• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You know what the worst part about ME2 was?

ME2 Shepard didn't even bother doing the sidequests in the first game. Siding with proven terrorists who had kidnapped military to perform experiments on? Sure, sounds like a good plan! I'm only here because they performed one giant crazy fucking scientific experiment on me so that they could control me, what's the worst that could happen?

Wait, the terrorists were the bad guys the whole time? What a twist!

Shepard starting in ME2 was a space moron and a giant space dick no matter how you tried to play it.

They should really do a podcast with the crew discussing the Fast and Furious franchise. Pull in a newbie watching for the first time and grab Jeff and Alex.

This is brought up because I accidently read Danny's tweet as them getting ready to discuss fast cars and then I realized it was alt+f1 and was bummed.

Patryn

They should really do a podcast with the crew discussing the Fast and Furious franchise. Pull in a newbie watching for the first time and grab Jeff and Alex.

This is brought up because I accidently read Danny's tweet as them getting ready to discuss fast cars and then I realized it was alt+f1 and was bummed.

More like we need another Bomb After Reading.

Just have Vinny and Alex watch the films and do a commentary for each of them, or just jump straight to 5 since that's apparently when it becomes crazy.

I need to try and watch Fast 5 today.

bigkrev

ME1 is not fun to play. It also was glitchy as hell on 360 in my experience (I had to reload my save while fighting
Matriarch Benezia
half a dozen times because I would constantly be sucked into boxes, floors, or steps with no way to escape). ME2 was my favorite, because the character loyalty missions all felt like episodes of Star Trek (ie, a Worf episode, a Data episode, ect), and ME3 had the problem of being a terrible conclusion to the story.

Pretty sure the best way to experience ME1 is the interactive comic they included in PS3 ME2 that lets you pick the all the important story choices from ME1 and import them into ME2

Giant Bombcast - Dan's Egg Whites

2664349-dan+ryckert+food+comics+001.jpg

FStop7

Banned
ME1 is fun to play once you're reasonably leveled up and suddenly you become a biotic wrecking ball. Singularity, Lift, and Push become broken to the point of hilarity.

Alucrid

Banned

ME2 Shepard didn't even bother doing the sidequests in the first game. Siding with proven terrorists who had kidnapped military to perform experiments on? Sure, sounds like a good plan! I'm only here because they performed one giant crazy fucking scientific experiment on me so that they could control me, what's the worst that could happen?

Shepard starting in ME2 was a space moron and a giant space dick no matter how you tried to play it.

to be fair he was also a piece of burnt steak at the start of the game

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
to be fair he was also a piece of burnt steak at the start of the game

Literally all I want for the story to not piss me off from ten minutes in is a paragon option where Martin Sheen threatens me if I don't play along. The story is cliche as hell anyway, it's easy to get out of opening your game with an obscenely large plot hole. I didn't force them to make a series full of choices, if they can't be bothered to make those choices make sense then don't keep putting them in the games. Mass Effect was the only time the series ever had any sort of ambition, I think that's the heart of why so many people prefer it. Everything that was hard was just dropped in the sequel, in favor of looking pretty and betting shooting guns.

Rapstah

I had more weird glitches where I fell out of the map or got stuck behind stuff in ME2 than in ME1. None of them in ME3, but that game was really linear.

Really looking forward to Jeff's opinion on Bloodborne after beating two bosses. I was hoping he had played more and saw that he's been playing Mortal Kombat X over the last few hours.

Patryn

I honestly think those of you expecting Jeff to have had a Road to Damascus moment when it comes to Bloodborne are going to be sorely mistaken.

I'm guessing his opinion will be something like "Yep, that's a souls game. Nope, still don't like them."

Then again, he may surprise me.

klonere

Banned

the worst part about ME2 is that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS IN IT

sure shepard """""""""dies""""""""" for a cheap marketing campaign hook, you spend the rest of the game working for the aforementioned terrorists, gathering a rag tag gang of duders to go and- oh the games over. the terminator reaper had no effect and it was never effectively sold why it was so incredibly dangerous. the harbinger was a joke. the side stories were solid but ultimately did not play into the overall plot.

so ME3 has the unenviable position of telling 2.5 games story in one game alongside bioware being unable to do shades of grey and turned Cerberus into SUPER BAD GUYS that yes, you did end up totally playing into the hands of with no player choice in the matter

fuck ME story wise past the first one was a total train wreck.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

sure shepard """""""""dies""""""""" for a cheap marketing campaign hook, you spend the rest of the game working for the aforementioned terrorists, gathering a rag tag gang of duders to go and- oh the games over. the terminator reaper had no effect and it was never effectively sold why it was so incredibly dangerous. the harbinger was a joke. the side stories were solid but ultimately did not play into the overall plot.

Thank god people noticed! Everytime I say "ME2's story was REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD" I get bombarded with people telling me "But the Garrus SIDEQUEST!!" I was beginning to think that either I am crazy or everybody else.

ME2 introduces a new kind of alien race, establishes them as the main bad guy i the game, does fuck all with them and completely forgets about them in ME3. And then you fight a big robot.

ME2 is all side quests, i'll grant anyone that, but i'll be damned if i didn't enjoy them and the whole game much more than ME1.

Yeah, there is some weird fucking nostalgia for that game. I enjoyed it, sure, but there's that pathetically clumsy Citadel opening, a really shitty inventory, the Mako stuff was... not good, some overall jank - it's a solid game, sure, but a lot of rough edges that needed to be smoothed out.

Mass Effect sucks.

Thank you for this valuable and well thought out contribution.

klonere

Banned
ME2 is all side quests, i'll grant anyone that, but i'll be damned if i didn't enjoy them and the whole game much more than ME1.

I definitely enjoyed my time with ME2 at the time but overall I say that I like ME1 more. One of the very few RPGs of any ilk to have a properly great and satisfying ending that had so much left for sequels to do.

also apart from the ME1 Citadel theme this is the best piece of music to come out of the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKiOcV1SSc

Myggen

Thank you for this valuable and well thought out contribution.

Thank you.

But seriously, I fucking hated playing ME1 even at the time and I doubt it has aged well for me. It might have the best overall story, but that doesn't matter much when I don't enjoy playing it. ME2 is all sidequests but I loved most of those sidequests, and it's way, way more fun to play. I didn't mind he RPG elements being taken out from ME1 because I never really enjoyed those elements of ME1. ME3 was enjoyable but frustrating.

klonere

Banned
Mass Effect sucks.

it kinda does

i have a really bad feeling that the next ME is going to be pretty bad as well, if DA:I is anything to go by

that 100s of pages hopes and dreams thread is going to full of broken hearts and angry posts when it comes out i bet

Tucah

you speak so well
Thank you.

But seriously, I fucking hated playing ME1 even at the time and I doubt it has aged well for me. It might have the best overall story, but that doesn't matter much when I don't enjoy playing it. ME2 is all sidequests but I loved most of those sidequests, and it's way, way more fun to play. I didn't mind he RPG elements being taken out from ME1 because I never really enjoyed those elements of ME1. ME3 was enjoyable but frustrating.

I can agree with all of this.

Patryn

it kinda does

i have a really bad feeling that the next ME is going to be pretty bad as well, if DA:I is anything to go by

that 100s of pages hopes and dreams thread is going to full of broken hearts and angry posts when it comes out i bet

Have you considered that some of us in that thread actually liked Dragon Age Inquisition?

Myggen

it kinda does

I still hold out some kind of hope, but I fear that Bioware has lost me. Bioware is one of my all time favourite developers with BGII being my all time favourite game. But DA:I just felt bloated as hell to me, I began to mainline it but even then I didn't really care much about the story of that game. MEII is the last Bioware game I've really enjoyed, probably because it's so focused compared to most of their recent stuff (you could argue that DA II is pretty focused too, but for all the wrong reasons). In many ways Obsidian has taken Bioware's place as my favourite RPG developer now.

The Mass Effect universe still has a lot of potential, but I'm just not sure if I trust Bioware to make games I love anymore.

so ME3 has the unenviable position of telling 2.5 games story in one game alongside bioware being unable to do shades of grey and turned Cerberus into SUPER BAD GUYS that yes, you did end up totally playing into the hands of with no player choice in the matter

The worst part is Shepard ""dying"" isn't just how pointless it was, it was how it completely squandered a lot of potential for both 2 and 3.

ME3's entire story is about everyone being under siege and there's no safe place left in the galaxy and you're supposed to be super invested in Earth as "your home" despite having never been there before ME3's opening. No, our home is the Normandy, and you blew it up at the beginning of ME2 and immediately replaced it with a bigger model 20 minutes later.

I've read some defenses of ME3's ending as
"it's a story about death and rebirth!"
which is impossible to take seriously after
Shepard wakes up after being dead for two years and nobody really cares about that and are even joking about it.

Then finally you have how nobody (not even the more intelligent, religious, or philosophical characters) even wants to broach the topic around Shepard's resurrection, the philosophical quandaries, or anything like that. It's a weird thing for a Star Trek inspired science fiction series to just avoid, but I guess at this point ME was less focused on aspirational science fiction and more on shallow wish fulfillment via Shepard the Immortal Sex Hero-God so nobody wants to question it by making them seem really vulnerable in any way beyond "Wow... war is hard... makes u think..." . It's only finally raised
near the end of ME3 (probably after people were so baffled by the lack of a conversation in 2) and it's immediately dismissed like 5 minutes later as "oh nvm you're totally the real shepard brought back to life with no kind of catch"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom