• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrue

You know what? I'm kinda with Dan on the Skrillix/computer music nonsense. If you don't play an instrument, you're not a musician. You don't get callouses on your fingers from making music on a keyboard. You don't get a tighter, disciplined embouchure from making fucking dubstep. I'm sure it takes all degrees of skill and talent, but you're not a musician.

Then again, I have weird opinions on music. I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to be a lead singer without at least playing rhythm guitar.

I've played about 10 different instruments with decent proficiency in my life and my personal opinion is that if you are playing and/or composing music, be it an instrument, on a computer, by mixing two records together at the same time on a turntable...whatever....you're a musician. Skrillex is definitely a musician.

The only two non-musicians to me are Taylor Swift, and James Blake.
Hatsune Miku?

[EDIT - I recently bought a fiddle (violin) due to my love of high-tempo Ceilidh music. It seemed the cheaper option than an accordion. I plan on taking lessons which teach 'by ear' rather than the classical way. I think that's the way to go for me. The only Violin GAF thread I found was from years ago.

Should I plump more for more nuanced tuition rather than potentially learn bad habits? All I want to be able to do is play some fast jigs. And poor versions of videogame music.

Who knows why I'm asking this here. It seemed tangentially relevant!]

klonere

Banned
You know what? I'm kinda with Dan on the Skrillix/computer music nonsense. If you don't play an instrument, you're not a musician. You don't get callouses on your fingers from making music on a keyboard. You don't get a tighter, disciplined embouchure from making fucking dubstep. I'm sure it takes all degrees of skill and talent, but you're not a musician.

Then again, I have weird opinions on music. I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to be a lead singer without at least playing rhythm guitar.

insane and a bad opinion sorry friend

this is just as valid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7hBUL9kk1Y

as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I

hB9BJyG.jpg

i agree

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think Dan would be surprised at how cookie-cutter the biggest hits of his favorite bands are.

What am I saying, Dan would find some way to rationalize it.

Hasn't he kind of admitted that much by claiming the only songs that matter are about one of two different (but actually the same) subject matter?

Myggen

Listened to the Bombcast now (really good episode) and the audio skipping wasn't that bad. I thought it would be way worse going by the comments. Only happened a few times and skipped a few seconds.

Listened to the Bombcast now (really good episode) and the audio skipping wasn't that bad. I thought it would be way worse going by the comments. Only happened a few times and skipped a few seconds.

I know for a fact you're old and smart enough to not take internet complaints at face value

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Never watched Backflips 'n Bioforge.

What am I getting myself into?

Start with the UPF where they first played it, the fact that it became a series almost seems like an accident. It'd be like waking up tomorrow and seeing "Endurance Run: Drew's Shitty Unity Flying Game" on the schedule.

edit: Or, I guess, almost like seeing "Part 4 of our 10 part series on 4-hour Mario Party play sessions"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Come on you guys. Dan already copped to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was like the greatest album of all time so yea. He's just yanking ya chains.

Come on you guys. Dan already copped to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was like the greatest album of all time so yea. He's just yanking ya chains.

Maybe it's just gotten pathetically annoying that every time Dan opens his obnoxious mouth it has to be followed up with "just trolling, y'all! hyuk hyuk hyuk!" because let me tell you, would it not be grating as fuck to hang out with someone who feels the need to fuck with you every five minutes to try and get a reaction out of you?

Myggen

He's also a fan of Wu Tang, Dr. Dre era West Coast shit and stuff like that. But we're going in circles with this music stuff.

Maybe it's just gotten pathetically annoying that every time Dan opens his obnoxious mouth it has to be followed up with "just trolling, y'all! hyuk hyuk hyuk!" because let me tell you, would it not be grating as fuck to hang out with someone who feels the need to fuck with you every five minutes to try and get a reaction out of you?

That escalated quickly.

Also, this game was so goddamn great. First time I played through a GTA to completion actually. Can't wait to replay it once I put a PC together in a couple months.

maybe the problem is that youre taking this too seriously?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Eh I can see how that would get annoying, but I also grew up with 4 younger siblings and like 20+ cousins who were around a lot.

Dans the annoying little brother who is sincere, but enjoys being difficult. I've come to terms with this and expect that Jason is constantly giving him noogies or jabs to the ribs when they're off camera/microphone.

Nbd.

BanGy.nz

Banned

If you're asking if I would want to hang out with Dan Ryckert, then fuck yeah I would.

GTAV PC quick look was alright, wish it was a bit longer, but I can see the reasons why not. By the time you get to the third Quick Look of a game, only so much left to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom