• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopeReal

I always find it interesting that people can make youtube videos that get lots of attention, but people criticize others for discussing it. Youtube is part of our culture now. People are going to talk about it whether it was today or last year if it is big enough.

Seeing some good scores there, lol. Anyone feel bad for overreacting?

Hell no they won't

I'm actually watching The Heat right now-- not really my kind of thing but I'm laughing unashamedly so that's something. McCarthy is great at dropping f-bombs.

Lothar

Banned
And then he says maybe it's good, maybe it's better than the trailers, says that he doesn't really care that it looks bad (that's not his problem with it), that he watches bad stuff all the time and then proceeds to say the "real problem" he has with it is the title. Literally half of his video is that they didn't call it Ghostbusters: Subtitle with most of the rest being it should have been a sequel.

Like I said absurd. He didn't care about it being good or bad at all, just that it wasn't the exact type of movie he wanted.

Plus he's a guy who literally makes money watching and reviewing bad shit, but this is where he draws the line?

He sees bad stuff all the time but he doesn't want to see a bad Ghostbusters. I don't see why it's that absurd. He said "I see bad movies all the time but this is Ghostbusters." Ghostbusters is more important to him than the shitty horror movies he watches for fun each Halloween. He complained about the title because he saw it as a "shameless attempt to bank on the name."

IMDB

Or not

IMDB wasn't as rabid as I was expecting (God their forum/message board format is atrocious), but I did see plenty of "Critics are scared of SJW feminazis so they give higher reviews". That gave me a good chuckle.

I can just imagine a Warriors-like group of feminists with molotov cocktails and bats standing outside film critics windows.

cr0w

Old Member
He sees bad stuff all the time but he doesn't want to see a bad Ghostbusters. I don't see why it's that absurd. He said "I see bad movies all the time but this is Ghostbusters." Ghostbusters is more important to him than the shitty horror movies he watches for fun each Halloween. He complained about the title because he saw it as a "shameless attempt to bank on the name."

If we're being fair though isn't that what Hollywood does? The entire point is to bank on whatever you can.

And if he doesn't want to see a bad Ghostbusters, as much as I love it, he should have quit before he saw GB2.

Ghostbusters is not a sacred cow, and I say that as someone who has lived and breathed the franchise since 1986, when I saw the first one. The sense of entitlement the fans of this franchise have is mind-boggling. At this point it seems like the hardcore fans are more enamored with being fans of the series than they are with the movies themselves.

Vm4QyDN.gif

That first link... what the fuck

Are these numbers usually far off or are they usually closer? I never pay attention to the top critics one tbh.

Typically the "Top Critics" are about 5-20% less than the "All Critics" reviews.

Artsy-fartsy films/Oscar-bait are usually the reverse (Top critics like them more than All critics)

This is aimed at a large youth demographic though, not really a Deadpool situation.

I don't know I feel good R rated comedies can really hold their own financially. specially with the performers involved in this film.

have not seen the film yet but who knows. After Spy I will never hate on McCarthy again.

Sanjuro

I don't know I feel good R rated comedies can really hold their own financially. specially with the performers involved in this film.

have not seen the film yet but who knows. After Spy I will never hate on McCarthy again.

It would certainly work. I just don't think anyone involved with the production would be interested though. The property has reach and based on everything that has happened regarding the reboot, they are not looking to chop potential legs off.

Dude like I said he flat out says his problem with the movie isn't that it's bad it's that it's called Ghostbusters...

Implication being he might have seen it to trash it if it was called something else.

But since he has to say Ghostbusters 1984. Shit he even bitches because he this movie made 32 years after the original and 27 years after the sequel doesn't make seeing the first one a prerequisite for seeing this one, that a new generation who maybe haven't seen the original aren't required to do so before seeing this one.

He literally just cares that it's called Ghosbusters because of a lot of ridiculous things that have nothing to do with the movie being good, bad or ugly.

Coat his video all you want but the trailer being bad was not what that video was about.

Anyway I'm moving on as we aren't going to agree on this and I don't want to start another Rolfecalypse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom