• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Saw it last night, it's great when it's doing it's own thing, I understand what they mean when there's too many calls to the original, but on the whole it's very entertaining. I hope they make another, there's tons of scope to grow.

Trokil

Banned
The reality is simple, the best way to know if you like this movie is to watch it, separate yourself from the issues surrounding it and base your opinion on the quality of the film.

But isn't that the problem? They don’t allow fans to do that.

Sony took one of the most popular movies of the 80s and made something out of it which is comparable to the new Indiana Jones or Star Trek into Darkness, which actually has 10% more on rotten tomatoes.

As a fan of Star Trek and Indiana Jones I was pretty disappointed by both ( by Star Trek into Darkness, which according to rt is even the better movie, especially) and according to the scores, I can expect the same thing again. So I should watch a movie, which will be ultimately a disappointment for me, which pretty much everybody has to admit, even in the most positive reviews.

And why is the stance of the angry video game nerd so incredible terrible. We had several reboots and sequels they had better or similar scores to the new Ghostbusters, but were all pretty disappointing for the fans. So why should he not be allowed to skip the movie? So he has to watch a reboot of a movie, which he likes a lot, which is not as good as the original just to be able to tell people afterwards, well it was not as good as the original.

Impulsor

And why is the stance of the angry video game nerd so incredible terrible. We had several reboots and sequels they had better or similar scores to the new Ghostbusters, but were all pretty disappointing for the fans. So why should he not be allowed to skip the movie? So he has to watch a reboot of a movie, which he likes a lot, which is not as good as the original just to be able to tell people afterwards, well it was not as good as the original.

He can do whatever he wants, but the reasons , IMO, are stupid. Specially when it looks like he was kinda worng on his assumptions.

The Original can be better, but that doesn't mean that the new one can't be enjoyable.

A sequel/reboot/remake does not have to be AS good as the original to be enjoyable, you can come out of the movie saying: "Well, I enjoyed the originals more, but this was good fun anyway".

That actually sounds legitimate. I like RGB more than the movies, in all honesty.
The movies are just based on the exploits of the Real Ghostbusters anyway.

I've just started watching extreme, and it's also excellent . That show,as dark as shit. Several episodes would be legit scary if they were not cartoons.
Yeah I rewatched EGB the other day and there are some seriously fucked episodes. It takes a few episodes to get past the "look how cool and edgy we are" bullshit but the series is way, way better than I remember it being.

Did I miss something about Lego Dimensions? I thought there were only sets for the original movie.

Season 2 comes out in September and it has sets based off the reboot. They aren't doing Lego Dimensions 2, instead they're adding Story Packs to the mix (or Level, Team, and Fun Packs) and they will 1) cover the entire story of the movie they're based on (we know of GB16, Fantastic Beasts, and Lego Batman Movie currently) and also 2) expand the plot of the main Dimensions game.

The GB16 Dimensions set that's been announced so far is the Story Pack, which includes Melissa McCarthy's character, a micobuild of the new Ecto-1, and a new shell to put over the portal that looks like the Chinese restaurant they use as an HQ.

Monocle

Glad this movie is getting a decently positive critical reception. Mostly because I wanted it to be good, but somewhat because sexist dummies and internet contrarians need to understand that reality doesn't warp to suit their prejudices.

hiredhand

It's the same with every movie listed on IMDb. I haven't used IMDb as a reference for quality in like 10 years or more. It sucks. It's a great site to get movie information though.
No it's not. IMDb still works great basically for anything older than 2000. The newer (and the more popular) the film is, the more useless is the rating. For newer films there are much better resources.

Loving the watch the internet implode on itself when it has been wrong about something <3

People need to learn to be less stubborn in general. It's OK to be wrong.

I thought the trailers looked crass and dumb. I thought the film was going to turn out like most of Sony's other reboots. Looks like I was wrong.

Of course, the other issue is that there's a segment of people who see this as part of some strange gender war (this is true of people on both sides, to be fair). There's simply no hope for them.

People need to learn to be less stubborn in general. It's OK to be wrong.

I thought the trailers looked crass and dumb. I thought the film was going to turn out like most of Sony's other reboots. Looks like I was wrong.

Of course, the other issue is that there's a segment of people who see this as part of some strange gender war (this is true of people on both sides, to be fair). There's simply no hope for them.

The way I'm looking at it is that this is a new take on the franchise. I haven't seen it yet, but the trailers, previews and reviews confirm that the humor is the low-brow, slapstick and bathroom humor type of comedy. If you like that, then you'll enjoy the movie.

I like those comedies as much as the next person, but that's not what I am looking for in a Ghostbusters movie. I think I will be able to appreciate it for what it is but will not like it as a Ghostbusters movie. Its a tactic that cheapens the brand to widen the audience.

Trokil

Banned
A sequel/reboot/remake does not have to be AS good as the original to be enjoyable, you can come out of the movie saying: "Well, I enjoyed the originals more, but this was good fun anyway".

Sorry, but that is just not true. According to the rt scores, Star Trek into Darkness should be very enjoyable. But for me, it missed everything that ever was Star Trek. It is a soulless mindless action flick with nothing in it that was Star Trek.

So, it had 85% on rt, but for me it still was a turd and a very bad movie. It may be enjoyable to some, but just as many me be pretty disappointed, even if it had good scores.

The way I'm looking at it is that this is a new take on the franchise. I haven't seen it yet, but the trailers, previews and reviews confirm that the humor is the low-brow, slapstick and bathroom humor type of comedy. If you like that, then you'll enjoy the movie.

I like those comedies as much as the next person, but that's not what I am looking for in a Ghostbusters movie. I think I will be able to appreciate it for what it is but will not like it as a Ghostbusters movie. Its a tactic that cheapens the brand to widen the audience.

I do agree that the type of humor used in the trailers is a huge turn-off. But I imagine that the people who cut the trailers probably intentionally used those scenes to try to snare a certain (younger?) audience.

I also remember hearing that some of the actresses involved with the production were very unhappy with the way the trailers depicted the film. This leads me to believe that there's a lot more to the film than just the penis, boob, and vomit jokes the trailer shows us and that there's some genuinely funny stuff in there, too.

I plan on taking some kids to see it sometime, so I'll judge it for myself when I watch it. However, the only thing that really matters to me in the end isn't how I personally feel about the film, but how young kids take to it. If this movie succeeds in creating new heroes for kids to look up to in the same way my Ghostbusters did, that's honestly the only thing that's important.

Sorry, but that is just not true. According to the rt scores, Star Trek into Darkness should be very enjoyable. But for me, it missed everything that ever was Star Trek. It is a soulless mindless action flick with nothing in it that was Star Trek.

So, it had 85% on rt, but for me it still was a turd and a very bad movie. It may be enjoyable to some, but just as many me be pretty disappointed, even if it had good scores.

Right but not everyone gives that much of a shit. I'm not a big Trek fan but I thought both of the Abrams films were very good.

For those who have seen it, is McKinnon as good as the trailers have made her look?

Did I miss something about Lego Dimensions? I thought there were only sets for the original movie.
There's a new story pack coming out that follows the plot of this movie. The only character you get is Melissa McCarthy though.

I think James Rolfe is entitled to not watch the movie and that's completely fine, I am not watching the movie in theatres either, I am waiting for Blu Ray or for it to come to cable/netflix so I agree with you.

He most certainly has not deserved the hatred he has received, I think the problem in that regard (the hatred he has received) has been based on people not being able to separate a small number of sexists from people who have genuine fears for the movie based on the quality of the trailers, people who are unable to do that are clearly not interested in discussing the movie anyway so it's probably worth just understanding they are upset (rightly so) with the sexism this movie has received from a subsection of individuals and are simply voicing their opinion on that and unfortunately innocent people have been caught in the middle somewhat.

I agree. I stand by Rolfe's choice to not accept the film. He's clearly a huge Ghostbusters fan on a level that borders on obsession. And there's nothing wrong with that, the films and franchises of his youth are the things that fuels his passion and it's what motivates him to be the creative person he is today. The people who automatically assume his distaste for the film comes from a place of misogyny are in the wrong, IMO.

wetwired

For those who have seen it, is McKinnon as good as the trailers have made her look?

I literally just got home from seeing it, I went in thinking she'd be the stand out but I actually found her a bit annoying to be honest.

There's new reboot sets coming out for dimensions

Trokil

Banned
I don't think we should be putting people into the same category as sexists without proof of such a thing, making assumptions is never going to work out well for anyone.

Well, in a black & white only world, there is no grey area anymore. He does not want to watch it, so he must be a misogynist. It is a very easy world and some people may say, that it is a terrible as the world view of the people on reddit, but again it is the world we are living in now. Either you are for us or against us, no middle ground anymore.

fhqwhgads

I don't blame people for hating it based on the trailers, they're a biiiig make or break deal. I can see why people were skeptical about Finding Dory with it's awful trailers, and on the flip side the trailers for Suicide Squad have really lifted people's spirits for that film.

Well, in a black & white only world, there is no grey area anymore. He does not want to watch it, so he must be a misogynist. It is a very easy world and some people may say, that it is a terrible as the world view of the people on reddit, but again it is the world we are living in now. Either you are for us or against us, no middle ground anymore.
"Internalized sexism" and misoginy are two different things. Are you outraged about all this?

i think rocco's just having fun.

This man's ability to troll is kind of god tier level... if he is trolling at all... which I think he kind of is.

I will definitely be seeing the movie. I am glad to hear that it is not in train wreck territory even though all of the advertising and pre-release material has been a complete disaster up to this point. But I blame the shittiness and ineptitude of Sony Pictures on that.

Trokil

Banned
"Internalized sexism" and misoginy are two different things. Are you outraged about all this?

e500d3ba023842a8f56700c3efe4df3beaea03fe

nah

Hopefully on Friday the discussion will be about the movie instead of all the bullshit surrounding the movie.

I don't need to keep seeing posts from Reddit telling me how much the Ghostbusters community there sucks. I think we get it at this point.

Sounds like you and other people who say this just want to believe that's true. That way you don't have engaged critically in this type of stuff.

cr0w

Old Member
I agree. I stand by Rolfe's choice to not accept the film. He's clearly a huge Ghostbusters fan on a level that borders on obsession. And there's nothing wrong with that, the films and franchises of his youth are the things that fuels his passion and it's what motivates him to be the creative person he is today. The people who automatically assume his distaste for the film comes from a place of misogyny are in the wrong, IMO.

I'll be honest, my reasoning for disliking his video is purely because I'm an old curmudgeon who doesn't get why people feel the need (even if they're asked) to put their every thought on YouTube for mass consumption. I'm exactly his age, and probably more obsessed and fanatical about Ghostbusters than he is, yet the new one doesn't cause me any discomfort.

I honestly felt the same way about the Vacation reboot that he does about Ghostbusters, but I gave it a chance anyway and once I saw the type of humor it was going for, I ended up laughing my ass off quite a bit. The only thing that really held it down, much in the same way call-backs to the original seem to be holding GB2016 down, was the inclusion of Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo toward the end. Sometimes the past needs to be left in the past, and in the case of '70s and '80s comedy actors, that's almost universally true. It would be sad, absolutely sad, to see Murray, Hudson and Aykroyd running around in proton packs without Ramis. Even sadder than watching a bloated shell of Chevy Chase try to do physical comedy almost 40 years past his prime.

But isn't that the problem? They don’t allow fans to do that.

Sony took one of the most popular movies of the 80s and made something out of it which is comparable to the new Indiana Jones or Star Trek into Darkness, which actually has 10% more on rotten tomatoes.

As a fan of Star Trek and Indiana Jones I was pretty disappointed by both ( by Star Trek into Darkness, which according to rt is even the better movie, especially) and according to the scores, I can expect the same thing again. So I should watch a movie, which will be ultimately a disappointment for me, which pretty much everybody has to admit, even in the most positive reviews.

Then why did the AVGN make a big deal about not watching it? He didn't have to, just could have not seen the movie, people would ask him after the movie came out, he'd say not for me or whatever.

I don't bother watching a lot of blockbusters, except for the best ones in a year, but I'm not going to make a big deal to the entire world about skipping a Transformers, TMNT, comic book, or whatever blockbuster film.

Now he's made himself a target and if any at any part in his lifetime he bothers to watch the new Ghostbusters, he'll have gone back on his word.

Lothar

Banned
Then why did the AVGN make a big deal about not watching it? He didn't have to, just could have not seen the movie, people would ask him after the movie came out, he'd say not for me or whatever.

I don't bother watching a lot of blockbusters, except for the best ones in a year, but I'm not going to make a big deal to the entire world about skipping a Transformers, TMNT, comic book, or whatever blockbuster film.

He didn't make a big deal. He made a video. That's what he does. He makes videos. He reviews other movie trailers.

He probably got a lot of money from that video since it had millions of views, making it one of the smartest decisions he's made.

KingBroly

Banned

Now he's made himself a target and if any at any part in his lifetime he bothers to watch the new Ghostbusters, he'll have gone back on his word.

Because he said thought if he didn't review it, people would continue to bug him about it, hence the pre-emptive response to it.

gamz

Views and money.

This way he doesn't have to sit through a bad movie.

(A rt score doesn't convince me. As you pointed out, crystal skull got good reviews.)
So do believe that the reviews aren't being truthful in some way or that you have already convinced yourself that this movie is bad no matter what anyone says?

Because he said thought if he didn't review it, people would continue to bug him about it, hence the pre-emptive response to it.
So? Ignore them just like he does with all other dumb requests that a popular internet celebrity would get. He wasn't getting death threats or something serious that he needed to address those weirdos.

cr0w

Old Member
So? Ignore them just like he does with all other dumb requests that a popular internet celebrity would get. He wasn't getting death threats or something serious that he needed to address those weirdos.

It was an excuse to share his thoughts without coming across as self-important, which backfired. He probably figured he'd get less backlash if he said, "I'm just saying this to address my fans' requests" because he'd look like he was being charitable.

Lothars

It was an excuse to share his thoughts without coming across as self-important, which backfired. He probably figured he'd get less backlash if he said, "I'm just saying this to address my fans' requests" because he'd look like he was being charitable.
The backlash is still undeserved though, it all makes no sense heck like most things with this movie where the whole response is overblown by both sides.

Lothar

Banned
So do believe that the reviews aren't being truthful in some way or that you have already convinced yourself that this movie is bad no matter what anyone says?

They weren't being truthful about Crystal Skull.

Many of those reviewers also had positive things to say about the awful trailers. Many of those reviewers are the same people that made articles calling AVGN a sexist. I don't think those people have any credibility. Like Faraci.

I'd rather wait to see what posters here think. Posters that were away from the controversy.

aBarreras

Many of those reviewers also had positive things to say about the awful trailers. Many of those reviewers are the same people that made articles calling AVGN a sexist. I don't think those people have any credibility. Like Faraci.

I'd rather wait to see what posters here think. Posters that were away from the controversy.

so the people who liked it hasnt any credibility but the people who hates it have? hahaha really?

cr0w

Old Member

There have been quite a few people here that have seen it and have reacted positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom