• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

Yup, he's said that he thinks it's kinda unethical, or at least not something he's comfortable with doing anymore.

Anyways, Quick Look: Burnstar

I agree with Jeff in regards to more niche games like Atlus and Swery games which do not sell that many copies so a full playthrough could negatively affect sales to a larger extent especially if it is heavily story driven game. I don't think it should be an issue for something that is almost guaranteed to sell 6+ million copies like a Metal Gear. I would put Bloodborne somewhere in the middle.

Myggen

I agree with Jeff in regards to more niche games like Atlus and Swery games which do not sell that many copies so a full playthrough could negatively affect sales to a larger extent especially if it is heavily story driven game. I don't think it should be an issue for something that is almost guaranteed to sell 6+ million copies like a Metal Gear. I would put Bloodborne somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, I think it's more a principle than anything else. You could also switch that argument and say that playthroughs of niche games will turn more people onto those games like I assume happened with GB's P4 playthrough. But instead of speculating like that I think it's pretty smart to have a general rule about that kind of stuff. 6 months? A year? Something like that across the board.

If it makes you feel better, you didn't miss much. He had issues getting it running.

Fuuuck. I downloaded it from Armaholic and had no issues - there's just something about flying the Pelican around, doing dumb shit in a Warthog - if we're never going to get a true SPARTAN-free milsim HALO then I'm happy to settle for this ARMA thing.

It honestly depends. If we're talking long term, I think it can positively affect sales. Maybe not specifically for that game, but take Atlus's SMT or Etrian Odyssey series. Someone popular doing an LP of that game may not guarantee sales for that game specifically, but can boost sales for the other games in the series. Like if someone sees an LP of SMT4 and likes what they see, they're probably gonna play nocturne after asking around for similar games in the series. And for Atlus, I think Persona is really the only story driven game they've made recently other than stuff like Catherine and Radiant Historia.

For SWERY, if it wasn't for the LPs by people like the Super Best Friends, id have no idea what Deadly Premonition or D4 even was, and I bought an XBone and D4 around the time D4 came out because of how much I enjoyed their Deadly Premonition LP. While I can see how it won't always positively affect sales, I think niche games need LPs more than any other kind of game because sometimes a review or QL isn't always enough.

Patryn

It honestly depends. If we're talking long term, I think it can positively affect sales. Maybe not specifically for that game, but take Atlus's SMT or Etrian Odyssey series. Someone popular doing an LP of that game may not guarantee sales for that game specifically, but can boost sales for the other games in the series. Like if someone sees an LP of SMT4 and likes what they see, they're probably gonna play nocturne after asking around for similar games in the series. And for Atlus, I think Persona is really the only story driven game they've made recently other than stuff like Catherine and Radiant Historia.

For SWERY, if it wasn't for the LPs by people like the Super Best Friends, id have no idea what Deadly Premonition or D4 even was, and I bought an XBone and D4 around the time D4 came out because of how much I enjoyed their Deadly Premonition LP. While I can see how it won't always positively affect sales, I think niche games need LPs more than any other kind of game because sometimes a review or QL isn't always enough.

Were the Super Best Friends even around when Deadly Premonition came out?

Finished watching Unplugged part 3 yesterday. I thought it was an improvement over the first two, and I liked those ones. Things are going MUCH faster than they did in the first two episodes. Hopefully they retain the knowledge in the supposed shorter breaks between installments.

And once they get the rules together, they'll be able to focus more on their characters themselves. It happens to me and my group every time we start a new system. Once we get the hang of it, rules take a backseat and the characters start to shine.

I've been enjoying the D&D streams and I love Dan but I wish he'd stop trying to force the wrestling non-sense in there.

Also, I wish I had friends to play D&D with. Never played it before. If I even suggested the idea of it to my friends they'd probably never talk to me again haha.

Xater

I've been enjoying the D&D streams and I love Dan but I wish he'd stop trying to force the wrestling non-sense in there.

Also, I wish I had friends to play D&D with. Never played it before. If I even suggested the idea of it to my friends they'd probably never talk to me again haha.

Oh yeah he is pushing his gimmick way too hard.

I've DMed a weekly campaign with some friends of mine for almost a year now and would be up to run something over Skype and something like Roll20 if there were any takers.

Is running two campaigns at once a good idea? We'll see.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Watching Vinny play a Souls game is so much fun. They should do a playthrough of the Dark Souls 2 DLC, that would be old enough at this point and is supposed to be pretty good.

Myggen

Is there a way to block certain words on GAF? I want to block "LTTP".

I'm sure there's some browser extension that can help you.

But why do you want to block LTTP?

Yeah, I was just wondering if there was some built-in stuff on GAF, but probably not.

Why? I just don't care about those threads, so would be nice to give more space to other threads.

2R6Ccab.png
mary?

Honestly, I think he's not pushing it hard enough, as in: he's not under kayfabe much, which is wierd for him. That is, unless he's playing a character, and in that case, wish he'd stop.

Myggen

But what's the worst QL of the year? Karmaflow is...something.

Eh, I had no real problem with the Karmaflow video. The game looked really bad (and the few reviews it has pretty much confirms that it is), so I don't mind them just talking about whatever and not caring much about the game.

Worst QL of the year is probably Metro, if that was this year. But then again the reaction to the QL was pretty funny.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks bad, they still fail at it and there's nobody there to contest Dan doing his Dan-talk about music. It's pretty bad!

Also, Metro was september.

Myggen

The game looks bad, they still fail at it and there's nobody there to contest Dan doing his Dan-talk about music. It's pretty bad!

Yeah, I figured it was probably from last fall. And music is the most subjective thing in the world, I can't really get mad at anyone for liking any or dismissing any music.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I get that, it's just a terrible conversation when it ends in "you can only write songs about ladies, fighting and drinking". There needs to be a Jason telling him how stupid that is. Drew is too nice to do it.

Myggen

I get that, it's just a terrible conversation when it ends in "you can only write songs about ladies, fighting and drinking". There needs to be a Jason telling him how stupid that is. Drew is too nice to do it.

Well, since he loves artists like Dylan a statement like that is probably not meant to be taken entirely seriously.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

if Dan talking about music is bad, then anyone talking about music is bad. I think everyone has terrible taste in music though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom