• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Yeah the Old Games Show is cool, I hope they continue to do it fairly often.

So it's really odd to me that they block you from watching the Youtube upload of a video on their site unless you are a premium member. Is that just because they want to make you watch their ad rather than Youtube's? 'Cause that's not what's happening, I'm just going to their Youtube channel instead.

There is some logic behind it.

If you watch it on their (GB) site they control any ad revenue.
If you watch it on youtube they get a cut of ad revenue.
If you watch youtube via the GB site they get nothing as youtube goes not allow you to make money on embedded views. Well, you can but you have to sign up to a separate program and I don't think pre roll ads are included anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I burn through those in the car. besides, I'm not going to pretend I'm above an entire medium for some reason. there's been a lot of good shows over the last decade or so.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I'm above a medium, I just can't find time for it if I want to do other stuff that I have more interest in.

I mean giantbomb is basically my TV at this point really.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
one of my favorite things in life is playing games that don't require my full attention while watching tv shows that don't require my full attention

definitely one of the main reasons I play so many jrpgs and turn based strategy games

e: having said that, I just watched both seasons of Hannibal and that show was shockingly good. how the hell did that show end up on network tv?

Yeah, same here. I just don't watch tv. I don't think I even own a TV anymore.

the only time I've ever watched "tv" over the last decade+ is while visiting my folks or whatever, as netflix etc have removed everything shitty about enjoying tv shows.

i'm certainly not 'above' a medium but there are definitely mediums I find more difficult to enjoy than others

sure, but we're also at a point where I thought a tv show was better than any new movie I saw the entire year, by a significant margin (True Detective)

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I'm above a medium, I just can't find time for it if I want to do other stuff that I have more interest in.

I mean giantbomb is basically my TV at this point really.

I'm getting rid of sattelite later this year when the contract runs out and I can easily see GB and various YT LP'ers filling in the gaps of my missed TV. I've gotten to the point where I can miss most TV and not care now that Mad Men and a few other shows are either ending or going down hill. Most decent tv I watch is network OTA anyways.

Yeah, same here. I just don't watch tv. I don't think I even own a TV anymore.

How is there doubt?! :lol

"There may be a tv in that room over there, but I never go in there so I'm not sure."

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
How is there doubt?! :lol

"There may be a tv in that room over there, but I never go in there so I'm not sure."

I might still have a TV in my room at my parent's house, or maybe they already sold it ;)
I guess I'll see in summer when I have to move out of the dorm.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
See, as an Australian we didn't get Netflix till recently, our cable TV options are ridiculously expensive and the FTA shows we get are TERRIBLE.

one of my favorite things in life is playing games that don't require my full attention while watching tv shows that don't require my full attention

definitely one of the main reasons I play so many jrpgs and turn based strategy games

e: having said that, I just watched both seasons of Hannibal and that show was shockingly good. how the hell did that show end up on network tv?
I hope that's not implying that you weren't paying full attention to Hannibal because I don't see how that's possible. Shit is propulsive. That and True Detective are my favorite things going right now.

I hope that's not implying that you weren't paying full attention to Hannibal because I don't see how that's possible. Shit is propulsive. That and True Detective are my favorite things going right now.

Fargo>True Detective for me. Though I'm kind of more interested in the next season of TD than I am Fargo just because I'm curious on how different it will be.

demidar

See, as an Australian we didn't get Netflix till recently, our cable TV options are ridiculously expensive and the FTA shows we get are TERRIBLE.

Yeah. The number one thing stopping me from watching shows is convenience. If I could watch them on-demand whenever I wanted rather than having to wait for a timeslot it would be aces.

That's why I have a Crunchyroll subscription /ANIME

Anyway, MGS3 is ridiculously good. That is all.

hamchan

I love the age we live in where we can choose from a huge library of TV shows and movies and watch it instantly. Will never sit through a commercial break ever again.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'll often watch bbc quiz shows if I'm eating dinner when they're on. Other than that I only really watch tv for sports

Its a shame Portable Ops is forgotten because Kojima didn't direct it because that game does have a bunch of important Metal Gear lore in it.

The ultimate fate of the FOX unit.
How Big Boss goes from Hero of America at the end of 3 to mercenary boss at the start of Peace Walker.
More about what happens with philosophers legacy.
And I think some other bullshit I am forgetting...

I feel like a fun fan project would be to take all the cutscenes and impotent radio talks and just remove the stuff with Null / Grey Fox and Young Campbell and the other dumb stuff that totally doesn't fit and edit it all down to what fits in canon.

Plus it has the best original lyrical song in the franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkgn3QUA2w

But yeah...the official Kojima line of "the main plot of PO is canon but a lot of the other stuff isnt" is totally accurate. Someone just needs to take a editing tool to it and present it that way.

And I will guess MGS4 will probably happen after E3.

hamchan

Portables Ops had a reference to the "man with the same code name as Null" being the one pulling the strings. So yeah pretty important.

Its a shame Portable Ops is forgotten because Kojima didn't direct it because that game does have a bunch of important Metal Gear lore in it.

How Big Boss goes from Hero of America at the end of 3 to mercenary boss at the start of Peace Walker.

I feel like a fun fan project would be to take all the cutscenes and impotent radio talks and just remove the stuff with Null / Grey Fox and Young Campbell and the other dumb stuff that totally doesn't fit and edit it all down to what fits in canon.

But yeah...the official Kojima line of "the main plot of PO is canon but a lot of the other stuff isnt" is totally accurate.

It's part of the trilogy of Big Boss games post-MGS3 where Snake isn't respected as BB, does a bunch of cool shit, and then at the end of the game accepts and is accepted in the role of BB only to have the next game restart the cycle all over again.

PO needs to have some sort of motion comic or some shit where Kojima flatly lays out what is and isn't canon from that game because i'll be damned if that whole game is canon. All i know is that PO isn't part of the 25 anniversary collection nor was it on the official MGS timeline Kojipro had on their site before that shit got nuke from orbit.

Xater

It's part of the trilogy of Big Boss games post-MGS3 where Snake isn't respected as BB, does a bunch of cool shit, and then at the end of the game accepts and is accepted in the role of BB only to have the next game restart the cycle all over again.

PO needs to have some sort of motion comic or some shit where Kojima flatly lays out what is and isn't canon from that game because i'll be damned if that whole game is canon. All i know is that PO isn't part of the 25 anniversary collection nor was it on the official MGS timeline Kojipro had on their site before that shit got nuke from orbit.

Yeah PO is weird that way. Peace Walker is definitely canon though and pretty important. Hell at some point it was MGS5.

My wwe network sub ran out

I need to fix this

Perfect time to subscribe to New Japan World.

If we are talking about overall important to the timeline I would say Portable Ops has more important shit in it then Peace Walker.

But yeah both of those games do fall a little flat because it seems like at the end nothing really mattered anyway this happens

I hope Phantom Pain actually has some important shit in it and it isnt just another Random Adventure of Big Boss where he kills a bad guy, get moody about killing the Boss but in the end puts it all behind him and then in the post credits scene Ocelot hints at the games later in the timeline

Xater

I hope Phantom Pain actually has some important shit in it and it isnt just another Random Adventure of Big Boss where he kills a bad guy, get moody about killing the Boss but in the end puts it all behind him and then in the post credits scene Ocelot hints at the games later in the timeline

It's going to lead into Metal Gear. That's pretty much a given. It completes the story loop.

danm999

Yeah Australian TV is pretty awful. But I've been using US Netflix for almost two years now with a VPN and honestly have no intention of shifting over to the reduced catalogue bullshit they're trying to sell us.

It's going to lead into Metal Gear. That's pretty much a given. It completes the story loop.

They have actually been saying that for every Big Boss game Portable Ops though and it never happens.

In the end its just a random story of Big Boss doing cool guy stuff killing bad guys and then they hint at whats to come after the credits.

I fully expect TPP to be just that... and it will be great but I dont expect the end of that game to perfect tie up to the start of Metal Gear. I bet Big Boss beats whatever bad guy is in that game and then after the credits they do some Solid Snake teasing. The End!

jgminto

They could never top Peace Walker's brand of Big Boss nonsense anyway. The conclusions made by Big Boss at the first ending of PW are still some of the most baffling Metal Gear moments for me.

pizzacat

Banned

But yeah...the official Kojima line of "the main plot of PO is canon but a lot of the other stuff isnt" is totally accurate. Someone just needs to take a editing tool to it and present it that way.

PO is a better sequel to 3 than PW. PW can get too dumb at times

Still hoping at some point it smoothly transitions into being a metal gear 1 and 2 remake

My ideal MGSV scenario is that game has 2 endings.

1: The Canon MGS ending. Big Boss returns to america and is now in charge of Fox Hound, You see a young solid snake join fox hound and in the end BB secretly starts outer heaven and it leads perfectly into the start of MG1.

2: Bad shit new ending. Big Boss goes full evil. Kills adult Solid Snake while he is just a rookie solider. Goes full nutters and starts a full open war against The Patriots.

Exactly how I feel. You remove the Null stuff that grinds a lot of peoples gears and PO is a great follow up to 3. PW got too stupid.

strafer

Wow, they're totally doing it.

5t5xnlO.png

Jintor

They could never top Peace Walker's brand of Big Boss nonsense anyway. The conclusions made by Big Boss at the first ending of PW are still some of the most baffling Metal Gear moments for me.

PW makes even less sense than usual.

Also where the fuck does MIller come from? First thing I know he's on the beach training soldiers with BB and then they've been buddies for like ever

I know there's a codec or something out there that explains the whole thing but it's real weird

The character assassination that game does to Grey Fox needs to be completely wiped off the face of the earth. It's terrible and even with metal gear's long history of doing some serious retconning, the shit they pulled with grey fox in that game is like some midichlorians-level of gfto of here.

At least PW's insanely stupid anime plot of nonsense has some dope stuff attached to it: the recruiting stuff is a lot better done and the mother base gameplay is enjoyable and rather addictive. Oh and
the part where you're actually assembling your own metal gear
was a neat twist except for the awful monster hunting grindy aspect of it all. Once i got the first ending and read what it took to get the "real" ending i threw my hands in the air in a fuck-that motion and just watched the rest of the game's turd story on youtube.

also, HOT COLDMAN and DR STRANGELOVE

pizzacat

Banned
The character assassination that game does to Grey Fox needs to be completely wiped off the face of the earth. It's terrible and even with metal gear's long history of doing some serious retconning, the shit they pulled with grey fox in that game is like some midichlorians-level of gfto of here.

At least PW's insanely stupid anime plot of nonsense has some dope stuff attached to it: the recruiting stuff is a lot better done and the mother base gameplay is enjoyable and rather addictive. Oh and
the part where you're actually assembling your own metal gear
was a neat twist except for the awful monster hunting grindy aspect of it all. Once i got the first ending and read what it took to get the "real" ending i threw my hands in the air in a fuck-that motion and just watched the rest of the game's turd story on youtube.

also, HOT COLDMAN and DR STRANGELOVE
I can't say no the hypest name that is HOT COLDMAN.

I guess I would enjoy PW more if the game wasn't broken into missions and the bosses weren't shite.

sjack

Banned

The Null hate is overblown and stupid and I would gladly take it over the hot garbage that is Peace Walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom