• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddified

I'd say try a different game and come back to New Vegas whenever Fallout 4 gets announced. New Vegas is significantly better (though not unsignificantly buggier) than Fallout 3, but you also might run the risk of getting burned out on that kind of game before you finish it. Two of those games in a row is a hell of a lot of janky wasteland roleplaying.

Yeah I was thinking that, but I'm also someone who played through all the Assassin's Creed games in a row before 3 came out. So I don't think I get burned out like other people do.

I'm trying to get into Divinity Original Sin but it's just to janky for my tastes even though I dig everything about it. Still play some Dota and Monster Hunter on the side though.

Hey Steve, we should have a go at some Dota someday.

It's a no-brainer. Fallout NV >>>> 3.

Truth.

Fallout 3 was one of the most nothing games I've ever played. Man it was so boring to the point where as soon as I finished the game I didn't even try to do the DLC.

I've been told to play NV because its way better, but I'd honestly just not play another Fallout game in general.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah I was thinking that, but I'm also someone who played through all the Assassin's Creed games in a row before 3 came out. So I don't think I get burned out like other people do.

That's fair. I'm pretty sure I played New Vegas two and a half times through before I moved to something else. And that was the PS3 version. All of the above was due mostly to unemployment.

Bacon

Fallout 3 was one of the most nothing games I've ever played. Man it was so boring to the point where as soon as I finished the game I didn't even try to do the DLC.

I've been told to play NV because its way better, but I'd honestly just not play another Fallout game in general.

NV is way better. The writing is about 100x better, shit actually happens, and your choices are actually meaningful

Teddified

Yeah I am curious to see all the improvements in New Vegas, my worry is because of my completionist habit I'll probably try for all the ending and stuff. Though most of the time I worry about stuff like that it turns out to be not that big of deal. Especially since I'm on PC and can just cheat my way on next playthroughs.

Myggen

wait really?

Yeah, probably. Drew said that it would come out "Wednesday night" Pacific time/Thursday morning, so going by when they usually release the MGS videos 12 hours from now is a good bet.

Which reminds me I need to watch the last episode today.

Fjordson

NV is better, but it's incredibly similar. Same combat, same structure, same visuals. Can't imagine you'll like it if you hated FO 3. Though I guess it depends on what exactly you didn't like about FO 3.

I just love the Fallout universe so I've enjoyed all of them (and I think Bethesda's pretty decent at doing open-world RPG's).

NV is better, but it's incredibly similar. Same combat, same structure, same visuals. Can't imagine you'll like it if you hated FO 3. Though I guess it depends on what exactly you didn't like about FO 3.

I just love the Fallout universe so I've enjoyed all of them (and I think Bethesda's pretty decent at doing open-world RPG's).

Essentially everything. Didn't like the combat or the VATS system. Didn't like how the overworld was just so empty. Of course, this is probably my dumbest complaint since it is a post-apocalyptic world. But there wasn't necessarily anything I enjoyed about F3. Exploring was boring, didn't like any of the art, being overencumbered was frustrating, etc. Again, not all are complaints are stuff that's bad about the game, just things things I didn't like.

Its a bad comparison, but I enjoy everything about SMT a lot more for my post-apocalyptic fix.

Never gets old seeing Dan getting people rustled but its kinda unfortunate this time since hes actually trying to be helpful.

Its a shame that people that aren't premium on GB mostly see Dan as some goofy guy who just plays a character for the site, but some of his stories, especially on Danswers, showed just how serious an issue anxiety was for him. I hope the people that read it really got a lot out of it because contrary to what people actually think, Dan is a great guy who actually has some really helpful things to say about a subject he's struggled with a long time with.

Never gets old seeing Dan getting people rustled but its kinda unfortunate this time since hes actually trying to be helpful.
Yup, dumping on him because of his occasional ignorance on some topics is already uncalled for, but doing that when he's sharing personal issues to try and help others cope with or understand a life affecting issue is just gross.

Myggen

Christ, that thread in off topic about Dan's book is embarrassing.

Anxiety, depression and other mental disorders are still largely misunderstood among the public who has never had any experience with it, either themselves or someone they know. It's an "invisible disease", so a lot of people have a hard time understanding how fucking awful it can. My experience as someone struggling with anxiety since my teens (I'm thankfully much better now) is that most people are still very ignorant about this stuff. So you'll get comments like "what does he have to be worried about", or "think happy thoughts" which are, to put it mildly, not helpful.

Also, XANDER posted a pretty great Andrew W.K. article on his experience with depression in that thread.

The times when my depression was really bad are difficult to put into words. People who haven't been depressed asked me if it was like being in a really bad mood, or feeling really, really sad. It's not like that at all. It's not a mood or an emotion. Depression is like being exposed to a truth about reality that is so full of sorrow and misery that it shuts down the very part of you that exists as a human being. It's like being told that everything good about life was a lie and that the biggest lie of all is you. But you're not just thinking about these awful truths, you are the awful truth — and you become that feeling.

People have also asked me, "Why can't you just snap out of it?" Trying to "snap out" of depression is like trying to eat food when you're nauseated. It's like trying to stay awake when you've taken a dozen sleeping pills. It's like trying to run a race where you're underwater and everyone else is on dry land. It takes an extraordinary amount of strength just to exist in the midst of a depression. Just breathing with your lungs takes a full-blown conscious effort. You feel like you don't want to do anything ever again. You feel like you don't want to be. And then you feel bad for feeling that. And so on.

The fact that it's so hard for other people to understand what it's like to feel severely depressed can add to the feelings of frustration and alienation. Depression distorts and stains every aspect of yourself and the world around you and rips away at everything that is happy and beautiful, as though the façade of joy has been removed from everything you once held dear. It's like having a fever in your soul. It's like what the end of the world tastes like.

In addition to these overwhelming physical feelings of terrifyingly bleak depression, I've also continuously wrestled with a long list of other low emotions: frustration, jealousy, resentment, anger, rage, hatred, violent impulses, paranoia, and feelings of hopelessness, exhaustion, despair, selfishness, self-pity, and low self-esteem. Mixed in with these feelings have also been extreme shyness, anxiety, fear and dread, and a general feeling of guilt about having all these feelings in the first place. I've never had a justifiable reason to feel this bad, and that made me feel even worse. I have a good life and good people around me, so why can't I just be happy all the time? I'm still trying to find that answer.

I love Twitter

johnnyv8kudg.png

Aeana

WHAT

RUFFRUFFRUFFRUFF

Man, Aenea really ethered Dan in that book thread... that might have been a bit too harsh.
I didn't expect people to take it that way. To me, Forrest Gump is a story about a regular dude who has incredible influence on events and people without even trying, and lives a much fuller and satisfying life than basically anyone.

I should apologize for not consisering how difficult it must have been to deal with his anxiety, but I wasn't insulting his mental capacity or anything like that.

Fjordson

Essentially everything. Didn't like the combat or the VATS system. Didn't like how the overworld was just so empty. Of course, this is probably my dumbest complaint since it is a post-apocalyptic world. But there wasn't necessarily anything I enjoyed about F3. Exploring was boring, didn't like any of the art, being overencumbered was frustrating, etc. Again, not all are complaints are stuff that's bad about the game, just things things I didn't like.

Its a bad comparison, but I enjoy everything about SMT a lot more for my post-apocalyptic fix.
Yeah, you probably won't like NV. It's another barren wasteland, the art is the same and being overencumbered still sucks :lol Like I said, I love them, but they definitely aren't perfect. And part of me liking them is my love for the lore and the universe after the original two games.

It's actually kinda surprising to me when I think about how big a hit 3 and NV were despite their annoyances. Guess people just can't resist a solid open-world game these days.

aurahack

Neo Member
Hah, that's pretty great.

Formula E is a really strange thing.

It's the weirdest shit and I love it. Half the drivers are sworn pros and the other half are every online opponent I've ever had in a racing game. There's seriously been more action in one Formula E race than like, almost all of last season in F1. Can't get enough of it.

Myggen

I didn't expect people to take it that way. To me, Forrest Gump is a story about a regular dude who has incredible influence on events and people without even trying, and lives a much fuller and satisfying life than basically anyone.

I should apologize for not consisering how difficult it must have been to deal with his anxiety, but I wasn't insulting his mental capacity or anything like that.

I'm guessing some people took your post the wrong way and interpreted it as a signal that it was okay to start shitting up that thread, and that's partly why it got out of hand those first few pages. But I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, you probably won't like NV. It's another barren wasteland, the art is the same and being overencumbered still sucks :lol Like I said, I love them, but they definitely aren't perfect. And part of me liking them is my love for the lore and the universe after the original two games.

It's actually kinda surprising to me when I think about how big a hit 3 and NV were despite their annoyances. Guess people just can't resist a solid open-world game these days.

Its definitely the type of game that fills a niche of exploring a post-apocolytpic world and its lore/characters more than anything. I don't know much about people's opinions on being overencumbered and the VATS and stuff, but people probably enjoy how it helps the game feel more realistic, sacrificing a more typical FPS style and not being overencumbered, in order to help realize that feeling.

I'm interest to see what Fallout 4 is, but its probably just going to be more of the same, unless its a huge a shift as 2 was to 3.

Well now I need to know what's in it.

His physical copy of Bloodborne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom