• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Boney

Banned
Fantastical said:
I just ordered this........ I really shouldn't have, though. Oh well, hope it was worth it.
WP__Ghost_Trick__Missile_by_SuperDrama.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ninj4junpei said:
Can anyone confirm if the pre-order soundtrack is lossy? In that case, someone can have my code.

Apparently Japan got a full two disc soundtrack for pre-ordering.
285dzs.jpg

Edit: Never mind.

:( First person to PM me gets my soundtrack code.
Damn it, I didn't know it was a unique code, I used it on a public computer :/

dvolovets

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Me too.

...haha. There's just something about Takumi's games... seriously, they're impossible to put down. I could never understand how people could get addicted to something like World of Warcraft (not my cup of tea), but if WoW players are as addicted to that game as I am to Takumi's stuff... yikes. The difference here, though, is that text games have pretty low replay value. I'm already on Chapter 9, and despite it apparently being
the half-way point
, I'm starting to wish that I could forget some of these plot points and experience them all over again. The "Phoenix Wright Effect", I guess...haha.

JoeFu

Banned
Just beat it... soooooo gooood
Missle really is the best

This game is seriously awesome. The story, puzzles, characters. It just works so well. I don't know how another would work but man... soo goood

Erigu

Fantastical said:
So, is this game's conclusion satisfying, speaking of the story?
I'd say it's a bit like Gyakuten Saiban 3 / Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations in the sense that it's a good, emotional conclusion where everything neatly comes together (except for some contrived aspects you may spot if you think a bit about it, unfortunately), with many (big) twists.
If you enjoyed the former, chances are you will like Ghost Trick.

hamchan

Erigu said:
I'd say it's a bit like Gyakuten Saiban 3 / Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations in the sense that it's a good, emotional conclusion where everything neatly comes together (except for some contrived aspects you may spot if you think a bit about it, unfortunately), with many (big) twists.
If you enjoyed the former, chances are you will like Ghost Trick.
Shiiiiiiieeeeetttt

Ace Attorney 3 comparisons?! I must have this game.

LiK

The writing, humor and music are all pretty much like AA. Hard not to compare that. But the characters are taking me a lil longer to warm up to for some reason. Its prolly because it has more gameplay than story/speech.

Still enjoying it immensely and I'm currently at a tricky puzzle.

Thoraxes

Maybe i'm crazy for saying this, but...
This game has some of the best 2D animation i've ever seen in a game ever. Playing it is beautiful and i'm loving it so far.

I just got to the part where
Lynne dies for the 3rd time at the chicken diner place under the giant piece of meat

Nemesis_

I'm interested to hear what people have found to be tricky, mainly because I wanna see if people got stuck at the same place as me.

It's all a bit of a blur at the moment, so I can't think of any off the top of my head. >_>

Haunted

Thoraxes said:
Maybe i'm crazy for saying this, but...
This game has some of the best 2D animation i've ever seen in a game ever. Playing it is beautiful and i'm loving it so far.
Yes, rotoscoping is pretty fucking awesome.

Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback, The Last Express... pretty much every game using it has been lauded for its particularly life-like animation. And with good reason. :D

Jintor

ShockingAlberto said:
My Amazon package should come tomorrow

It literally took an act of God to keep me from Ghost Trick.

Well played, old man!

Are you sure a ghost saving somebody's life wasn't involved

Erigu

Nemesis556 said:
I'm interested to hear what people have found to be tricky, mainly because I wanna see if people got stuck at the same place as me.
The only bits that frustrated me were [you might not want to read the following if you aren't done with the game yet]
the part where you use Missile's powers for the first time (I just couldn't figure how the thing worked... and I'm still not entirely sure about the exact "solution" of that stage: I was just glad it was over and didn't look back), and once again later on when you have to switch the bullet with... I don't even remember what, but I remember not knowing which object to use. So yeah: Missile's powers, basically. It wasn't a problem in the sub, but apart from that...

Nemesis_

Erigu said:
The only bits that frustrated me were
the part where you use Missile's powers for the first time (I just couldn't figure how the thing worked... and I'm still not entirely sure about the exact "solution" of that stage: I was just glad it was over and didn't look back), and once again later on when you have to switch the bullet with... I don't even remember what, but I remember not knowing which object to use. So yeah: Missile's powers, basically. It wasn't a problem in the sub, but apart from that...

fml. I am not up to this part yet and still read it.

grr.

Danielsan

I'm calling it. This may very well be the funniest game ever. Baily and Cabanela are amazing characters. Whoever wrote the dialogue and did the animations deserve a price.

zigg

Nemesis556 said:
fml. I am not up to this part yet and still read it.

grr.
Shit, man, that was one of the most epic bits too.

DO NOT READ SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD.

I am biting clean through my tongue on a lot of things just because I know self-control and spoilers don't mix, heh.

Nemesis_

Erigu said:
Er... Sorry, man. But yeah, you shouldn't read spoilers until you've cleared the game, really.

Really though you should mark them with a Chap number, especially if you are responding to my post. It's not that hard.

I didn't really care overall with this particular spoil but people who blame the spoilee and feign responsibility annoy me.

FWIW that puzzle was also the hardest thus far for me.

Volcynika

Erigu said:
Er... Sorry, man. But yeah, you shouldn't read spoilers until you've cleared the game, really.

Yeahhhhhh, you just spoiler-tagged it poorly. I didn't even read it because I don't have the game, but like he said, mark it with a chapter number. Spoiler tagging with context = best way to spoiler tag.

tim.mbp

The blizzard has kept me from getting to my PO Box. Hopefully I will get to it this afternoon and bath in all of Takumi's glory.

wsippel

Banned
Awesome, awesome game. I would agree that it's Takumi's best game yet - and I love Ace Attorney.

Still, I think Takumi might get a little too much credit here. He worked with people from the Zack & Wiki team, and I'd say their influence is very noticeable in many areas of the game, including the rightfully lauded animations. It's in some ways an amalgamation of the best elements of Ace Attorney and Zack & Wiki.

Erigu

Nemesis556 said:
Really though you should mark them with a Chap number
I guess that would be better, indeed. It's just that nobody was doing that and I didn't think of it (personally, if I don't want to be spoiled, I know I avoid spoilers altogether until I'm done with the game... and then, I go back and check what all those black boxes were talking about).

especially if you are responding to my post. It's not that hard.
I didn't really care overall with this particular spoil but people who blame the spoilee and feign responsibility annoy me.
Hey, now. I used spoiler tags, and you chose to read it anyway. It was about "what people have found to be tricky", so I would think that covers the entire game. If you hadn't played through the entire game already, you should have known that there definitely was a possibility that would spoil something for you. I mean, that's why spoiler tags exist.

And I don't quite get the "especially if you are responding to my post"... I replied because I thought that was an interesting topic, not necessarily to discuss it with you specifically. But even ignoring that, was I supposed to know where you were in the game? Honestly, if anything, I was under the impression you were done, based on your "what people have found" and "it's all a bit of a blur at the moment" comments. Was I supposed to track down your previous messages and speculate where you were in the game based on those?

I mean, I realize you're pissed, and like I said, I'm sorry for you... but accusing me of trying to shift the blame, seriously?

Anyway, it looks like some names were changed for the English version... Who is "Baily"?

JoeFu

Banned
Isn't he the dancing cop?

And I like the comparison to AA3, the way the end ties everything up neatly at the is perfect. I seriously wish I could erase all memories of this game to replay it again and have the same experience again. It was seriously awesome.

zigg

JoeFu said:
And I like the comparison to AA3, the way the end ties everything up neatly at the is perfect. I seriously wish I could erase all memories of this game to replay it again and have the same experience again. It was seriously awesome.

Yeah, I mentioned that exact thing in my review. Just like how T&T drove me to play into the night... GT is similarly great in that regard.

JoeFu

Banned
Tuesday when I got the game I played from 3-6 PM, finished my night class, then played from 10-3am. Yesterday I played from 10PM to 2 AM to beat the game. I have not done that in forever and usually only do that with the AA games. I NEED MORE!!!!

Erigu

JoeFu said:
Isn't he the dancing cop?
Maybe? In the Japanese version, he was "Officer Bozu".

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, you were probably referring to Inspector Cabanela... That one didn't change.
I'm a bit curious about the basis for some of the name changes... They're (almost?) all Japanese-based puns, and yet it looks like they only changed a few of them. I can see why they'd change "Kuneri" (maybe that's "Baily", actually? the lamp?), but aside from that...

JoeFu

Banned
Just downloaded the "soundtrack". Had no idea it was even a pre order bonus, but thanks to you guys I checked my email and found out Amazon sent it to me last night. What a sad excuse for a soundtrack. No track titles, no art, no anything. It's even missing tracks by going off the numbers! What the heck!

Top Bottom