• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Souls (and Bloodbourne) are ARPGs, so they shouldn't be compared to either JRPGs or WRPGs. Its contemporaries are Dragon's Dogma and Kingdom Hearts and the Tales of series somewhat (action JRPG).

Now tales is a good series. It has convinced me that action JRPG can work

erawsd

I hate the Souls fan base.

They love to say every RPG should be like Souls, but I honestly get the sense that they'd be happier if the ability to equip different armor and weapons, and the ability to use magic were all removed so that everyone would have to play "right".

Basically they strike me as frustrated action game lovers who actually despise nearly all the RPG elements, because they offer choices and they don't like that.

Every rabid fan base is full of the same types of people... thats why they're rabid. Look at all the outrage over the way Drew plays MGS, some of it even spilled into this thread. Jeff mentioned they got a ton of it during the Persona ER too. I've been checking out the Witcher forums lately and theres people there who insist that japanese RPGs are not "real" RPGs because they dont have dialogue trees.

At least we got this from chubigans!

CBIk-cEUkAAOca8.jpg:large

That is amazing...

Patryn

Every rabid fan base is full of the same types of people... thats why they're rabid. Look at all the outrage over the way Drew plays MGS, some of it even spilled into this thread. Jeff mentioned they got a ton of it during the Persona ER too. I've been checking out the Witcher forums lately and theres people there who insist that japanese RPGs are not "real" RPGs because they dont have dialogue trees.
Hey, I'm a rabid Mass Effect fan and I'm not doing that shit.

Unless you're not playing an Engineer, because anything else is just fucking wrong.

Patryn

I've never played any Tales games. is there a recommended starting point?
Tales of Vesperia.

Easily the best in the series with an actually good protagonist who won't make you roll your eyes.

Otherwise, Tales of Symphonia is very popular.

It should be noted that Tales games are like Final Fantasy in that the games generally have nothing to do with one another other than similar game systems.

Tucah

you speak so well
Now tales is a good series. It has convinced me that action JRPG can work

Yep, I've been playing ToHR, gotten the furthest I've gotten in a Tales game (played a bit of Symphonia and that's it). It/the series mixes lots of the stuff you want/expect from a traditional JRPG with a fun action-y battle system, I've been having a great time with it.

erawsd

Hey, I'm a rabid Mass Effect fan and I'm not doing that shit.

Unless you're not playing an Engineer, because anything else is just fucking wrong.

That is unfair. The only class that deserves ridicule in ME is the Soldier....because what kind of person picks the most generic thing possible?

I've never played any Tales games. is there a recommended starting point?

Tales of Vesperia.

Easily the best in the series with an actually good protagonist who won't make you roll your eyes.

Otherwise, Tales of Symphonia is very popular.

It should be noted that Tales games are like Final Fantasy in that the games generally have nothing to do with one another other than similar game systems.

I would take this approach but if you can get Tales of Heart R for Vita that is pretty good as well. There is no english voice acting the game which is probably for the best.

I am glad both tales & modern persona games have put in difficulty modes.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I continue to find it hilarious that Dan loves anime but hates anime.

WRESTLING IS JUST AMERICAN ANIME, YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT

I would take this approach but if you can get Tales of Heart R for Vita that is pretty good as well. There is no english voice acting the game which is probably for the best.

my 360 is basically wheezing its last breath so the vita game is probably the safest bet.

if your jrpg doesn't have "Persona" in the title I don't care about english VO.

The struggles of a real anime fan.

most of us are just more open/cognizant of it

I have no use for anime fandom that doesn't come with self-loathing

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
my 360 is basically wheezing its last breath so the vita game is probably the safest bet.

if your jrpg doesn't have "Persona" in the title I don't care about english VO.

The atelier english VOs > the japanese ones honestly.

Mostly because I detest super high pitch japanese girl voices.

Patryn

That is unfair. The only class that deserves ridicule in ME is the Soldier....because what kind of person picks the most generic thing possible?
I was trying to make a joke about how I don't do that sort of stuff and then...

You know what? Never mind.

For real, though, Engineer is the best class

The only thing that made me sad about Dan's stream was that he kept blaming his failed parries on the parry mechanic itself, not the fact that he was doing a poor job of timing it right.

Play the game however the fuck you want. Would have been great to see him do it on his own, but I knew that wasn't going to happen going in.

However I will say it's a little bothersome to see that the boss was clearly designed with one person in mind, and once you introduce the other person it becomes almost trivial.

Antiwhippy

The souls team should have designed the bosses for two players then if they intended you to do that.

I mean c'mon, they even had NPC summons in Dark Souls (hell, motherfucking Tarkus could solo the iron golem if you let him do it). They wanted to make concessions for people who might not be good or have the patience for it and you know what? There's nothing wrong with that.

Now that I think about it, didn't one of the preview trailers feature three players facing off against Father Gascoigne?

It was clearly something they intended to do from very early on.

KingKong

I wonder if these 'hardcore' Souls fans have played actually difficult games? Like Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja? Or do they stick to the games where they can just grind for more health and damage when they get stuck

mattp

It's pretty funny people getting offended that the staff is trashing their favourite bands (Nickelback, Imagine Dragons, U2, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Creed) that they're willing to bat for in the comments for UPF 04/10/2015. Keep the overreactions coming.

People been getting offended at Giant Bomb staff's opinions since 2008 (and act like it's all new), so keep the tradition alive! XD

its pretty much a proven fact that nerds have horrible taste in music, so this isn't surprising

go to youtube and google the name of ANY video game + "linkin park"

enjoy

Yikes. People say that stuff? Ok, I'm starting to get what Brad said on the Bombcast this week about there being a truly obnoxious portion of the fanbase when it comes to any streamed games.

FTFY

Uch, please. Go away and play your "Call of Duty" games and don't bother us with your silly questions anymore.

Seriously though, people don't like it when you play with heavy armor. And I've been told to "go play my call of duty" so many god damn times when complaining about stuff in Dark Souls it almost made me hate the game.

Which is funny, as that's one of the areas where that attitude is strongest.

Or maybe GiantDad is Gordon Gekko, I dunno.

Antiwhippy

I looked up atelier + linkin park and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments + linkin park and got nothing.

Your system is flawed man.

I'm familiar with the anime connection, honestly any anime video set to Nickelback's Photograph is immediately hilarious to me

I just never made the connection that obscure games would have the same effect

dude you can watch literal hours of MGS + Linkin Park videos

I'm teetering on whether this is hilarious stupid or sad stupid

e: hahaha fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom