemies blending in to the chaos. It was great, and a lesson in controlling your fires.

eso76

It appears shooting people and looting make for fun gameplay mechanics. I wouldn't read too much into it, but I'd be interested in a good in-depth anthropological analysis on why the concepts of game and fun are almost always associated with killing / shooting.
I always assumed it has to tie with our primal instincts but I'd like to know more

It appears shooting people and looting make for fun gameplay mechanics. I wouldn't read too much into it, but I'd be interested in a good in-depth anthropological analysis on why the concepts of game and fun are almost always associated with killing / shooting.
I always assumed it has to tie with our primal instincts but I'd like to know more

The thing I hate most about Destiny is how it made looting a thing in shooting games. I want to shoot shit, not grind loot like I'm playing a fucking MMO. I heard The Division is just as bad as Destiny in that regard.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Killing is one of the quickest ways of ensuring player agency and natural feedback in a multitude of different genres. Whether it's via war fetishism or self defense from aliens or zombies shooting is one of those concepts that's really easy to for an audience to buy as something you're doing in a game. Plus, it helps that a multiple of developers absolutely nail gunplay.

The thing I hate most about Destiny is how it made looting a thing in shooting games. I want to shoot shit, not grind loot like I'm playing a fucking MMO. I heard The Division is just as bad as Destiny in that regard.
I suppose we're just gonna pretend like Borderlands was never a thing... ¬_¬

Nudull

Banned
A lot of military-themed games run into these kind of issues. Ubisoft could've worded the dialogue better, but still.

Yeah, it's worse in The Division. Far worse.

And for less interesting loot ta boot.

And yes, I don't need grind in all my shooters. Hell, its a breath of fresh air to play Overwatch and have all gameplay unlocked from the get-go.

JayTapp

Calling it propaganda would imply some willful agenda pushing, which I don't think is what's happening at all.

What is happening is that Ubisoft is continuing to profit off of Tom Clancy's jingoistic themes that people seem to eat up.

Ya look no further than that.

$$$$

They make what people buy, it's pretty simple.

What's with Ubisoft lately and making protagonists that we're supposed to view as hero's but in hindsight just seem like uncaring dicks.

First Watch_dogs, then the division. I feel that this game will elicit the same debate as the division.

Top Bottom