• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if you haven't played, avoid the thread. Spoilers abound.

he should know in advance that the Mako sucks and not to bother with the side missions in ME1, that ME2 is the best game in the series though they basically stripped almost all of the RPG out of it, and that ME3 is actually a terrific game except for maybe that the entire premise of the plot is dumb as fuck and that the last hour or so is pretty much turd. Oh, and that the MP in ME3 is sickkkkkkkk.

I still never played with the DLC character from ME3 and never played any of the DLC for the game as I kinda found what they did with the DLC character to be repulsive so maybe I'll give it another go when they release the ultimate edition someday.

Patryn

he should know in advance that the Mako sucks and not to bother with the side missions in ME1, that ME2 is the best game in the series though they basically stripped almost all of the RPG out of it, and that ME3 is actually a terrific game except for maybe that the entire premise of the plot is dumb as fuck and that the last hour or so is pretty much turd. Oh, and that the MP in ME3 is sickkkkkkkk.

I still never played with the DLC character from ME3 and never played any of the DLC for the game as I kinda found what they did with the DLC character to be repulsive so maybe I'll give it another go when they release the ultimate edition someday.

Wow.

I disagree with pretty much everything in the bold except the ME3 stuff. Although "terrific" is maybe a little strong... but I'll let it stand.

I'll avoid going into details, as the thread I linked has plenty of posts with my opinions on the series. If people really want more, ask me there and I'll happily expound on them.

Yeah the DLC character stuff was kind of gross by default but the fact that the character is pretty important to the Mass effect series makes it even worse. He was a good character though, definitely up there with Wrex and Mordin.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mass Effect 3 wasn't worse than ME2, story included. Both were mediocre games with awful voids where the story was meant to be.

Patryn

Oh, and if you have any affection for Mass Effect, you owe it to yourself to play Citadel.

I consider it the best piece of DLC in the entire series, and possibly the best piece of content period.

Just realize that it's slightly tongue in cheek and is more a celebration of Mass Effect than anything that has to do with ME3.

The Mako owns and ME1 has good side quests, ME3 is a mediocre game with an awful start, a mediocre middle with two great sections, and a terrible final three or so levels.

ME certainly wasn't for me after the couple tries I gave it. Finished 1 and didn't like it and gave up on 2 before the last mission. Other than the graphics, nothing seemed that great to me.

KingKong

It was really frustrating that Bioware decided to solve the problems with ME1 by simply removing the mako exploration, downplayig the rpg elements and adding more romance options

Mass Effect 3 just feels weird and rushed in general. They try to set the galaxy up as being on the verge of imminent collapse to excuse the lack of real side quests but then you can still get fetch quests by lurking behind random people on the citadel for 2 minutes without ever talking to them.

I don't think it's a bad game, there are some really great moments, but it feels like a hollow shell that was released a year
s
early.

The Mako owns and ME1 has good side quests, ME3 is a mediocre game with an awful start, a mediocre middle with two great sections, and a terrible final three or so levels.

I went into ME3 expecting the worst possible outcome given how the internet ripped it to shreds so perhaps my expectations were tempered a bit. It still felt like Mass Effect 2.5 but i found myself really enjoying the campaign in spite of itself. And again, the MP for the game was really well made and enjoyable. Perhaps terrific was a strong word but it's definitely not a piece of crap like some make it out to be.

Mass Effect 3 just feels weird and rushed in general. They try to set the galaxy up as being on the verge of imminent collapse to excuse the lack of real side quests but then you can still get fetch quests by lurking behind random people on the citadel for 2 minutes without ever talking to them.

yeah, i was trying to avoid the specifics of the plot but youre describing exactly why i think the entire plot is based on a the stupid premise in the first place. Also, they pretty much reused the galaxy map but somehow made it feel much cheaper in ME3. Just seems like they didn't have enough time even with the big delay the game had.

I found ME1 to actually be a bore so i only did one or two side missions before i felt like my time was being wasted.

Oh, and if you have any affection for Mass Effect, you owe it to yourself to play Citadel.

I consider it the best piece of DLC in the entire series, and possibly the best piece of content period.

Just realize that it's slightly tongue in cheek and is more a celebration of Mass Effect than anything that has to do with ME3.

You actually just reminded me that I still need to buy this and the omega dlc, I doubt that I'll bother with the omega dlc though.

I had a real problem with the way Mass Effect 1's ending
suddenly turned me into a space racist without my consent by filling the entire council with humans just because I decided the citadel was more important than saving the old council.

There's a really good HD remaster mod for Mass Effect 1 I'm using currently: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mass-effect-1-new-texture-updatesimprovements-mod

And Mass Effect 2 is the best in the series. Sorry if you thought otherwise - not that it isn't without its issues, and its loyalty missions with their daddy issues fixed by Shephard's magical space dick certainly set up the bullshit that is everything Bioware's made in the aftermath of it, it's the best space themed adaptation of The Dirty Dozen ever made.

Part of how ME3's war scenario screwed it over was in the missions.

ME2, a glorified set of side missions set around a main story that's practically a side mission to the main plot of the trilogy, had a lot of variety in the setting and ideas of its missions.

Name a single base ME3 mission that isn't about Cerberus attacking a base or Reapers and husks attacking a rubble strewn planet. Congratulations, you've remembered all two of them.

Aerocrane

Where my ME2 people at.

Sarah Walker and President Bartlet in space crew.

The GOAT Effect.

It's a bad third-person shooter with a few good characters and boring story. I like that they detailed the characters with the loyalty missions, but that shouldn't make up as large of a portion of the story as it did.

Part of how ME3's war scenario screwed it over was in the missions.

ME2, a glorified set of side missions set around a main story that's practically a side mission to the main plot of the trilogy, had a lot of variety in the setting and ideas of its missions.

Name a single base ME3 mission that isn't about Cerberus attacking a base or Reapers and husks attacking a rubble strewn planet. Congratulations, you've remembered all two of them.

Are you sure that there are even any missions that don't fall under a Cerberus base attack or a Reaper planet attack? I'm struggling to think of any.

It's a bad third-person shooter with a few good characters and boring story. I like that they detailed the characters with the loyalty missions, but that shouldn't make up as large of a portion of the story as it did.

You people are ridiculous. It's very clearly a main part of the game's entire setup - there's these Collectors, they're fucking up humanity, and to stop them you have to go way beyond the red line into uncharted space and you can't do it without assembling a squad of the best and the brightest and the most dangerous - and you need to form them into a cohesive unit that can get behind you as a leader. It's The Dirty Dozen, essentially, and building the bonds of that team is a core part of the plot.

What really makes ME3 so heartbreaking is how all over the fucking map it is, as far as a creative vision is concerned - and nothing makes it more obvious than the launch trailers. ME1 straight up opens with "WE FACE EXTINCTION," and cranks it all the way up to 100. The villain's just fantastic from the get-go, and ugh, god Saren was so good. ME2 manages to go forth and one-up that entire trailer, and then ME3's is just this... bloated fucking mess that's all over the map.

kvk1

I thought the loyalty missions design thing was genius to be honest. It made the player work for that build up of camaraderie among the squad before the big finale.

Not to mention, it had a direct effect as to how you would fare in that finale once the curtains closed. Unlike some other games. Ahem.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The loyalty missions could have been great if there was more than exactly one decently written character in the entirety of ME2.

Suicide mission was great design. Shame about everything that was wrapped around it though.

tesqui

For Metal Gear Scanlon does anyone else stop watching during the boss fights and just treat the video like a podcast? It's hard for me to watch the repetitive deaths.

The main plot of ME2 is to save a bunch of libertarian space farmers who are so insignificant that even the most ardently pro-human government the player could have possibly formed in ME1 doesn't even give a shit about them

The main plot of ME2 is to save a bunch of libertarian space farmers who are so insignificant that even the most ardently pro-human government the player could have possibly formed in ME1 doesn't even give a shit about them

It's structured like a Dragon Quest game with a bunch of tiny vignettes feeding into an overarching plot, which would be great if Bioware had better (much better) writers who could come up with more compelling goals.

Patryn

It's structured like a Dragon Quest game with a bunch of tiny vignettes feeding into an overarching plot, which would be great if Bioware had better (much better) writers who could come up with more compelling goals.

Or if it wasn't the middle chapter of a trilogy that it does nothing to move forward.

- J - D -

It's funny that the final scene of ME2 makes the prior threat posed by the Collectors appear infinitesimally small
(one baby reaper? lol)
relative to the onslaught that was to come.

Haunted

The "ME2 is a sidequest with sidequests" analogy is really apt.

ME1 is the best in the series, the Mako and actual planet exploration were the best things they cut, it's all been downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom