• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

This page doesn’t exist. We’re willing to bet that it’s because you pasted in some dodgy URL that a “friend” of yours sent you. We think that means you should really take stock of your life and the people in it. After all, friends don’t send friends broken links.

okay "friend"

I said it will be up in a short while, steve! It's like this with most GB videos uploaded by their robot.

edit: It's up

So I finished Axiom Verge. I didn't like it.

Axiom Verge's I Can't Believe It's Not Metroid nature invites unflattering comparisons. When put next to the real thing, it comes off looking completely amateurish.

-The art sucks. Tacky, over-designed neon enemies punctuate the world's dull color palette. The player character looks like a jackass. Larger background elements appear to be stolen from infamously terrible 90s adventure game series Dark Seed. Bosses, however, look great, but there aren't very many of them.

-The story sucks. Pseudo-philosophical garbage fails to motivate. The player character acts like a jackass and has some sort of crisis of conscience about something that wastes the player's time with terrible dialogue. The developer didn't need to steal that nonsense from Other M, but he inexplicably did. Obligatory sequence that blurs screen in an attempt to shake-up gameplay is just annoying.

-Game plays fine in the moment but fails at all of the big picture stuff. Too many weapons, many of which quickly become redundant; a handful that the player upgrades, like in Metroid, would have been better. The map fails to indicate whether any given space contains a power-up, necessitating combing the map to find everything, which is a waste of the player's time. The game fails to direct the player in any meaningful way after beating a boss or getting a new ability, necessitating combing the map, which further wastes the player's time. The much-lauded glitch gun functions as a glorified key and fails to offer any exciting changes to the Metroid formula.

To sum it up, the developer copied Metroid, but made it worse in every single way. Save your money and replay Zero Mission or Super Metroid.

-The art sucks. Tacky, over-designed neon enemies punctuate the world's dull color palette. The player character looks like a jackass. Larger background elements appear to be stolen from infamously terrible 90s adventure game series Dark Seed. Bosses, however, look great, but there aren't very many of them.

to be fair, if you were going to jack one thing from Dark Seed, it'd totally be the background art

Brashnir

Axiom Verge's I Can't Believe It's Not Metroid nature invites unflattering comparisons. When put next to the real thing, it comes off looking completely amateurish.

-The story sucks. Pseudo-philosophical garbage fails to motivate. The player character acts like a jackass and has some sort of crisis of conscience about something that wastes the player's time with terrible dialogue. The developer didn't need to steal that nonsense from Other M, but he inexplicably did. Obligatory sequence that blurs screen in an attempt to shake-up gameplay is just annoying.

-Game plays fine in the moment but fails at all of the big picture stuff. Too many weapons, many of which quickly become redundant; a handful that the player upgrades, like in Metroid, would have been better. The map fails to indicate whether any given space contains a power-up, necessitating combing the map to find everything, which is a waste of the player's time. The game fails to direct the player in any meaningful way after beating a boss or getting a new ability, necessitating combing the map, which further wastes the player's time. The much-lauded glitch gun functions as a glorified key and fails to offer any exciting changes to the Metroid formula.

To sum it up, the developer copied Metroid, but made it worse in every single way. Save your money and replay Zero Mission or Super Metroid.

The bolded is the best part of the game; it's a genre largely about exploration. Having a big "go here next" arrow on the screen all the time is the worst part of modern gaming in general, and completely undermines the best element of this genre specifically.

The bolded is the best part of the game; it's a genre largely about exploration. Having a big "go here next" arrow on the screen all the time is the worst part of modern gaming in general, and completely undermines the best element of this genre specifically.

No, it doesn't. Super Metroid puts a white circle on every square that contains a power-up, and it fills in the circle when you find the power-up. It tells you where, saving the player time, but it doesn't tell them how. Is that undermining its own design? Or is it a tacit recognition that there's an ideal place between literally telling the player exactly what to do and expecting them to go through every single room every time they get a new thing? Further, Super Metroid and is progeny aren't about exploration as the be all end all; they're about problem solving and how solving one problem allows the player to solve a different problem. It's like a series of dominoes.

Zornack

Yeah, I love this. Poking around corners and walls, looking at places I've already been differently once I get a new powerup in search of a hidden collectible which would previously have been unreachable. Great stuff.

In previous Metroidvanias I've experienced a lot of "Oh, I can't go here/get that until I get some powerup." There's still a lot of that in Axiom Verge, but I'm also experiencing quite a bit of "oh, now that I have this I'll try it here, here and here and look! I found this thing here that the game does not point out and does not require me to get."

Thank god for Big Bomb Dot Biz because Axiom Verge looked boring as eff in that QL and I didn't buy it because of that. Thanks Brent.

Zero315

Banned
He won't stop bringing his own signs, just the self promoting ones (according to the Powerbombcast). So the AFG and his face sign are retired. I also wouldn't really consider people who bring signs and dress up part of the "shitty wrestling fan" contingent, it's stuff like the chants during the diva match at RAW that makes me fucking embarrassed.

Slightly off topic, but I think people who bring signs are pretty shitty. I paid for floor tickets to a concert last year for one of my favorite bands and almost entirely missed one of my favorite songs because some asshats brought signs. Went to a WWE thing a few years back (Full Throttle, I think it was called. It was a PPV) and missed portions of a match because the people in front of us had signs and held them up a lot.

Slightly off topic, but I think people who bring signs are pretty shitty. I paid for floor tickets to a concert last year for one of my favorite bands and almost entirely missed one of my favorite songs because some asshats brought signs. Went to a WWE thing a few years back (Full Throttle, I think it was called. It was a PPV) and missed portions of a match because the people in front of us had signs and held them up a lot.
signs suck

Can people still do that anymore? I thought signs had to be down during the matches themselves now.

Tucah

you speak so well

I'm generally enjoying the game because I've been itching for a Metroid-esque experience but I can't really disagree with anything in this post.

Myggen

Well, you're not supposed to hold them up for more than a few seconds at a time at WWE events. So if you stick to that and don't hold them up that much, I think it's totally fine. Signs is such a big part of wrestling crowds that I have nothing against them.

I've never heard of signs at concerts though.

edit:

tumblr_nm54ukjBcV1rvo0tro1_500.gif

No, it doesn't. Super Metroid puts a white circle on every square that contains a power-up, and it fills in the circle when you find the power-up. It tells you where, saving the player time, but it doesn't tell them how. Is that undermining its own design? Or is it a tacit recognition that there's an ideal place between literally telling the player exactly what to do and expecting them to go through every single room every time they get a new thing? Further, Super Metroid and is progeny aren't about exploration as the be all end all; they're about problem solving and how solving one problem allows the player to solve a different problem. It's like a series of dominoes.

Fusion and Zero Mission do this, but Super doesn't. Super shows you a dot on the map if there's an item in the room and doesn't change after you pick it up.

How do you feel about Ori and the Blind Forest nckillthegrimace

I don't have an Xbox One and I don't know if it will run on my laptop, so I have no opinion beyond what I can glean from videos. I'm not sure I agree with the assertions that it's best looking 2D game ever, but I need to see more of the game to make that call.

Any more questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom