• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

OMG Aero

I was coming to this thread to read about the game since I just pre-ordered it, but instead I'm going to leave because people with signatures are shitting up the thread.

zigg

:lol

Something I just thought to mention. I originally didn't think that there'd be much of a problem with the iOS version's controllability, but now I'm not so sure. Some of it might prove fairly annoying, actually, on an iPhone-sized device.

Raife

Just started playing. The writing is a lot funnier than I was expecting it too be. The story that sets up the game mechanics actually makes sense. Better than other puzzle-type games that attempt to use story to justify them. Not a huge deal, but I thought it added to the game.

I'm interested to see how the difficulty curve is. The first two chapters haven't been all that challenging.

Nemesis_

Raife said:
Just started playing. The writing is a lot funnier than I was expecting it too be. The story that sets up the game mechanics actually makes sense. Better than other puzzle-type games that attempt to use story to justify them. Not a huge deal, but I thought it added to the game.

I'm interested to see how the difficulty curve is. The first two chapters haven't been all that challenging.

The only times I've got stuck is when something really obvious has gone straight over my head.

That being said I am enjoying the fact that when I get stuck it's not due to weird turnabout logic like in Ace Attorney.

I still think it's incredibly clever.

zigg

Nemesis556 said:
The only times I've got stuck is when something really obvious has gone straight over my head.

Yeah, it never gets frustratingly difficult. And when you are stuck, you can always freely experiment then rewind to try again with no penalty.

Nemesis556 said:
That being said I am enjoying the fact that when I get stuck it's not due to weird turnabout logic like in Ace Attorney.

I, too, thought this, and I wondered if it was in part because the medium is far more visual that it works better. The puzzles in GT can definitely still get "weird," but because they're laid out in front of you visually, they're easier to make sense of logically.

zigg

Nemesis556 said:
It's fucking amazing either way. ;D I can't really find anything to fault with it....yet!

I certainly didn't find anything! Unless you want to count how sometimes there are unskippable dialogues in the 4 minutes world. That is really it full stop for me. Amazing game.

When some of you get near the end I want to talk about what they could do for a sequel.

Wizpig

I'd like to know ASAP if English (USA) in the NTSC version is the same translation as English (UK) in the Eur version.

Thanks to anyone that can answer :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its a nice jester, but I really would of rather had a CD then a Digital Soundtrack for preordering from Amazon. Bet it isn't even a complete soundtrack :/

Turnstyle

Drkirby said:
Its a nice jester, but I really would of rather had a CD then a Digital Soundtrack for preordering from Amazon. Bet it isn't even a complete soundtrack :/

jester.jpg

meltingparappa said:
God this game is great. Its exactly what I felt Perfect Prosecutor was missing. I'm lucky to have received it right before the east coast snowstorm stopped all shipping.

Also would anyone like my code to download the soundtrack?

Go to http://www.capcom.com/GTredeem/ and put enter 'gtd00256cc7'

Thanks! This'll tide me over until the ice melts away here in Atlanta.

zigg

Is there a way to buy the soundtrack? Is it complete enough to be worth buying?

I certainly don't mind paying a few bucks for MP3s.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nowhere to be found yet. I think they're probably going to release it limited over here anyway due to the whole Ace Attorney investigations bullshit.

Guess I'll just order online

Nemesis_

In Australia, Ghost Trick is only being stocked by EBGames if you pre-order or put a special order in. There's no copies going to customers who just walk in.

A bit disappointing. I hope this game gets enough sales, it definitely deserves it.

Up to Chapter 8. Any way to check the time played so far? I wanna know how long this is!

zigg

Nemesis556 said:
Up to Chapter 8. Any way to check the time played so far? I wanna know how long this is!

Didn't find one, no. I would guess it's anywhere between 6-10 hours though.

Can anyone confirm if the pre-order soundtrack is lossy? In that case, someone can have my code.

Apparently Japan got a full two disc soundtrack for pre-ordering.
285dzs.jpg

Edit: Never mind.
Step 4: A pop up screen will then appear where you can download a .ZIP file that contains the soundtrack MP3 files
:( First person to PM me gets my soundtrack code.

Just got to Chapter
. If it's true that there are
chapters, I think I'll be very pleased. I love how tight the narrative is in this game; you didn't really get that in Ace Attorney because even if there was an overarching plotline, the episodic style of the game really broke things up. Ghost Trick so far just seems to be getting more and more intense as it continues, and I absolutely love it.

dvolovets

I'm up to Chapter
, totally loving this game. :D Some of the music and sound effects remind me of Phoenix Wright, too.

Check out the bass line in these two tunes:

Phoenix Wright "Suspense" Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44M5siTtuI4
Ghost Trick "A Dashing Enigma": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdwy8-NqHPI

Pretty similar, and it's used in similar places, too (i.e., when there's a plot twist). Good stuff.

Something that stood out to me in the narrative:
When Sissel is in the writer lady's room and examines the dictionary, he says something like "Irregardless, I have to figure out a way to get this huge book to her". I cringed because 'irregardless' is obviously wrong, but you still see it used a lot. I literally LOLed when the next line was "...Wait a minute, is 'irregardless' even a word?" :lol :lol :lol

Wizpig

If some kind GAFfer get another soundtrack code i'd very much like one, since i live in Europe. thanks!

edit. i don't need a code any longer!

LiK

forgot to mention that i got it today. didnt have a chance to play it tho due to snowstowm and shoveling.

Jintor

Neither. Neither.

Possibly the only only thing is unskippable animations, but they're part of the puzzles, so...

Top Bottom