• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want you all to keep something in mind.

Jeff played a lot of Destiny after the QL/Review as well.

please enjoy his observations on why bloodborne is most disappointing game of the year

Absolutely one of the best parts of the GOTY discussions last year. He nailed the problem right on the head.

Jeff will come to the Bombcast with more reasons for why he dislikes BB. Trust me.

or or or

he will have fallen in love with it.

"You know, I hate the souls games. They're slow, you spend too much time hiding behind a shield, and small mistakes end up getting you killed."
"Yeah, sounds like a Souls game."
"But-I played it over the weekend, and Bloodborne is pretty fun."
"Fuuuuck yeah it is."
"It's faster, more fluid, I can see why people like it alot. I think I get it."

Renpatsu

or or or

he will have fallen in love with it.

"You know, I hate the souls games. They're slow, you spend too much time hiding behind a shield, and small mistakes end up getting you killed."
"Yeah, sounds like a Souls game."
"But-I played it over the weekend, and Bloodborne is pretty fun."
"Fuuuuck yeah it is."
"It's faster, more fluid, I can see why people like it alot. I think I get it."
Your Giant Bomb fanfiction is showing.

erawsd

The Souls games are only slightly above average in difficulty (with a few spikes), but since I said that people will call me an elitist :/

I don't think so. I think a lot of people are starting to come to terms with the fact that a lot of the difficulty comes from just understanding them, so your first souls game is probably going to be the most difficult one.

He hates Sony exclusives the most. Driveclub? More like Poopclub.

Majoras mask still sucks

On the real

I don't know how I am going to play other games after bb

Its not hyperbole but I tried to play axiom verge last night and couldn't stop thinking of bb

Might need to take a gaming break until mkx comes out

Myggen

Majoras mask still sucks

Now you're just being silly!

But yeah, it'll be interesting to hear his thoughts on the game because I'm with Brad in thinking that the flow of the game is similar enough to the Souls games that I doubt BB will convert someone who disliked the Souls games. But you never know.

No_Style

The Souls games are only slightly above average in difficulty (with a few spikes), but since I said that people will call me an elitist :/

I'm with you. I'm also of the mindset that the game would be a lot easier if it was running at 60FPS and consistent with its own rules (ie: shit doesn't randomly go through walls).

I really should try Dark Souls on PC but I read the game wasn't made with that framerate in mind and there are glitches.

Haunted

I'm with you. I'm also of the mindset that the game would be a lot easier if it was running at 60FPS and consistent with its own rules (ie: shit doesn't randomly go through walls).

I really should try Dark Souls on PC but I read the game wasn't made with that framerate in mind and there are glitches.
Nah, it's fine to play with the 60fps fix. Honestly wouldn't want to play it any other way at this point.

I think there were like 2 ladders that could kill you if you performed a certain move while climbing them with the 60fps fix, but afaik that has been fixed as well.

demidar

I don't think so. I think a lot of people are starting to come to terms with the fact that a lot of the difficulty comes from just understanding them, so your first souls game is probably going to be the most difficult one.

Yes, there's a huge burden of knowledge on the player which is why they're punishing. Once you experiment a bit and find the trick, know the layout, have foreknowledge of traps and understand the boss' tells you can usually breeze through even the hardest encounters.

I quit Demon's Souls because I found it a bit too hard (the long load times didn't help either), but after I beat Dark Souls I went back and pretty much pummeled DeS into the ground.

Nah, it's fine to play with the 60fps fix. Honestly wouldn't want to play it any other way at this point.

I think there were like 2 ladders that could kill you if you performed a certain move while climbing them with the 60fps fix, but afaik that has been fixed as well.

Does it still have the double durability loss bug?

Watching Jeff play BB... I think i'd feel the same way about it I felt about DeS, and DaS1&2, indifferent. I nearly beat Dark Souls 1 and 2 and got halfway through Demon's Souls. I found them decently fun but I never felt the massive love that people seem to have for From's games. Unfortunate since people get really hyped about them. I'm more of a Dragon's Dogma person.

Hey GAF I'm getting married today

Congrats!

Curufinwe

I think what impressed people was his base skills at the game, and guidance doesn't help you much there.

Jeff was a big fan of and good at MGRR, so I'm not surprised he could jump into BB and start wailing on fools.

But to solo a boss like Rom you need a lot of a patience as well as decent twitch skills so I wouldn't get too carried away with how he looked in the early part of the game.

demidar

Jeff was a big fan of and good at MGRR, so I'm not surprised he could jump into BB and start wailing on fools.

But to solo a boss like Rom you need a lot of a patience as well as decent twitch skills so I wouldn't get too carried away with how he looked in the early part of the game.

How much of that could you attribute to the Metal Gear-ness of it and the fucking crazy final boss?

I looked to see if GB had any other PS Home coverage, the only other video was a trailer for Assassin's Creed content being added to Home, posted by Brad on March 25, 2010, five years ago. The first comment was "Home is still going?" lol

Myggen

I looked to see if GB had any other PS Home coverage, the only other video was a trailer for Assassin's Creed content being added to Home, posted by Brad on March 25, 2010, five years ago. The first comment was "Home is still going?" lol

That it never technically got out of beta is hilarious to me.

That it never technically got out of beta is hilarious to me.

During the stream I thought the concept of Playstation Home was kinda interesting. Being able to go to all these environments recreated from games and movies could be cool, and having activities tailored to those themes. It was also kinda awesome as a weird time capsule seeing all these environments they created to market old games and then just never went away after those games faded into irrelevance. Home could be cool with something like Morpheus and letting you walk around in these themed environments. I'm just not sure how they'd make there be enough there to encourage people to come back. Having it be the home menu for a future console built purely around VR where you launch everything from your Home could be weird and kinda awesome

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There was a time where Home was going to be the reason why I would get a PS3 over a 360. Like the stuff they talked about before it came out would make Molyneux blush.

Myggen

During the stream I thought the concept of Playstation Home was kinda interesting. Being able to go to all these environments recreated from games and movies could be cool, and having activities tailored to those themes. It was also kinda awesome as a weird time capsule seeing all these environments they created to market old games and then just never went away after those games faded into irrelevance. Home could be cool with something like Morpheus and letting you walk around in these themed environments. I'm just not sure how they'd make there be enough there to encourage people to come back. Having it be the home menu for a future console built purely around VR where you launch everything from your Home could be weird and kinda awesome

Home had a lot of hype behind it when released IIRC, so people were excited about the possibilities. That might be partly because it released at an especially dire time for the PS3, but I remember people being excited for it. And yeah, I can totally see them releasing something like Home for the Morpheus. It would be strange to not have some sort of virtual hub for your VR thing, especially when you're Sony.

No_Style

So any more funny rants from Jeff I should listen to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-TIrS7ukyk

Not the best rants but still solid!

Jeff shares his feelings on Yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJx8DBMxWE

Jeff shares his feelings on Yoshi's Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzy-sAAizE

This is a little long but guess what? Jeff still hates Yoshi's Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyn5dq2HDRo

Jeff drops bombs all over Halo: MCC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZNPFieAmM

I stil find it incredible that home brought a lot of profit into the playstation brand

I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again on ps4 since it is selling like hot cakes.

There is no durability bug, it's in 4 out of 6 versions at this point and is clearly intended. Weapons don't degrade that fast unless you hack at walls constantly but even if you do there are bonfires everywhere that instantly repair your items if you somehow don't have powder on you. Really is a case of "get good"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well it's not like they paid any programmers to fix the tech issues. Selling e-clothes has to be insanely profitable.

No_Style

There is no durability bug, it's in 4 out of 6 versions at this point and is clearly intended. Weapons don't degrade that fast unless you hack at walls constantly but even if you do there are bonfires everywhere that instantly repair your items if you somehow don't have powder on you. Really is a case of "get good"

Haha. I can't help but equate this to saying Greedo shot first because it's now in more releases.

I looked it up and it sounds like it's more of an annoyance than a game breaker. And with From Software's track record for technical proficiency, I can't help but think they just couldn't fix it because it's how the engine was created.

It's just not a factor. I'm level 75 with 10 hours in the PC version and I've broken 0 weapons. As a katana user!

There's no evidence that it's not how they wanted it to be, and given they added an extra weapon slot compared to the other games if anything it should be much harsher. People seem to forget Dark Souls 2 ran with an unlocked framerate on old consoles in the first place.

Edit: As for the greedo comparison it's a game mechanic, not a clear edit for tone. There is far more evidence that they intended for durability to be harsher than not.

Megasoum

Banned
So I just jumped into Axiom Verge for the first time in like 4-5 days and now I have no fucking idea what to do... Ugh

Edit: OMG Just got the
High Jump thingy
... Back on board!

I like listening to Dan's commentary but man his absolute refusal to parry or use transformation or charge attacks...he's just making the game so much harder for himself lol.

I would still watch more of his streams though

DS2 is probably the most disappointing game for me in years. Its a good game when compared to 99% of other games on the market but the worst game in the souls series for sure.

Liamc723

I like listening to Dan's commentary but man his absolute refusal to parry or use transformation or charge attacks...he's just making the game so much harder for himself lol.

I would still watch more of his streams though

Is he just using the standard R1 attack? Man, that is so limiting.

Zornack

It's just not a factor. I'm level 75 with 10 hours in the PC version and I've broken 0 weapons. As a katana user!

There's no evidence that it's not how they wanted it to be, and given they added an extra weapon slot compared to the other games if anything it should be much harsher. People seem to forget Dark Souls 2 ran with an unlocked framerate on old consoles in the first place.

Edit: As for the greedo comparison it's a game mechanic, not a clear edit for tone. There is far more evidence that they intended for durability to be harsher than not.

Yeah, I don't understand the durability complaints. My weapon sometimes broke... so I always had a backup weapon and used repair powder when necessary. In my two playthroughs it was never a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom