• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling someone is gonna pay for Rolfe to see the movie and he's gonna be like "well golly, that wasn't the vomit dog feces putrid shit stain on a turd sand which laced with cat urine and blended with scotch and piss that I thought it was gonna be."

I have a feeling someone is gonna pay for Rolfe to see the movie and he's gonna be like "well golly, that wasn't the vomit dog feces putrid shit stain on a turd sand which laced with cat urine and blended with scotch and piss that I thought it was gonna be."

That someone will obviously be Sony.

And yes, I'm sure he'll go see it. That's why I found his initial declaration, even to the point of making it a subject on a Youtube video, a bit ridiculous. Him thinking it looks like garbage is fine, him not watching the movie is also fine, but as a fan, curiosity always wins out and there's no fucking way he won't watch it or talk about it-- which would just make the whole thing feel silly. But we'll see.

I'm a huge fan of James' btw.

cr0w

Old Member
It was just such a bizarre fucking thing that could only exist in today's internet culture lol.

The video's tone was so depressing and serious. It was so fucking weird

The fact that he felt like it was something that had to be stated and shared just baffled me. Pure narcissism. Again...YouTube.

Why would someone publicly want to get involved with this public relations shit show again just to get monstered by the press and build up his bank of death threats. Pretty sure the man doesn't just exist to fuel the internet drama engines.

Imagine being such a giant turbonerd you gotta make a video declaration about not seeing a Ghostbusters movie cuz it wasnt like the one from your childhood

pompidu

Imagine being such a giant turbonerd you gotta make a video declaration about not seeing a Ghostbusters movie cuz it wasnt like the one from your childhood

If you were a subscriber you would understand why, he even mentions it at the beginning of the video. Was still dumb though lol.

Koyuga

Imagine getting upset about a video on the internet. Come on, guys, this is silly. We're better than that. Talk about the movie.

cr0w

Old Member
May I interest you in a sci-fi action epic called Thor: The Dark World

Actually never saw it, I had no interest. No opinion on it either way. I have friends who really enjoyed it though, but tastes vary.

Then again, I think ASM is better than any of Raimi's Spider Man movies, so I'm probably in need of psychiatric care in people's eyes.

Zolo

I never really read into the thing, but why do people care about Rolfe going to see and review it? I thought he didn't regularly review movies anyway.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The fuck, Polygon?

The least interesting thing about Feig's version of the movie was also the least interesting thing about Reitman's: the ghosts.

No. No. Huh huh. Huh Huh. No. No. NO, NO, NO. No. HELL NO.

Vinland

Banned
Consistent shit reasoning isn't any better then just plain shit reasoning. He is pretty die hard about a lot of stupid shit he is just usually quieter about it.

Even if he does see it he probably won't say shit because he made such a stupid stance.

Why are you busting AVGNs balls so much? His stance isn't any stupider than your stance of his stance.

@review scores

Seems to me no major technical issues with the movie other than a) it's jokes are hit and miss with crowds and b) it does little to push past what the original set out to do.

Will probably end up seeing in theaters after all if some friends wanna go.

Averon

Why we still talking about Rolfe?

I don't know what's sillier: Rolfe's video or people still bitching about it months later.

Zolo

Imagine getting upset about a video on the internet. Come on, guys, this is silly. We're better than that. Talk about the movie.

I always thought the video was a response to people pestering him about seeing it which was a lot more than normal. A video's a mainstream way of letting people know in comparison to twitter which not as many people see.

The idea that this amount of discourse is being generated by a Ghostbusters film of any description is utterly baffling to me.

Some people are talking as if they remade the Godfather with the puppets from Fraggle Rock. It's fucking Ghostbusters!

I liked Bridesmaid. I expect this to be similarly entertaining.

Catch ye'.

I'm not surprised at all tbh.

Total Recall and Robocop got awful remakes and there was barely any vitriol aimed at them (check the trailer like ratios on YT).

This one is a good remake and gets shit on.

Hmmmmm....

Could it be...

ethics?

Goodstyle

The people still obsessing over it. Easy.

Gonna have to agree because Rolfe himself likely doesn't even give a shit, and his video made him come off as a nerdy fanboy more than a sexist. I genuinely believe he would have felt this way about any reboot, women or not. He's just one of those purist nerds who don't pay too much attention to the internet. His fans that reacted to people making fun of Rolfe are the worst though. They went way, way, too far given that the man himself mostly doesn't give a shit.

pompidu

You've got a point. Apologies.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

From most of the reviews, seems like Hemsworth knocked it out of the park. I only know him from thor, so that is a pleasant surprise, they should of added more of his humor in the trailers.

I'm not surprised at all tbh.

Total Recall and Robocop got awful remakes and there was barely any vitriol aimed at them (check the trailer like ratios on YT).

This one is a good remake and gets shit on.

Hmmmmm....

Could it be...

ethics?
Robocop wasn't even that bad. It just didn't have that Reagan era satire which it was impossible unless they turned the movie into a full on cartoon parody.

The only thing we have to ask about this is will this Ghostbusters be forgotten or will Sony commit to it?

Yikes. That sounds abysmal.

Between this and this:

The Pixels comparison has been around for a bit and valid.

I'm starting to think you really wanted this film to be worse than it is.

I'm sorry, it's just not.

Why we still talking about Rolfe?

I don't know what's sillier: Rolfe's video or people still bitching about it months later.

Because it encapsulated all the absurd criticism about this film - people were calling it a disaster before they had any idea how good/bad it'd be.

Now that it's here and it's actually pretty good, that criticism is even *more* absurd than it already was.

John is my go-to reviewer next to Schnepp and Wolf. This will probably be the most knit picky thing for me too.

Yikes. That sounds abysmal.

Yeah. If the movie is good enough I can overlook it. It can also be subjective, people had this problem with Force Awakens right down to it being a remake of New Hope (which I don't agree with) but it didn't bother me at all. I feel like it could be a detriment here, however.

I've never really had a problem with the cast and that it's a reboot, that doesn't bother me but it needs to stand on its own, being as such. It was my biggest fear to be honest.

Wish more reviews would come in, it's looking positive right now but there's only 43 so far counted. It's a decent gauge, but I'm sure there's gonna be a truckload more and that could sway things.

Sanjuro

Yeah. If the movie is good enough I can overlook it. It can also be subjective, people had this problem with Force Awakens right down to it being a remake of New Hope (which I don't agree with) but it didn't bother me at all. I feel like it could be a detriment here, however.

I've never really had a problem with the cast and that it's a reboot, that doesn't bother me but it needs to stand on its own, being as such. It was my biggest fear to be honest.

I had no problem with Star Wars.

For Ghostbusters, they have gone out of their way to explain that it is unique from the original film. Now here is a review stating it knocks you over the head with cameos every ten minutes.

For Ghostbusters, they have gone out of their way to explain that it is unique from the original film. Now here is a review stating it knocks you over the head with cameos every ten minutes.

I don't know if this is me being defensive, maybe it is-- and I'm not defending the cameos in a critical way, but rather I guess I can understand why they're there. Being a reboot with so many people upset it's not a proper continuation may have led to them feeling obliged to incorporate so many cameos and references out of respect or something.

I still say it should have completely been its own thing, and tonally it still could be, but when those old actors pop up, I fear it may feel disingenuous; again, an obligation, rather than feeling "right."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom