• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel like this has been happening a lot more than usual in the past year on the gaming side

I feel like commenting on Internet things in general is doing damage to people's reading comprehension. Now it's all about coming up with what you'd say in regards to the headline rather than actually reading what people/the article said.

i feel like this has been happening a lot more than usual in the past year on the gaming side

I agree, the level of discourse has gone real down in the last couple of years. I feel like now that the floodgates opened, the forum has become less about intelligent discussion and debates and more about just a bunch of folks posting their poorly thought out hot take on whatever the thread is about in a drive-by fashion and then disappearing off to the next thread to do the same. I remember when we would have threads when a batch of juniors were approved, now they just kinda pour in and join the noise without having to sit around for months and learn what the expected behavior is for the forum.

it feels more like gamefaqs than ever before but, hey, maybe that's just me getting older and finding myself having less in common with the typical gaming side poster than in the past.

I agree, the level of discourse has gone real down in the last couple of years. I feel like now that the floodgates opened, the forum has become less about intelligent discussion and debates and more about just a bunch of folks posting their poorly thought out hot take on whatever the thread is about in a drive-by fashion and then disappearing off to the next thread to do the same. I remember when we would have threads when a batch of juniors were approved, now they just kinda pour in and join the noise.

it feels more like gamefaqs than ever before but, hey, maybe that's just me getting older and finding myself having less in common with the typical gaming side poster than in the past.

I read your thread.

durr they have a patent.

The thread is about the patent EXPIRING. READ.

i meant they'll just renew

It's been twenty years. That's the limit on patents. Don't post if you have no idea what you're talking about!

HATE

I read your thread.

durr they have a patent.

The thread is about the patent EXPIRING. READ.

i meant they'll just renew

It's been twenty years. That's the limit on patents. Don't post if you have no idea what you're talking about!

HATE

I just find the idea that there could possibly be a whole new batch of developers who become expert load screen devs and good at making them to be something to consider and that this could provide publishers another means of pushing their older catalog onto new gamers.

BUT BAYONETTA LET ME KICK AND PUNCH ITS ALREADY A THING BAH

i mean, i suppose once SSDs become a standard in the next 10 years or so the whole thing will be moot but i just wanted to explore the possibilities.

Patryn

Random request: Somebody have a handy link to (a YouTube video) of the Bombcast segment where Patrick totally whiffed the prediction about removing Kinect, and Vinny edited together that wonderful segment?

I agree, the level of discourse has gone real down in the last couple of years. I feel like now that the floodgates opened, the forum has become less about intelligent discussion and debates and more about just a bunch of folks posting their poorly thought out hot take on whatever the thread is about in a drive-by fashion and then disappearing off to the next thread to do the same. I remember when we would have threads when a batch of juniors were approved, now they just kinda pour in and join the noise without having to sit around for months and learn what the expected behavior is for the forum.

i mean part of it is the traffic is too high in gaming

if you make a thread it will fall off in less than one minute

if the right person didnt see it, its gone forever

so its either have a well thought out intelligent conversation starter... that doesnt go anywhere because it got pushed off by WHAT SHOULD FROM DO IF THEY CROSSOVER BLOODBORNE AND DARK SOULS and DRIVECLUB VS THE ORDER WHATS MORE UNDERRATED or you have a thread full of shitty one liners and some people having a real conversation over them

i guess id rather have the latter

Ii mean, i suppose once SSDs become a standard in the next 10 years or so the whole thing will be moot

I doubt that'll happen. Not the SSD thing, but them making loading screens go away forever.

Also, the patent expiring would be the best thing to happen to Atari in a long time. Just license out Pong, Centipede, and Super Breakout for the sole purpose of being in loading screens.

jimmy was the new hire afterall

I caused an international incident

Crocodile Scanlon paid witness to a true patriot.

Jeff burnt Megasoum, who has a real name, over a domain registration kerfuffle.

We anime rappin now.

she was a true patriot

Into the trash this thread goes then, you anime rappers

I'm kiddin you anime rappers I cant quit you

What is Jeff Gerstmann?
A documentary report all about Jeff Gerstmann for the blind and visually impaired or for homework/assignment.

sHmOvtI.jpg

I do know what it is. Wikipedia articles read by a computer with images that are meant to be related. It's the juxtaposition of the images with the narration that I find humorous.

i just meant i thought it was actually going to be about stress relief

and it technically was i guess

Myggen

Content-empty Thursday. Sounds like somebody needs a series. Any ideas?

A QL and an Unfinished today!

But Mario Party is bullshit.

edit: Oh wow, Angry Joe is responding to people in this Joe vs. Nintendo thread. Time to bring the popcorn.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
A QL and an Unfinished today!

But Mario Party is bullshit.

So I've been having this problem where my cat is an asshole. He's recently taken to jumping up on my keyboard when I'm not around to bring my computer out of sleep. Also, Giant Bomb has this thing where if you watch a Quick Look while logged in it'll drop from the top stories and hide down below in the feed.

Long story short, I think my cat watched the Lakeview Cabin quick look sometime today because it did not appear in the top part of Giant Bomb for me this afternoon when I checked the site.

Myggen

So I've been having this problem where my cat is an asshole. He's recently taken to jumping up on my keyboard when I'm not around to bring my computer out of sleep. Also, Giant Bomb has this thing where if you watch a Quick Look while logged in it'll drop from the top stories and hide down below in the feed.

Long story short, I think my cat watched the Lakeview Cabin quick look sometime today because it did not appear in the top part of Giant Bomb for me this afternoon when I checked the site.

I wonder how your cat reacted when he watched the UPF episodes with Henry.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I still need to watch the third mario party

everyone sounded kinda down on it at the time

I still need to watch the third mario party

everyone sounded kinda down on it at the time

Everyone except Dan seemed down on the game so it wasn't a great time.

edit: Oh wow, Angry Joe is responding to people in this Joe vs. Nintendo thread. Time to bring the popcorn.

He didn't really respond to much, though he used inflammatory language to get people riled up. Can't believe that's 50 pages long.

Rainmaker

Banned
The background music for the Ex Machina ad on this weeks Bombcast has been stuck in my head for days. I couldn't figure out what it was from until I listened to the Bombcast again out of boredom just now.

Also, Caravella's Comic Corner needs to return.

I know. He fell hard for the exo suit mobility and if that is gone (which I'm going to guess it is), he won't even bother with it much going by his past comments.

Well the image in the uh, announce thread has a very exo-suit guy infront of the 3. And the description talks about future stuff.

I share a lot of these sentiments but am still ultimately happy to come onto GAF every day.

Mully

Can Call of Duty just go to space already?

They've been teasing that shit since MW2 when they basically made The Rock, the video game.

LET'S GO TO SPACE AND STAY IN MOTHA FUCKING SPACE.

I'm listening to the GOTY 2008 Podcast, and I have a few thoughts.

- It's crazy and really interesting to hear how much they all, and especially Jeff, go to bat for GTA IV, considering I think he specifically has referred to that game as a disappointment (I can't remember a specific time, I just have a feeling it's not looked back on fondly)

- It's also interesting in hindsight to NOT hear Jeff go up to bat at all for Burnout Paradise as GOTY (it does make the top ten)

- Man, they sure did love Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

- It's really nice, and kind of sad in a way, to hear them all so legitimately enthusiastic about the discussion. Sure the argument can be made that 2008 was a better year for games than say, last year, but Jeff and Brad specifically are both operating on a whole other plane of enthusiasm than you hear how.

- People probably won't agree with me here, but I wouldn't mind if they went back to this model of just one long podcast, with the top ten already picked, and just hash out the order. I get the feeling that one of the main reasons they all sound so spritely here is because they aren't on the tail end of ten hours of recording. Plus, the format is just really good. List out the nominees one by one, with about ten minutes of discussion for each, and then begin debating the order. The way it is now, the last day's podcast is pretty redundant (when it should be the most important one), as they don't really have anything new to say about these games they've just spent ten hours talking about.

Anywho, those are just some of my thoughts. It was a great year for games, and a super interesting podcast to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom