• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
so have health potions always been this prevalent in Souls games? seems like Brad always has a ton of them in his inventory.

Demon's Souls was kinda rough because you could only find them on corpses AFAIK but in the Dark games you could refill potions at a bonfire, only with the issue of enemies respawning after the fact. You could also use an item to make a flame produce more potions and you could do things throughout the game to further increase your volume of onhand potions.

It basically became a nonissue post-demon's souls.

so have health potions always been this prevalent in Souls games? seems like Brad always has a ton of them in his inventory.

In this game they give you a TON. Like I've been using them a decent amount and I still have 17. There's a design reason for it though and a damn good one.

Anjin M

Demon's Souls was kinda rough because you could only find them on corpses AFAIK but in the Dark games you could refill potions at a bonfire, only with the issue of enemies respawning after the fact. You could also use an item to make a flame produce more potions and you could do things throughout the game to further increase your volume of onhand potions.

I think Equals here has the right of it. It feels like they are leaning closer to Demon's Souls. But like with health recovery from counter-attacking (and everything else in the game), I think From wants to encourage a more active playstyle.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Having not played yet, I'm assuming it's Brad storing them like crazy and not wanting to use them since they're finite this time around.

huh, so the challenge is more about how quickly you go down rather than scarcity of resources?

convo

Hopefully Jason with his pre- knowledge of transforming weapons will be able to bring more to the conversation in the future. Stream is eating shit for me, patch the framerate Giantbomb what am i even looking at. Triple A video game sites really get worse every Year (; .;).

Lingitiz

Brad's underselling the changes in Bloodborne a lot. I mean yeah it's basically Dark Souls in a lot of ways but I feel like the changes make it pretty different.

huh, so the challenge is more about how quickly you go down rather than scarcity of resources?

Exactly. A lot more of a "kill them before they kill you" playstyle. Just keep fighting, but still be smart about knowing when to back off and heal and be quick to react to things. There's also still an incentive to keep it slow and study the enemy though.

I like Jason because he's really concerned with the nuts and bolts of game mechanics, which is the stuff I have the most fun with. Like when Dan said you can mash your way through Bayonetta but you're rewarded for playing better? I go nuts if I'm not playing those games as cleanly as I can.

I like Jason because he's really concerned with the nuts and bolts of game mechanics, which is the stuff I have the most fun with. Like when Dan said you can mash your way through Bayonetta but you're rewarded for playing better? I go nuts if I'm not playing those games as cleanly as I can.

Giant Bomb's disregard of this has been their number one problem with a bullet since their inception. Patrick bucked that trend and it seems as if Jason does the same to an even further extent. God bless the man.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Exactly. A lot more of a "kill them before they kill you" playstyle. Just keep fighting, but still be smart about knowing when to back off and heal and be quick to react to things. There's also still an incentive to keep it slow and study the enemy though.

interesting. pretty interested in jumping in with this game but i'm just hesitant about paying full price for something i might not like.

it's a really entertaining game to watch someone else play tho lol

Brad's underselling the changes in Bloodborne a lot. I mean yeah it's basically Dark Souls in a lot of ways but I feel like the changes make it pretty different.

I think if you went back and tried playing Dark Souls 1 afterwards you'd see how apparent the changes are. There's obviously a ton of shared DNA, but Bloodborne is pretty different. I can also see why BB could attract new people just due to the setting and emphasis on speed.

I played those games with maybe 2-3 of the same combos over and over again. I know the mechanics, but when it comes to being any good at something like Bayo or Ninja Gaiden i kinda stick to a couple of combos so that i can focus on enemy actions and projectiles coming at me better.

I know i'm not "playing it the right way" but when your character action game is basically a brawler with fighting-game levels of combinations and complexity, well, i aint got time for that.

Tucah

you speak so well

Besides the fact that Jason's just an entertaining dude, this is the reason I hope he continues to appear in more content like he has been the past couple weeks. He likes to get deep into the mechanics and he's good at explaining things in QLs.

Anjin M

• I like Jason quite a bit, too. He's been a great addition to GB.
  • I've never played a game clean in my life. As long as I can scrap my way through, that's all that matters to me. If I was a streamer, people in chat would be howling at my newbishness.

Giant Bomb's disregard of this has been their number one problem with a bullet since their inception. Patrick bucked that trend and it seems as if Jason does the same to an even further extent. God bless the man.

• "Problem" seems a little strong. It's definitely a blind spot, but I know by now that I should not be going to the Bombduders for that kind of analysis.
  • Of course, now that Jason is there, maybe he will sneak some more in and everyone will be happy.

convo

If Jason isn't on the couch for the next breaking brad then something is wrong with the world.

I neeeeed him to question anything Brad does. He needs a challenger of his beliefs and Dan isn't a convincing option, but Jason is the greater good that sees through Brad's lies and Johns.

daydream

Banned
Stop trying to make it a thing, daydream.

Stop trying to make this happen, DD.

iRFB7LleozJvy.gif

you're still cool to me, daydream

that means a lot ;-;

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"is that all there is to this?"
finds new area
"guess we're done in this chalice dungeon"
finds new area
""is that it?"
finds new area

jesus Brad come on, and you played the other souls games >_>

Jason was already great when he was just the voice of god, then there was that first quicklook followed by extra life which only cemented his greatness. Hopefully he's going to be a rotating bombcast guest, the man also needs a UPF segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom