• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

This whole issue has me conflicted... I kinda hate both sides on that story so I'm not sure I'd be willing to defend either of them.

Nintendo is free to do what they want on Youtube of course, but I think this is another instance of Nintendo not understanding how the internet works. Most if not all of the big Western publushers are moving towards being more open to Youtubers, and I generally trust those more than Nintendo when it comes to this kind of stuff.

The thing that gets me with Nintendo's approach is that they're not just taking a cut, they're also essentially demanding every Youtuber who wants to monetize video of their games to go through them first. They reserve the right to deny every video you submit them for more or less any reason, so that's a huge ethical concern. If they had asked that of the press there would've been a huge outcry, and I hope as many Youtubers as possible stop doing Nintendo content because of it. This part of the program has been largely ignored, I've only seen Jeff and Jim Sterling comment on it as hugely problematic.

Running it on your own server doesn't absolve you of breaching copyright, and seeing that let's plays can be cease and desisted I'm still not entirely sure if giantbomb is altering it enough to protected from copyright claims.

Sure. But then they could just stop doing Nintendo content. Pretty easy. I've just never heard of them doing anything like that outside of Youtube, I think they're happy with going after Youtubers.

Megasoum

Banned
Woohoo Cleric Beast down

Nintendo is free to do what they want on Youtube of course, but I think this is another instance of Nintendo not understanding how the internet works. Most if not all of the big Western publushers are moving towards being more open to Youtubers, and I generally trust those more than Nintendo when it comes to this kind of stuff.

The thing that gets me with Nintendo's approach is that they're not just taking a cut, they're also essentially demanding every Youtuber who wants to monetize video of their games to go through them first. They reserve the right to deny every video you submit them for more or less any reason, so that's a huge ethical concern. If they had asked that of the press there would've been a huge outcry, and I hope as many Youtubers as possible stop doing Nintendo content because of it.

Sure. But then they could just stop doing Nintendo content. Pretty easy.

nintendo's dumb for being out of touch with the internet, and angry joe is dumb for obvious reasons

Exactly my thoughts

nintendo's dumb for being out of touch with the internet, and angry joe is dumb for obvious reasons

Considering how much bank they're raking in manipulating the amiibo nonsense that was just covered in the past couple pages or so I would say they get the Internet pretty darn well.

They just don't feel obligated to buy into this nonsense that just any video using their content for profit is automatically "free advertising."

Myggen

Considering how much bank they're raking in manipulating the amiibo nonsense that was just covered in the past couple pages or so I would say they get the Internet pretty darn well.

They just don't feel obligated to buy into this nonsense that just any video using their content for profit is automatically "free advertising."

Not sure how much that has to do with them understanding the internet, it's supply and demand 101.

it's more of a good will/hearts and minds situation than a clear-cut profit situation

I mean, sure, you're cracking down on stuff that you believe has a negative impact, but then everyone associated with that will be calling you an abject asshole

look at how many people go "oh fuck ubisoft" even though they've been making some decent games

Megasoum

Banned
Not sure how much that has to do with them understanding the internet, it's supply and demand 101.

Yeah they've been doing that crap forever.

Hell, it took what? 1 year? 1.5 year? Before it was possible to easily buy a Wii?

It's just ridiculous but they know that they have such a crazy hardcore fanbase than they can afford to be a dick and they know they'll still sell like crazy.

Myggen

it's more of a good will/hearts and minds situation than a clear-cut profit situation

I mean, sure, you're cracking down on stuff that you believe has a negative impact, but then everyone associated with that will be calling you an abject asshole

Yeah, and Nintendo are literally the only ones being as draconian as they're being, which leads me to believe that they're out of touch with reality. But as I said I think the most problematic thing with Nintendo's approach is the whole submitting your videos for approval thing.

Hell, it took what? 1 year? 1.5 year? Before it was possible to easily buy a Wii?

It's just ridiculous but they know that they have such a crazy hardcore fanbase than they can afford to be a dick and they know they'll still sell like crazy.

Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes further back with Nintendo, but the Wii is probably the best example.

From the article posted earlier they clearly talk about opening specific retailer webpages to sit around and try and pre-order specific amiibos. No matter how many DMCA's or whatever Nintendo gives out to Youtubers this doesn't change a thing about the cash cow they're raking in right now - it's the Youtubers with the heads up their asses thinking they're the end-all be-all of Nintendo's future that don't get the Internet. Nintendo understands the vast, vast fucking majority of them, including yes, even "Angry Joe," are fucking irrelevant to their bottom line.

And if Nintendo doesn't want some dirtbag like Angry Joe making money off of Nintendo developed content? They don't have to tolerate it. "Getting" the Internet isn't just some blanket term for letting randos do whatever they want with your IP for profit, regardless of what the hivemind cries out.

look at how many people go "oh fuck ubisoft" even though they've been making some decent games

Huge difference between shitty DRM fucking over legitimate customers and saying "no, we're not letting just anyone make money off our IP without our approval." Until a single soul can prove what Nintendo's doing is affecting their bottom line, which it clearly isn't, they still "get" the Internet. Sorry.

oh god it took me months to find one

wasn't worth it

FStop7

Banned
Oh god an Angry Joe thread meets a Nintendo does something stupid because what is internet and Nintendo fans defend said stupidity thread? I wasn't prepared for this sort of entertainment today.

Angry Joe said:
Meanwhile you laugh while we step over each other to buy your stupid fucking plastic toys like they are Ultra-beeniebabies.

I think I love him.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah... I think Bloodborne finally "clicked" for me.

The only other souls game I played before was Dark 1 (played probably 75% of it or so).

The sense of exploration and leveling up is really unique with those games. You feel so fucking powerfull once you start upgrading your weapons and putting a couple of points in your stats.

For as much as we were talking about filtering out most of GAF earlier I gotta say that HolyBaikal thread just redeemed my whole night.

Also my Bloodborne copy is literally IN MY TOWN and the delivery estimate is still Tuesday afternoon.

Megasoum

Banned
For as much as we were talking about filtering out most of GAF earlier I gotta say that HolyBaikal thread just redeemed my whole night.

Also my Bloodborne copy is literally IN MY TOWN and the delivery estimate is still Tuesday afternoon.

Heh holidays sucks when you order something online.

It's funny, it's almost a running gag for me. I ALWAYS end up ordering something right before a holiday.

I did it again last week (I bought a new rim for my Thrustmaster Wheel) but at least the rim doesn't actually come out until tuesday so I'm not actually loosing time over the holidays.

Tucah

you speak so well
Now that I've seen F&F7 and got out of the F&F marathon haze of the past day or so, I can finally catch up on the variety of GB content I've missed over the past few days

Yeah... I think Bloodborne finally "clicked" for me.

The only other souls game I played before was Dark 1 (played probably 75% of it or so).

The sense of exploration and leveling up is really unique with those games. You feel so fucking powerfull once you start upgrading your weapons and putting a couple of points in your stats.

Yeah, it's the best. I know a lot of people feel like the best way to play is low-level stuff where you have a small amount of HP and don't do that much damage, so you're constantly in danger of being one-shotted and have to perform perfectly for an extended period to not die to anything a boss does, but I just like being powerful as fuck and taking off huge chunks of health really quickly

I platinum'd the game today and I don't even know what to do with myself. Could play Axiom Verge or Ori.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, it's the best. I know a lot of people feel like the best way to play is low-level stuff where you have a small amount of HP and don't do that much damage, so you're constantly in danger of being one-shotted and have to perform perfectly for an extended period to not die to anything a boss does, but I just like being powerful as fuck and taking off huge chunks of health really quickly

I platinum'd the game today and I don't even know what to do with myself. Could play Axiom Verge or Ori.

I just did a fucking amazing run (by far my best so far) and got 6k souls back to the doll. Quite happy with myself right now.

For the last 4h or so I've been telling myself that I should go play Axiom but I just can't stop playing Bloodborne lol.

1. I just watched Fast Five. What a great film. Best FnF movie I've seen so far in my marathon. Honestly glad they moved away from the street racing BS. I really dig the ensemble cast all coming together from the first 4 movies.

2. I don't get the hate for Angry Joe. Sure he acts like a bit of a doofus some but his reviews are legit informative and interesting.

3. I preordered my first Amiibo last thurday: A Ness one. The 15 minute battle on EBgames' website was worth it.

4. Wrestling is still dumb.

5. Yoshi is life.

If you think a Let's Play video is fair use, then I have some bad news. It's a violation of the display right under 17 USC 106 (5). This will never be litigated, though, because this gray area seems to be working for pretty much everyone, so any application of copyright law beyond YouTube's extralegal content ID system is completely irrelevant to these discussions. A video review, however, is clearly fair use, and if Nintendo is going after actual reviews, then they need to knock that shit off before someone gets wise, calls the content ID bluff, gets Nintendo to file an actual DMCA takedown notice, challenges the notice, and they end up in court.

Now, let's talk about anime.

DMCA is so heavily weighted in favor of the complainant that your average joe youtuber isn't going to mount a legal defense, even if it was a clear-cut case of fair use.

with a content provider like youtube who axes videos first and asks questions -never-, fuck what laws you think you have in your favor unless you're willing to go to court over your silly video game videos

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He should stream it out.

edit: though really, when you think about it, sony and microsoft are giving people easy access to game streaming while nintendo is hellbent on stopping coverage of their games.

DMCA is so heavily weighted in favor of the complainant that your average joe youtuber isn't going to mount a legal defense, even if it was a clear-cut case of fair use.

with a content provider like youtube who axes videos first and asks questions -never-, fuck what laws you think you have in your favor unless you're willing to go to court over your silly video game videos

The DMCA has some interesting parts that have been interpreted such that sites like YouTube are pretty much immune to secondary liability for users' infringement, so I have no idea why they use the Content ID system. It's legally unnecessary and incredibly imprecise. It just pisses people off.

it's because it would require manually vetting/sending notices to their users and no sane person would staff enough people to do that on a site the size of youtube, especially when your users haven't provided enough personal information to serve legal notices to

they're losing nothing by just shutting videos down proactively, and they have no reason to care. youtube is not anybody's friend, and they don't care about 99.999% of their users on an individual basis

erawsd

Running it on your own server doesn't absolve you of breaching copyright, and seeing that let's plays can be cease and desisted I'm still not entirely sure if giantbomb is altering it enough to protected from copyright claims.

It doesnt absolve you of breaching copyright but it does mean that Nintendo would have to "Lawyer up" and take on CBS Interactive to prove that Giantbombs use is not sufficiently transformative, which would be a landmark case. Its easy for Nintendo to bully the LPers because Youtube applies their "copyright" terms to all forms of content in the same manner since its all handled by robots. The actual law does not work that way.

Finally started MGScanlon 2 while playing some Advanced Wars in the background for the first time.

HOLY FUCK I FORGOT HOW GOOD THE MGS2 TRAILERS WERE. GOD DAMN AND THAT MAIN THEME.

it's because it would require manually vetting/sending notices to their users and no sane person would staff enough people to do that on a site the size of youtube, especially when your users haven't provided enough personal information to serve legal notices to

they're losing nothing by just shutting videos down proactively, and they have no reason to care. youtube is not anybody's friend, and they don't care about 99.999% of their users on an individual basis

The DMCA has no vetting requirement for websites like YouTube. The onus is on the copyright holder to find infringing content and report it to YouTube to get something removed. And the report has to be very specific, as in here's the URL. YouTube is only liable if they ignore a specific takedown request.

Just think about how prolific anime piracy was on YouTube before the introduction of Content ID. Stuff like Haruhi blew up because of those enforcement holes. Even if one video got taken down, someone else would just upload a new one. And YouTube was in the clear the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom