• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I kinda want to spend my day watching old Mailbags and playing GTAV. I'm sick and can't really do much else so this might be it.

The new hire is totally going to work out of the NY office, that's in the job description.
I'm basing this on precisely nothing, but I do wonder if Jeff would consider an at-large staffer to widen the possible talent pool.

That said, the previous hiring process took a long time as well, so I'm likely reading too much into things.

Myggen

I'm basing this on precisely nothing, but I do wonder if Jeff would consider an at-large staffer to widen the possible talent pool.

That said, the previous hiring process took a long time as well, so I'm likely reading too much into things.

The job description said that he/she is going to sit in on QLs and podcast(s) in New York, and work out of the same office as Alex and Vinny. So it's a sure thing that it's not going to be an at-large staffer. They tried that with Patrick and it largely didn't work, and I think Jeff realize that GB isn't Polygon, you need people in the same room.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No way the new hire won't work in the NY office. They need it and having a completely new guy working alone somewhere wouldn't work out.

They could just put him in a corner of the Ny office. We don't even know what the NY office actually looks like. There might be little crawlspaces to hide them! Or if all else fails, out on the window ledge with the pigeons.

Anjin M

Commenters on the site seem to be giving it a hard time, but I think Guiter Hero Live looks like a lot of fun. I appreciate them going balls-to-the-wall with the FMV. It looks like goofy fun.

Commenters on the site seem to be giving it a hard time, but I think Guiter Hero Live looks like a lot of fun. I appreciate them going balls-to-the-wall with the FMV. It looks like goofy fun.

I'm kind of torn on it. I'm not a fan of the playlist or it being just guitar, but the new guitar style seems more interesting to me than going back to the regular old guitar with Rock Band.

Myggen

I will always support FMV in modern games, but someone mentioned that it looks a lot like that Intel game they Quick Looked back in the day...so it looks dumb as shit. The actual gameplay looks interesting.

Tucah

you speak so well

If I had to buy a new set of instruments for RB I would consider switching to Guitar Hero. But since there is a game that will support the shit I already own, I'm going that way.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Old guitar hero looked goofy fun, this looks like godawful "Save as much money as we possibly can, how quick can we rent a camera and a lot?" bullshit.

Anjin M

I'm kind of torn on it. I'm not a fan of the playlist or it being just guitar, but the new guitar style seems more interesting to me than going back to the regular old guitar with Rock Band.
It is a step back for people who liked the full band experience. But I can't blame Activision for doing that again.
I will always support FMV in modern games, but someone mentioned that it looks a lot like that Intel game they Quick Looked back in the day...so it looks dumb as shit. The actual gameplay looks interesting.
That would be the part that sways me to this game. That and the dumb FMV.
Wait. Is that FMV for real? Like, is that how the levels are going to be like?

All too real, it seems. :)

edit://
If I had to buy a new set of instruments for RB I would consider switching to Guitar Hero. But since there is a game that will support the shit I already own, I'm going that way.

I switched sides this gen (Xbox 360-> PS4), otherwise that would be a much greater consideration for me.

Yeah all good points on the hire. I should stop thinking out loud!

Whoever likened the new Guitar Hero to Intel Discovered was dead-on. It's a neat idea and I do applaud them for trying something genuinely new, but the danger is it could get old fast. A neat implementation would be to do DLC of live performances if their technology allows for it (not necessarily truly live).

What I think is less excusable is that no DLC will carry over at all. What, they can't have a team to convert the tracks? Even have an import fee like the old discs? I don't [think] Guitar Hero fans will look forward to buying the same tracks yet again.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
seems like there will be a good fmv and a bad fmv depending on how you do

No it looks like it will all be bad fmv

292ell4.png

convo

Mensis isn't a bad part of the game at all. They are bad at it, but following Giant Bomb tradition they refuse to assign any blame upon themselves.

I agree with this part, though you can't read Jeff's mind you silly :p.
The thing that spells out 'Fuck you' in Mensis is like a giant Neon-sign telling you to fuck off, it's practically a set-piece put Jason couldn't handle not being confused and missing it it seems. At least he would know what's going on. I would compare it to someone with their back to A fucking atom-bomb and not seeing it coming, and getting wrecked without knowing what happened. People can be inattentive and Jason plays through this sort game without much help, at least he says so and comparing notes with Brad is also hilarious. Equating your own experience and opinion to an universal constants is a hallmark for the duders, and they can't be humbled unless the chat is screaming at them.

The worst part about the new Guitar Hero FMV is that they just straight up blur the screen to transition between good & bad ratings. It looks goddamn terrible.

if Jeff didn't like BB, he would've stopped playing it already.

Since Vinny and Alex (iirc) only go into the studio a couple times a week I imagine their priority is recording gameplay/videos rather than doing a podcast. I could see them waiting for the new hire or something. Recording and editing a podcast probably takes longer than recording and adding the intro to a QL. Time investment for the return on a podcast with only 2 people and limited time is likely not worth it.

justjim89

You know what? I'm kinda with Dan on the Skrillix/computer music nonsense. If you don't play an instrument, you're not a musician. You don't get callouses on your fingers from making music on a keyboard. You don't get a tighter, disciplined embouchure from making fucking dubstep. I'm sure it takes all degrees of skill and talent, but you're not a musician.

Then again, I have weird opinions on music. I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to be a lead singer without at least playing rhythm guitar.

Myggen

Since Vinny and Alex (iirc) only go into the studio a couple times a week I imagine their priority is recording gameplay/videos rather than doing a podcast. I could see them waiting for the new hire or something. Recording and editing a podcast probably takes longer than recording and adding the intro to a QL. Time investment for the return on a podcast with only 2 people and limited time is likely not worth it.

I think they're there every day of the week now if I'm not mistaken, them only going in a couple of times a week was for the old office IIRC.

LiK

You know what? I'm kinda with Dan on the Skrillix/computer music nonsense. If you don't play an instrument, you're not a musician. You don't get callouses on your fingers from making music on a keyboard. You don't get a tighter, disciplined embouchure from making fucking dubstep. I'm sure it takes all degrees of skill and talent, but you're not a musician.

Then again, I have weird opinions on music. I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to be a lead singer without at least playing rhythm guitar.

I dunno, I think some people make pretty great music with computers only and never used a real instrument. I mean, anything can technically be a musical instrument, not just whatever society agrees with at this point in time.

justjim89

I dunno, I think some people make pretty great music with computers only and never used a real instrument. I mean, anything can technically be a musical instrument, not just whatever society agrees with at this point in time.

That's fair, I don't pretend to be up with current trends. If Dan likes dad music, I like grandpa music. The times they are a' changing.

hwy_61

Banned

I disagree wholeheartedly. A musician is a person who creates music. Period. Oh Dan. The man lives to piss off people on the Internet.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I agree with that sentiment, but only applied directly to skrillex and not any genre of music in general.

Though I look like a baby shitting my pants when I strain to understand why people dump money into seeing some performers "live"

Myggen

I disagree wholeheartedly. A musician is a person who creates music. Period. Oh Dan. The man lives to piss off people on the Internet.

That's the dictionary definition of the word, yes. Or, you don't need to even create music, it's enough to play the music others create on any instrument (a computer can be an instrument in this regard). And yeah, a composer who never, for some reason, plays his own songs is also a musician.

as someone who plays "Dan-approved" instruments, I'm going to say that composing music in a program is probably closer to "real music" than knowing how to play a few chords or a scale or two

I mean, what you do with it is another story. But I'd argue that electronic musicians probably know more about music theory than all the rockers out there

Anjin M

That's fair, I don't pretend to be up with current trends. If Dan likes dad music, I like grandpa music. The times they are a' changing.

As long as they stay off your lawn, right? :)

There is a lot of music that I don't like, but arguing that they aren't making music is such a fruitless pursuit.

hwy_61

Banned
That's the dictionary definition of the word, yes. Or, you don't need to even create music, it's enough to play the music others create on any instrument (a computer can be an instrument in this regard). And yeah, a composer who never, for some reason, plays his own songs is also a musician.

I just think when people set qualifiers for what they deem worthy to be a thing, it comes off as real elitist. You're gonna look down on skrillex because he makes music that doesn't move you? Guess what? It moves some people in a way that CCR, or Zeppelin moves you, dude.

justjim89

as someone who plays "Dan-approved" instruments, I'm going to say that composing music in a program is probably closer to "real music" than knowing how to play a few chords or a scale or two

I mean, what you do with it is another story. But I'd argue that electronic musicians probably know more about music theory than all the rockers out there

That's probably true, to be honest. I write and play a lot of songs, but I know absolutely nothing about music theory, and someone who mixes complete tracks with multiple parts and throughlines undoubtedly knows more about music than me. Hell, I'd go as far as to say Skrillex probably knows more about the theory and composition of music than Hank Williams or Johnny Cash ever did, but I'm probably not gonna go buy his album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom