• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corgi

Banned
ooh samantha is on danswers. needa listen to that after bombcast. Love how she takes initiative and shows up on anything she's a fan of lol.

completely invaded giantbomb and tested stuff recently like a boss.

So like a grand for to put something together that's top of the line?

a good video card is gonna run you $300
a good CPU is about the same.
so you're at 600 without a motherboard, case, ram, or any other ancillary things.

Of course, PC gaming is also a lot cheaper than console gaming, especially when we could buy games from Russia back in the day and enjoy regional discounts/errors. I preordered my copy of the Witcher 3 for $18 and got Evolve for $7. Bought Titanfall day one for $35. So even if you spend a grand on a great PC, you'll more than break even eventually just because going full PC means faster and harder price drops than on consoles. that, and you're almost guaranteed to run anything that's coming out at 1080p at or near max settings and higher framerates.

That's probably without buying a monitor, right?

yeah. the $1100 was strictly the case and everything inside it.

but I mean like, you can use it on a tv if you want to skip the monitor and you can get m+kb for free with like zero effort. lord knows I've got several extras lying around.

popo

Complaining that souls games shun some of the modern conveniences of modern games is a bit pointless, given that they are deliberately designed to be throwbacks, to appeal to people who feel a lot of modern design is too handholdy.

That said. If there was an easy mode, "ninja dog" style shaming the weak, that kept everything the same with the exception of boss checkpoints or shortcuts - I would totally play that mode. I love that trial and error approach to fighting a boss. Just throwing yourself in there and learning the patterns. What I could live without is the run up to the boss every time - some worse than others. So much so that in extreme cases, after a dozen runs, I would start thinking about cheesing or tanking the boss just to avoid the run up again. Beating it fair no longer worth the stall in progression. Like that moment of shame when you turn to a guide in an adventure or puzzle game. Shame tempered with the knowledge that if you continue to beat your head against it, you are as likely to quit the game all together as you are to stumble on to the solution. Cash rich (relatively) and time poor, there are always other games clammering for attention.

It is like when you are emulating a NES game. Save states totally breath life in to games that I found too painful to play in the past. Is it cheating? Fuck do I care, as long as I am having fun.

So yeah, that was a ramble. Basically, I don't demand all games suit my personal needs, but given the choice - the more options a game has, the better and in the year 2020 when I emulate bloodborne on my microsoft holodeck - I will totally be using save states.

Mr. F

Banned
I don't mind seeing sales figures (after they've happened), I mean, that can be kind of interesting. it was more specifically the invitation to discuss what kind of sales you think Sony wants to do

my guess is "as many as possible" but maybe I'm just naive

More or less. I don't understand what there is to be gained by people with no clue posturing on what a corporation should hope to expect sales-wise.

If you're looking into pc gaming you need to consider that while you may invest a lot upfront you'll also save a lot in the long run. I made the jump earlier this year and I've been able to buy some fairly new releases for cheap thanks to sales, even brand new releases are generally cheaper than they are on console.

repeater

yep, you'd just have to sort something out for sound, but you can always plug headphones into your controller, which is still the secret best feature of that console
You could also get the official Sony headset which can be used wirelessly with the PS4. (YMMV depending on how much of an audio buff you are, it sounds good enough for me.)

popo

I was thinking of getting a pc monitor for my ps4

That would work right?

That is what I do. Look for one with HDMI, although you can use HDMI-DVI if necessary. Also consider your options for sound. TV sound is workable but most monitors have garbage speakers, if at all. Headphone, like others have said. Receiver with hdmi or optical, or I use a daq in to an old, but sweet sounding, analog amp.

If you're looking into pc gaming you need to consider that while you may invest a lot upfront you'll also save a lot in the long run. I made the jump earlier this year and I've been able to buy some fairly new releases for cheap thanks to sales, even brand new releases are generally cheaper than they are on console.

If you buy a lot of games and like them day one then you can make up the difference within the first year. I buy games when they get cheap and pay £10 a month to rent new console games, so ppl like me - not so much.

Sakwoff

Danswers with Samantha is great. By far the best episode so far.

I'm also really glad that the things that are said on there are being said on a site like Giant Bomb. Super important thing. Makes me hopeful.

Myggen

It looks like the GB guys use monitors when playing consoles at their desk, at least Brad does.

edit: You should add Demo Derby to the list in your OP!

The best thing about PC gaming is that you (almost) always get the definitive edition. You can play Unreal Tournament from '99 at a higher resolution than any console game from this generation.

daydream

Banned
sega swirl is best on dreamcast

hold that L, pc

we hired a new guy and i know he plays video games but i kind of avoided bringing it up because he's kind of annoying

asked him this morning:

"i dunno there are literally no games worth playing once youve played grand theft auto and dynasty warriors"

what the hell have i gotten myself into

you're so boned

we hired a new guy and i know he plays video games but i kind of avoided bringing it up because he's kind of annoying

asked him this morning:

"i dunno there are literally no games worth playing once youve played grand theft auto and dynasty warriors"

asked him this morning:

hey, it could be worse, he could've been a big fan of WWE Supercard

asked him this morning:

What was the question? Or is that the question? Who said that quote?

asked him this morning:

Lol

Show him Hyrule Warriors.

mhanna49

Neo Member

asked him this morning:

He should play Bladestorm. It's pretty fun.

Myggen

CA314dSUUAAWGU0.jpg

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/580390946237521920

i look at those photos and, yea, makes sense to me that dan was a virgin for so long. Dude looked like he was into anime statues and walking grandmas across the street and stuff.

jaina

So that's the pair of glasses Dan wore to look cool? More low key than I imagined, but granted, Dan probably was a reserved teenager.

If you buy a lot of games and like them day one then you can make up the difference within the first year. I buy games when they get cheap and pay £10 a month to rent new console games, so ppl like me - not so much.

Obviously it's not for everyone but I feel like even if you're getting console games cheap it's likely that they are still cheaper on pc. Obviously renting is an advantage that consoles can enjoy and as someone who primarily rented games for a large chunk of last gen I totally understand those benefits. I doubt that I personally will make up the difference this year but I'm sure I will by the time I need to upgrade.

Am I the only one that has no play button for all the videos on the website for almost a week now using chrome? There is a post about it in the forums but the last post was 5 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom