• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocco from Mega64 did a review.

I will disagree with him on one thing-- I do think the original has its moments in terms of horror. When I was a kid, the opening was hard to sit through, as well as Venkman in her apartment at night when she's possessed.

Is it scary now? Eh, I mean I think those moments are pretty creepy. Love the tracking shot in the library basement through the bookshelves.

sk3

Banned
I don't understand why people are treating this film like some battle line in a gender war. It's a dumb action comedy, who the fuck cares? Schinder's List this ain't.

I didn't think Pixels was that bad, either.

ExVicis

I don't understand why people are treating this film like some battle line in a gender war. It's a dumb action comedy, who the fuck cares? Schinder's List this ain't.

You're right and I don't put it on a pedestal as some sort of symbolic movie for just that reason, but people are real keen to make it a symbolof something and people are happy to oblige and argue with them apparently.

Like I said earlier in the thread I'll probably catch it when I can watch it in a theater that lets me drink an alcoholic beverage or until I can redbox it and sip a few at home and watch it.

I don't understand why people are treating this film like some battle line in a gender war.

It's a domino effect.

You have the original, which is a classic in the eyes of many. Mine as well. We waited so long for Ghostbusters 3 proper, but it just didn't happen due to a plethora of issues, such as getting the right script as well as certain cast members not wanting to return. But mostly, it's one of those revered, sacred things.

And after waiting so long, a new one is finally officially announced... to be directed by Paul Feig and starring women. Now, here's where it gets hairy: some people didn't like the idea of them being new actors, and some didn't like that they're women. On top of that it has no direct relation to that beloved classic revered sacred original, so many fans felt let down and that the lines had been crossed.

This created several groups: some that didn't like the idea at all, some that had no faith in it, some that didn't like it because it's not Ghostbusters 3, and some that were against it because the new Ghostbusters were female. And there's a whole lot of mixing there as well: some people didn't like it for all the above, some didn't like it for only a few reasons. And certainly not everyone didn't like it because they were female.

The problem is that the latter does not apply to everyone, and accusations started to become blown out of proportion as some were under the delusion that everyone cynical toward the film were only being cynical because they don't like that they're female, when really it's because of a number of reasons-- some perfectly valid. It caused a lot of heat and insult-flinging, and it became difficult to express an opinion, any opinion, without being given a label.

This led to that, arguments, insults, mis-accusations. It's not that the movie itself as an entity is worth all the drama, it's that people decided to turn it into such.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So we're dealing with just a thousand really committed trolls going from place to place.

Frankly, I haven't met a single person IRL who's acted as stupid about this movie as these 18-44 aged males. Don't think any person IRL would admit for this hill to die on. It's all just people on the internet.

I think if someone got this worked up in real life they would be mocked into silence before the foam could finish forming around their mouth.

I think if someone got this worked up in real life they would be mocked into silence before the foam could finish forming around their mouth.

I'm attending a dialogue following the film on Thursday for a podcast. I don't know if I'm looking forward to that or not. I'm kind of excited, as I have no idea how I'll feel about the movie (I'm open to it, so I'm sure there's a good chance I'll like it, plus my tag) but it could still go either way. I don't have the vitriol toward it as others do, so maybe that'll factor into my opinion.

I'm just wondering, I guess, how the rest of the crowd will feel as they'll be part of it too.

A negative was just added from Dave Edelstein: http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/review-ghostbusters-never-finds-its-own-way.html?mid=full-rss-vulture

Here's a choice quote:

Entering late is Jones’s Patty Tolan, an MTA employee who trails a ghost into the subway and begs to be part of the collective — and then, at the first sign of another ghost, yells, “I’m outta here! I had a good job at the MTA!” This put me in mind of all the brashly confident and suddenly a-skeered African-Americans who’ve haunted American comedies. Haven’t we evolved beyond that? Jones also handles most of the slapstick, crashing to the ground and piping up, “It’s okay! I’m cool!” She should write a memoir called, Jokes From My Past That Went Thud: Figuratively and Literally.

Up to a 77%...

If I remember correctly, if it hits 80 reviews and is still over 75% that means it gets certified fresh unless it drops below 70%, right?

Man, that would be a fun day.

It's almost assured to be certified fresh at this point. With upwards of 70 reviews already I'm not sure that it's suddenly going to swing super south out of nowhere. Though it absolutely could happen. That would mean that there's just a lot of people who didn't like it that haven't chimed in yet, or have had their reviews accounted for.

btw has anyone called to do the OT yet? I'm not too busy this week :p

Apparently someone on twitter threatened to shoot up a theater on opening day.

Yeah, I was wondering when this shit was going to become a thing.

I hate to admit it, but I've honestly found myself, during movies, looking around and checking the exits and stuff. I hate that, and I don't know that I should feel that way, but it has happened.

User1608

Banned
Again, really glad the reviews turned out well enough. Watched GB2. It's not that bad, and it's still funny if vastly inferior to the first movie. I like it enough as I've said.
Yeah, I was wondering when this shit was going to become a thing.

I hate to admit it, but I've honestly found myself, during movies, looking around and checking the exits and stuff. I hate that, and I don't know that I should feel that way, but it has happened.
Ugh, I've been doing the same the last few years ever since Aurora.:( People suck.

Ugh, I've been doing the same the last few years ever since Aurora.:( People suck.

It hasn't really detracted from my overall experience from any film, but it does bother me that it's like, a thing.

A new positive was added, we're up to 70 reviews now. Don't think the percentage has faltered yet.

Amazed at these reviews. But will they be enough to sell tickets? We shall see.

It's going to make bank, I'd imagine. There's a lot of curiosity and now that there are mostly good reviews, it puts some extra attention on it. What internet wars go down cannot possibly speak for general audiences, who are likely to flock to this fucker.

Hurm. I have no clue what's going on. Is he trolling?

BsmLLLR.png

Now I'm intrigued.

I was one of those (not misogynist, just old fan who felt the movie was going to turn out not very good and ruin the franchise) but after seeing thre reviews I'd changed my mind. Glad that it's getting such good reviews if the movie truly deserves it.

KingV

It's going to make bank, I'd imagine. There's a lot of curiosity and now that there are mostly good reviews, it puts some extra attention on it. What internet wars go down cannot possibly speak for general audiences, who are likely to flock to this fucker.

I suspect the controversy will be good for opening weekend, even the diehard haters will watch it just so they can say they saw it and it sucked.

xandaca

It's a domino effect.

You have the original, which is a classic in the eyes of many. Mine as well. We waited so long for Ghostbusters 3 proper, but it just didn't happen due to a plethora of issues, such as getting the right script as well as certain cast members not wanting to return. But mostly, it's one of those revered, sacred things.

And after waiting so long, a new one is finally officially announced... to be directed by Paul Feig and starring women. Now, here's where it gets hairy: some people didn't like the idea of them being new actors, and some didn't like that they're women. On top of that it has no direct relation to that beloved classic revered sacred original, so many fans felt let down and that the lines had been crossed.

This created several groups: some that didn't like the idea at all, some that had no faith in it, some that didn't like it because it's not Ghostbusters 3, and some that were against it because the new Ghostbusters were female. And there's a whole lot of mixing there as well: some people didn't like it for all the above, some didn't like it for only a few reasons. And certainly not everyone didn't like it because they were female.

The problem is that the latter does not apply to everyone, and accusations started to become blown out of proportion as some were under the delusion that everyone cynical toward the film were only being cynical because they don't like that they're female, when really it's because of a number of reasons-- some perfectly valid. It caused a lot of heat and insult-flinging, and it became difficult to express an opinion, any opinion, without being given a label.

This led to that, arguments, insults, mis-accusations. It's not that the movie itself as an entity is worth all the drama, it's that people decided to turn it into such.

Also worth mentioning that, in the background of all this, a Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast effectively did happen with the videogame.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Reading The Guardian's review made me laugh.

I have never personally seen a review that seemingly tried so hard to gush and/or praise the movie so much.

Well, not that it never had any chance anyways of getting a bad review from The Guardian, but still, quite a funny thing to see.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is true.

Also, Spy is a hilarious film.

Yes, Spy was awesome.

Which is why I figured this movie would at least be decent, you can't go from making Spy to making a pile of shit.

Staf

Love the original Ghostbusters but have zero interest in seeing this. In the same way i really like the original independence day and have zero interest in seeing the new one.

Trokil

Banned
76% on rt and 60% on mc, so does this mean it is about as good (or a little bit worse) than crystal skull? (77% rt and 65% mc)

I will disagree with him on one thing-- I do think the original has its moments in terms of horror. When I was a kid, the opening was hard to sit through, as well as Venkman in her apartment at night when she's possessed.

Is it scary now? Eh, I mean I think those moments are pretty creepy. Love the tracking shot in the library basement through the bookshelves.
Uh I think the video was satire or a joke, so...

Then it's presented terribly.
Rocco Botte hasn't seen the new Ghostbusters. He is trolling. He never goes into any specifics but is able to wing it about his opinion based on all the info out there. He does this quite a bit and is really good at it. The Beatles hate against his dad was the best.

Rocco Botte hasn't seen the new Ghostbusters. He is trolling. He never goes into any specifics but is able to wing it about his opinion based on all the info out there. He does this quite a bit and is really good at it. The Beatles hate against his dad was the best.

Okay so I can gleefully ignore him. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom