• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still here because I am just waiting patiently for my Pillars of Eternity backer key. Yes... patiently.

That said the Bloodborne QL and early bombcast are helping in that regard.

Zaph

Seeing this image on the homepage, for a split second I thought Vinny was back for a Kinect QL :(

2737444-fnk2.jpg

Just finished up the JR interview, great stuff. Jeff really is a great interviewer, always knows how to ask interesting questions that'll get good answers. Other two duders did well too in that regard, really entertaining interview all round, JR came off as a pretty sweet dude.

So I was listening to the podcast, and everything Dan said about Bloodborne that he likes, he said he hated when he was playing Monster Hunter (most notably having to look up stuff on the wiki, not knowing what things did, etc). So I'm wondering if it's just the universe or the design of the game that he dislikes for MonHun.

I know they're wickedly different games, it was just weird to hear him give it praise in Bloodborne.

Wunder

Aw, shucks.

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY BLOODBORNE! Wunder AND I WANT TO PLAY VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU!

I'm really bad at these kinds of games though and I end up giving up pretty early on. I gave Dark Souls 2 20 hours but eventually kinda just stopped with that too.

Myggen

So I was listening to the podcast, and everything Dan said about Bloodborne that he likes, he said he hated when he was playing Monster Hunter (most notably having to look up stuff on the wiki, not knowing what things did, etc). So I'm wondering if it's just the universe or the design of the game that he dislikes for MonHun.

I know they're wickedly different games, it was just weird to hear him give it praise in Bloodborne.

Seemed to be the combat more than anything else he disliked about what he played of Monster Hunter. And I remember that he said something about him realising that something like Dark Souls has some of the same DNA as MH in terms of obscuring mechanics etc., but that he felt like Monster Hunter was on another level with that stuff compared to Dark Souls.

Except for the combat, I'd argue that there's not many similarities between the Souls games and Monster Hunter. The core of the Monster Hunter games, killing bosses and other creatures multiple times to get stuff for crafting, is nothing like the Souls series.

edit: Holy crap that hammer/sword in the QL looks awesome.

Anjin M

Except for the combat, I'd argue that there's not many similarities between the Souls games and Monster Hunter. The core of the Monster Hunter games, killing bosses and other creatures multiple times to get stuff for crafting, is nothing like the Souls series.

I think that most of the comparisons between Monster Hunter and the Souls series are due to the animation priority combat and the system opacity. So when Brad said that Dark Souls made him appreciate Monster Hunter more, I took it as learning to play Dark Souls taught him how to learn to play Monster Hunter.

Oops, I almost missed...
I'm really bad at these kinds of games though and I end up giving up pretty early on. I gave Dark Souls 2 20 hours but eventually kinda just stopped with that too.

It took me everyone YouTube video, wiki, and strategy guide I could find to get through the Dark Souls games. But they get under my skin something fierce.

Myggen

I think that most of the comparisons between Monster Hunter and the Souls series are due to the animation priority combat and the system opacity. So when Brad said that Dark Souls made him appreciate Monster Hunter more, I took it as learning to play Dark Souls taught him how to learn to play Monster Hunter.

Yeah, I agree. There's very obvious similarities between the combat in those games.

Also, I've given up on Monster Hunter again. At this point I don't think I'm ever gonna get hooked by that series. Onto Bloodborne instead, I guess.

Dan also cooked eggshells. I consider him and his thought process an enigma.

The similarity between DS/BB and MH is that you die and die and die until you learn how to not die (as opposed to other games where you live live and live and maybe die). And if you do something you're stuck in that animation without adjusting mid-animation, and so is the enemy.

Anjin M

We also have to take into account the fact that the Souls games are awesome and Monster Hunter is terrible. Maybe that explains why Dan prefers one to the other.

Taking my reply up here:
I'm bummed you don't hollow in Bloodborne, loved seeing my character in such a horrid form

That is pretty funny, but I actively avoided hollowing at all cost once I discovered the Ring of Sacrifice Life/Soul Protection in DSII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom