• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current status waiting for MKX:
osX9I2U

Current status as of reaching this sentence:fools have started a line. Will reach MGScanlon bonus tonight. It will be Finished

Status Update: Image appears to be broken, am afraid of psychoc monkeys, over

Status Status Update: Receipts are numbered, lines are futile

Lelcar

It's weird that they branded the MKX stream as a Quick Look and not just "Mortal Kombat Release Day Stream" or something. The video even starts with everybody talking on the couch. They're blurring the boundaries of their features!

I don't actually care for reals, I'm just in a nit-picky mood. While I'm on the subject, man, Brad is in full old man mode when it comes to Mortal Kombat (and also Tetris).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's weird that they branded the MKX stream as a Quick Look and not just "Mortal Kombat Release Day Stream" or something. The video even starts with everybody talking on the couch. They're blurring the boundaries of their features!

I don't actually care for reals, I'm just in a nit-picky mood. While I'm on the subject, man, Brad is in full old man mode when it comes to Mortal Kombat (and also Tetris).

No, I actually prefer it like this if it means one less mortal kombat video.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone online recently tried to tell me EA and Ubisoft were worse than Warner.

I pointed out the Batman costume thing and laughed.

Hey guys. I was banned for two weeks and as such had a lot of time to think about things that really matter in life. Here are my conclusions:

- Still no new hire?!
- MGS3 is really fucking great. A true goddamn patriot indeed.
- It's nice to see Dan drinking some good beer for once, even if I'm more a fan of German style wheat beers.
- Fast 5 > Furious 6 > The Fast and the Furious > Fast & Furious > 2 Fast 2 Furious > Tokyo Drift
(I watched all of them except 1 and maybe 2 for the first time during this time)
- T1 = T2 (it's the Alien/Aliens comparison) > TSCC > T3 > T4
- This song is still pretty fucking great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egne2ZCMM_0

Press X to FATALITY.

There is nothing wrong with these IMO

They are not affecting the game negatively in any way for people who don't pay - like virtually money in a racing games do - as people who don't pay there have a harder time amassingmoney to unlock cars.in carrrer mode.

People who don't buy these don't lose out on anything. The moves have not been made harder to force payment.

There is nothing wrong with these IMO

They are not affecting the game negatively in any way for people who don't pay - like virtually money in a racing games do - as people who don't pay there have a harder time amassingmoney to unlock cars.in carrrer mode.

People who don't buy these don't lose out on anything. The moves have not been made harder to force payment.

Yeah, I honestly don't see the giant deal past the inital shock of the idea, which is some 2008-era EA shit. If someone wants to pay five dollars to do fatalities easier, let them. It won't actually affect the gameplay at all.

I think people are more frustrated than anything else because it instantly has made fatalities uncool. They were this unique thing in the 90s arcade gaming world back in the day that was super hard to learn, much less master, and now you're outright getting tokens and can buy packs of them and it just feels so lame considering what a big deal they used to be.

I think people are more frustrated than anything else because it instantly has made fatalities uncool. They were this unique thing in the 90s arcade gaming world back in the day that was super hard to learn, much less master, and now you're outright getting tokens and can buy packs of them and it just feels so lame considering what a big deal they used to be.

But now we're in the age of the internet. Either way a guide to being able to do all the fatalities would all be up on some website within in a week, maybe not even.

Jintor

I don't really care so much about MK in any event but it just feels weird to me, y'know? I mean, I get that it's been designed not to take away from other aspects of playing, whatever, it's an unlockable some other way, you can get it through ingame money, whatever... but it feels off.

No more off than arcade machines in general tho i guess

justjim89

I'd much rather pay a few bucks to make shit in fighting games easier to execute instead having to memorize button combinations and look at the move list every 15 seconds.

But I'm not exactly the target demographic.

I'd much rather pay a few bucks to make shit in fighting games easier to execute instead having to memorize button combinations and look at the move list every 15 seconds.

Fatalities aren't really moves, and you don't really have to do them.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mortal Kombat of all things selling cheat codes seems even weirder than when EA does it, but I'm already not interested in the game. I miss the days of dropping arcade machines and 7 rib cages, Mortal Kombat X is just gross.

I'm the worst fighting game player ever and I'm having a decent time with MK9 on Beginner, only really losing a few times at most. Not every game is for everyone but I think charging extra for accessibility if you want to make it accessible to those who struggle with the game is super gross.

Worse yet is since MK9 or so they've put the fatalities combos in the fuckin' pause menu movelist, so this just seems like an extra insult - it's like 3 arrows and a button press to do a fatality nowadays anyways.

Jintor

The one thing I don't understand about metal gear is what the fuck does war for the sake war even mean?

the way i always understood it was big boss only knows how to live life as a soldier, so he wanted to create a world of endless war so that soldiers always have something to do (more or less).

So war for war's sake, devoid of objective or ideology; just to fight someone and have a good time while doing it

*shrug* it doesn't make much sense if you stop and think about it but that's never been what mgs was about anyway

Jintor

So is he gathering mercenaries to.. kill each other?

Like I said, don't think it through.

PW and MGS5 seem to imply that he's fallen into basically making a mercenary army to work for whoever wants to hire him, but I have no real idea what Zanzibarland and Outer Heaven and all that other crap is really about, because none of it makes any sustainable sense. Then again, he is Big Boss.

jgminto

I think it's kinda similar to the "war economy" stuff from other games. But instead of being focused on profits and control it's about sustaining their way of life.

Jintor

War Economy is a different thing I think.
So far as I understand it, the War Economy is more about a system that has gone completely out of whack than an individual attempting to do something for any particular purpose. The War Economy is something closer to, let's say, rampant capitalism, except it's built on war and the ramnifications thereof.

Of course the War Economy also doesn't make any long-term sense, but fugghedaboudit and let your mind go.

Anjin M

About the MKX Easy Fatalities, the argument Jeff and the crew have always forwarded is that they are essentially monetizing cheat codes.

Also, they absolutely recorded that bombcast before that tweet went up. But if you are curious what Jeff would say, see the above.

jgminto

War Economy is a different thing I think.
So far as I understand it, the War Economy is more about a system that has gone completely out of whack than an individual attempting to do something for any particular purpose. The War Economy is something closer to, let's say, rampant capitalism, except it's built on war and the ramnifications thereof.

Of course the War Economy also doesn't make any long-term sense, but fugghedaboudit and let your mind go.

Well with war economy
it was a system designed to control the cause and capabilities of conflict to maximise the profits tied to it.
while I think Big Boss was essentially planning to destabilise areas into conflict zones to increase the demand for mercenary forces [MGR spoilers]
which is also the plan of Armstrong if I remember correctly.
That's how I always interpreted it at least.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Having never seen those secret theater shorts, Metal Gear
Stupid
gave me a real hearty laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom