• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renpatsu

Played a little of both MGS1 and PW.

1 definitely is going to take some more getting used to.

PW, however, seems excellent. The controls are TIGHT. The cutscenes have styyyyyyyyle. Definitely looking forward to playing more.
If you're digging the style of those cutscenes you could always experience MGS1 through the digital graphic novel which is entirely Ashley Wood art.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like people are really overstating the dan-ness of karmaflow. Expected something way worse and came out thinking what the hell people were on about.

Myggen

I feel like people are really overstating the dan-ness of karmaflow. Expected something way worse and came out thinking what the hell people were on about.

More in the comments than here, I think. But the GB comments will overstate everything like that and react like babies to it, and it's the same people every time. Calling someone a "simpleton" because of the music he likes seems like a bit of an overreaction and is way worse than just saying that music x is bad (never mind that he also likes Wu Tang and other music that isn't 60s and 70s rock). I get that Dan rubs some people the wrong way, look at the Bombcast thread here every week, but try to keep some perspective and not take everything you hear as a personal insult.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh don't get me wrong, I can safely say that I have the opposite of Dan's taste in music seeing that i DESPISE most of 60's 70's rock, but music, more than any medium, is pretty much "that's like, your opinion man". Spend enough time on a music forum and you'll find people you disagree with on everything. I've learnt long ago that trying to say whose music opinion is right or wrong is the dumbest shit ever.

I expected a metro ql situation.

PW starts off well enough. Give it some time, the warts will become more apparent soon enough.

I'm more just struck by how playable it is.

If you're digging the style of those cutscenes you could always experience MGS1 through the digital graphic novel which is entirely Ashley Wood art.

I definitely still want to play through it, it just might take a little effort. I'll certainly check out the digital novel afterwards though. This art is amazing.

Whoa! My mind was just kind of blown. I just realized there is an awesome link between Ground Zeroes and Guns of the Patriots. It's a song called "Here's to You" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here's_to_You_(song)). In Ground Zeroes it's featured in the intro of that game in its original version, while in Guns of the Patriots it was presented with a very solemn rendition that was rerecorded by Harry Gregson-Williams and a vocalist. So, does that mean the Metal Gear series is really meant to be Big Boss' story and not Solid Snake's? It seems very symbolic and shows how intricate the storyline of Metal Gear can be.

Ground Zeroes: https://youtu.be/elMikUGFfqw?t=2m34s
Guns of the Patriots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryT4hrnOHg

I wonder if Dan knows this.

BanGy.nz

Banned
This thread is for cool things that cool people like such as video games, wrestling and Taylor Swift.

hqHJWuu.gif

Whoa! My mind was just kind of blown. I just realized there is an awesome link between Ground Zeroes and Guns of the Patriots. It's a song called "Here's to You" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here's_to_You_(song)). In Ground Zeroes it's featured in the intro of that game in its original version, while in Guns of the Patriots it was presented with a very solemn rendition that was rerecorded by Harry Gregson-Williams and a vocalist. So, does that mean the Metal Gear series is really meant to be Big Boss' story and not Solid Snake's? It seems very symbolic and shows how intricate the storyline of Metal Gear can be.

Ground Zeroes: https://youtu.be/elMikUGFfqw?t=2m34s
Guns of the Patriots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryT4hrnOHg

I wonder if Dan knows this.

I tend to agree with you that the series is essentially "about" Big Boss. I even kind of struggle sometimes to understand why Solid Snake gets so much attention when he's really only seen in his most depicted form for like, a fraction of a game.

But, I found this very insightful comment on reddit ((SPOILERS)) earlier today about how saying that's kind of doing a disservice to the series. This guy seems to think that the games have never been about the overarching story, but the theme to each game, and kojima just kind of twists it as he pleases to fit whatever theme he's trying to depict in each game.

Edit: Be forewarned, HEAVY spoilers in that reddit thread I linked so if you want to avoid MGS spoilers for some reason steer clear.

Jintor

Gene, Meme, Scene, GUNS, PEACE, i forget the actual buzzwords but they were way cooler when they all ended in 'ene'

Myggen

My takeaway from the GBE stream is that they seem to be pretty much up and running now. Some minor problems aside, the stream went really smoothly for being their first test stream.

Zornack

Ugh I don't know what to do about TPP. 2 weeks is such little time to wait for the PC release but I'd have to ignore the entire internet for those 2 weeks in fear of spoilers.

Ugh I don't know what to do about TPP. 2 weeks is such little time to wait for the PC release but I'd have to ignore the entire internet for those 2 weeks in fear of spoilers.

I'm starting to feel the same way. I've been thinking of getting rid of my PS4 for a while since it's basically just a netflix machine at this point. But now that I decided I'll probably play TPP with a controller anyway and I realized that the MGO community will probably be bigger, I might just get it for the PS4.

LiK

finally watching the HOME stream archive. HOME didn't have music or ambient noise at all? it's been so long that i forget.

def sim

I can do it. I can wait two weeks.
b1cool34xka.png

Dropping metal gear spoilers apropos of nothing isn't something I'm expecting from the places I read/post in.

Man, I hope they (Kinda Funny) show up for a UPF soon. Dan was a fantastic guest this week (just as he was last week on Colin and Greg Live). I also hope Jeff guests with them again soon. He was on The GameOverGreggy Show last year. His topic was (shockingly...) wrestling.

Myggen

Man, I hope they (Kinda Funny) show up for a UPF soon. Dan was a fantastic guest this week (just as he was last week on Colin and Greg Live). I also hope Jeff guests with them again soon. He was on The GameOverGreggy Show last year. His topic was (shockingly...) wrestling.

Yeah. I know that Greg Miller can be divisive around these parts, but I'd love him on the Bombcast. He knows everyone at GB, so I think it'll happen sooner or later.

Megasoum

Banned
I know it's kinda the whole point of the game but getting tired of dying every 30 sec here...especially since it takes 45 to reload

Ok I don't actually die every 30 sec but still

Yeah. I know that Greg Miller can be divisive around these parts, but I'd love him on the Bombcast. He knows everyone at GB, so I think it'll happen sooner or later.

I recall him being somewhat well received at last year's E3 after-show. People in the chat were bummed to see him go and then happy when he came back. I can't remember if it was before he left or after he came back, when he drunkenly knock those beer cans down.

Anjin M

I know it's kinda the whole point of the game but getting tired of dying every 30 sec here...especially since it takes 45 to reload

Ok I don't actually die every 30 sec but still
I spent the first hour or two of the game dying over and over. I even threw my controller at one point which I never do. That was the real low point for me. But I regrouped, tried again, and started to improve. I really love the game now, but I had to push through a really rough spot first.

Also, a hint: up until you unlock the doll to start leveling, I didn't see any reason not to blow all of my souls on blood vials, bullets, and molotov cocktails if you run low. You might lose those souls anyway if you don't.

erawsd

I think Greg is great when hes just a dude talking about games and not yelling and trying to out crazy everyone else (exception: PAXamania).

three whole hours of banging out the Terminator "DUH-DUH DUH DUH-DUH" on a desk in honor of Triple H

I was so pissed that the actual entrance itself involving HHH was so lame. An exo that doesn't move, stage hands just handing him skulls, and he just tosses off that amazing robot skull mask head like it's a piece of junk?

Total waste of potential. Shoulda been the six terminators coming out, and then flashes and smoke plumes covering them all up and then a bunch of weird noises and lights and then the smoke clears and it's just HHH holding the skulls like he just murdered six robots before even starting to make his way to the ring.

Ah well.

Hope Elliott has bought a better microphone, last time I heard him Skype in to a podcast it was almost unlistenable.

Fuck, how does anyone even listen to a Skype'd in podcast nowadays? Considering how much good shit is out there the total lack of rhythm between hosts and significant drop in audio quality is instantly noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom