• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned

giphy.gif

Makes sense people are calling it a Real Ghostbusters movie, I heard that Feig and McCartney actually fought about that on the set because she was such a huge RGB fan and wanted it to be more like the show. Sounds like she got her way!?

When you look at the directors of these does Paul Feig really belong there to you?

The really solid remakes have been made by extremely talented people. Like the reviews are saying this is being considered aiight at best by many of the reviewers. Certainly not making a case for possibly being better than the original like those you listed were.

I have no problems with going all female but I wish they aimed higher creatively on this.

WTF why does Paul Feig's name NOT belong on that list? Are comedies somehow not allowed to be remade, or remade to be as good as if not better than the original? If not Paul Feig with Ghostbusters then who? What a weird thing to say. Nobody get to join the ranks of that list until they do. Someone is going to do it. Whoever that person is, in this case it's possibly Paul Feig, gets their name on a list of people who made reboots or remakes that were on par or better than the original.

cr0w

Old Member
Shame. I heard pretty good things about it from critics, though, so I might check it out.

I think I'm in the minority as far as my opinion about it, but I just checked out really early into it and never got pulled back in. It's extraordinarily heavy-handed with its metaphors and then it just goes into Deep Blue Sea territory toward the end.

Re: Karate Kid remake, I thought it was great. The bullies were out for blood, and it gave the movie a much more serious and dangerous tone than the originals.

wetwired

This is the mentality I have to deal with on /r/Ghostbusters

gb.jpg

Needless to say subsequent posts of mine anyone who wasn't towing the hate line was downvoted

Whoever that person is, in this case it's possibly Paul Feig, gets their name on a list of people who made reboots or remakes that were on par or better than the original.

Except it's likely not. Are there any reviews here saying it gives the first movie a run for its money? Even the glowing ones fall short of saying its on par or an improvement.

And yeah I really like bridesmaids, spy is funny but kind of loses you at times. That's about it from feig, the guy's just a decent comedy director at best. The IP deserved a better shot at it imo.

And I can't tell if that reddit is just self parody trying to constantly outdo themselves or if they really believe the crap they're saying lol.

Corpekata

Banned

Feels like he kind of pussyfoots around things. He talks about how the whole sexism thing was total bullshit and he just thought it looked awful, and it might be true in his case. But when he gets to talking about the manbabies that have flooded his channel with downvotes for his positive review, he doesn't seem to actually consider that the losers are fulfilling the stereotype he was trying to refute. He even goes so far as to suggest the people brigading his channel are only doing it because the marketing sucked.

Goodstyle

Feels like he kind of pussyfoots around things. He talks about how the whole sexism thing was total bullshit and he just thought it looked awful, and it might be true in his case. But when he gets to talking about the manbabies that have flooded his channel with downvotes for his positive review, he doesn't seem to actually consider that the losers are fulfilling the stereotype he was trying to refute. He even goes so far as to suggest the people brigading his channel are only doing it because the marketing sucked.

He does take a firm stance on those who say people who reviewed the movie and liked it must be paid shills.

NR1

All I know is that I'm pretty much over this whole franchise and fandom. I have unliked all the GB sites on Facebook and try to avoid most discussions on this film. Both side have lost there goddamn minds as far as I am concern. You hate the reboot: your a sexist. You like the reboot; your a feminazi.

I wasn't a fan of the concept from the start because I wanted a sequel rather than a reboot and I am really am not a fan of the Feig/ McCarthy brand of humor. The trailers, leaked script, and reviews pretty much have told me what I need to know to realize this film isn't for me, which is a shame, because I really wanted to enjoy a new Ghostbusters film after nearly 30 years.

What really get me mad is the blanket statements of all haters are sexist. The Uproxx review in particular is so blatantly combative. Seriously, they spent the first 3 PARAGRAPHS dressing down anyone that isn't looking forward to the movie and makes a point of saying their opinion doesn't matter. If you are going to review the film, then review it. Don't get on a soap box and make a soical statement.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's play to dislike or even hate this new film...it's your opinion, go for it.

The viewpoint i always found a bit strange was those that saw GB16 as ruining the franchise as a whole.

I mean...what? I love TMNT but I thought both recent films were terrible, that doesn't mean that's the entire franchise is somehow now worse off because of them.

Platy

This is the mentality I have to deal with on /r/Ghostbusters

gb.jpg

Needless to say subsequent posts of mine anyone who wasn't towing the hate line was downvoted

I will never understand this.

Ghostbusters had shit things before !
Angry Video Game Nerd episode on the NES game is hilarious BECAUSE it is a shit game !
EVEN if they were right about being shit, it is not a perfect franchise of only good things ! You guys survived shitness before =P

...I mean I understand but not on the words they are using to explain it =P

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I will never understand this.

Ghostbusters had shit things before !
Angry Video Game Nerd episode on the NES game is hilarious BECAUSE it is a shit game !
EVEN if they were right about being shit, it is not a perfect franchise of only good things ! You guys survived shitness before =P

...I mean I understand but not on the words they are using to explain it =P

We've had a shit Ghostbusters film for over 25 years now, but folks are acting like its some kind of new thing.

That winking gif does something ridiculous to my nethers.

Going to see this with the soon to be mrs. pokeystaples this weekend. I'm a moderate GB fan. Have the moves, quote the movies from time to time, had a couple toys, watched the cartoon a little, but not near the level of some fans so I should enjoy.
Hey, congrats!

When you look at the directors of these does Paul Feig really belong there to you?

The really solid remakes have been made by extremely talented people. Like the reviews are saying this is being considered aiight at best by many of the reviewers. Certainly not making a case for possibly being better than the original like those you listed were.

I have no problems with going all female but I wish they aimed higher creatively on this.

...Yeah? Feig's made some great comedies.

Is he a high art filmmaker? Nah but Paul Feig is damn good at what he does. Spy was an excellent comedy, The Heat is underrated and Bridesmaids is probably the most human gross out Hangover style comedies ever made

Agree to disagree then. Love bridesmaids. But I found spy to just be decent. Theres like 4 or 5 comedies a year on that level. Heat was pretty crap outside of a few scenes imo.

Kinda disappointed rose byrne didn't find her way in here either. She's been one of the big standouts in his films. I do agree bridesmaids is the most down to earth of these hangover style movies though. But I bet that was wiig's doing. It feels really different from his other 2 comedies imo. And the outlier there is that she cowrote it and he wasn't involved in the writing.

SuperSah

Banned
I have seen the film.

You know what? I fucking enjoyed it. Smiled and laughed from start to end.

Sure, there are improvements to be made regarding acting, the forgettable villian and some odd jokes but overall I really had fun with it.

Film was a good 7.5/8 for me. I was very happy with it.

I'll never understand those who think the Star Wars prequels are better...

Younger people without the kind of attachment to the originals that grew up on the Clone Wars stuff. My stepbrother doesn't necessarily think the prequels are better movies, but they came out as he was growing up and I'm pretty sure he prefers them. The show definitely contributes to that as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5823710/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_1

Apparently the upcoming show is called Ghostbusters: Ecto Force? First I've heard of it, the title I mean. Ivan's producing.

Younger people without the kind of attachment to the originals that grew up on the Clone Wars stuff. My stepbrother doesn't necessarily think the prequels are better movies, but they came out as he was growing up and I'm pretty sure he prefers them. The show definitely contributes to that as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5823710/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_1

Apparently the upcoming show is called Ghostbusters: Ecto Force? First I've heard of it, the title I mean. Ivan's producing.

Going to have little to do with the movie as it takes place in 2050.

Feig created Freaks and Geeks. One of the best shows of all time. So yeah, he's cool.

yeah that's one of my GOAT shows. but i haven't been all that entertained by his movie output so far except for Bridesmaids. will certainly give this a shot but my expectations are fairly low.

it would be dope if after ghostbusters he takes a break from these over the top mccarthy comedies and tries his hand at like a 80s college comedy like everybody wants some instead. freaks and geeks is the most relatable thing he's made and it's his best too.

knkng

Especially funny when many movies people loce are remakes.

Oceana 11
The Thing
The Fly
Scarface

Just to name a few

I don't disagree with your point, there's nothing wrong with remakes, and they can be pretty damn great if handled properly. But I've always taken umbrage with people referring to The Thing and The Fly as "remakes". I mean, they take a kernel of an idea from the originals, but to say that Cronenberg and Carpenter "remade" those movies is kind of outrageous. A fan of The Fly ('86) will get absolutely nothing from watching the original, whereas a fan of Ghostbusters ('16), or something like Carrie ('13) and so on, would most likely still get some value from going back and watching the original versions since there are shared elements between them.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Mrbob

I have seen the film.

Sure, there are improvements to be made regarding acting, the forgettable villian and some odd jokes but overall I really had fun with it.

I love that your review scale goes to 8.

KingV

Makes sense people are calling it a Real Ghostbusters movie, I heard that Feig and McCartney actually fought about that on the set because she was such a huge RGB fan and wanted it to be more like the show. Sounds like she got her way!?

That actually sounds legitimate. I like RGB more than the movies, in all honesty.
The movies are just based on the exploits of the Real Ghostbusters anyway.

I've just started watching extreme, and it's also excellent . That show,as dark as shit. Several episodes would be legit scary if they were not cartoons.

I have seen the film.

But 7.5/8 means it's garbage. C grade ain't nothing to be proud of. Only 9.5 means it's any good. Way to fail on recommending jeez.

The most embarrassing part of that post is that the poster didn't consider for a second the irony of complaining about being invaded and raided, when they've been intentionally trying to sabotage the movie and coming at people who liked it (like they are doing now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom