• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
1064195-untitled_2.jpg

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Sure, but take into account ad revenue it goes a long way to explain why GB was allowed to run more or less unchanged after being bought by CBSi; it's a steady money flow from subscriptions, which is incredibly hard to get when running a website. I'm also assuming that they're well past 20k subs now (the service launched in September 2010, which puts the 2012 BLLSL two years after the launch), but you also have to take into account that a lot of people have bought their subs for $35.

Oh, absolutely, I'm sure the site is profitable. I would actually think 1 mil/year would be on the LOW end of potential subscriber income estimates, and there's ad revenue on top of that, like you said. I just think people sometimes forget that while $1m is a lot of money for a person, it ain't all that much for a business, even a small one, and that the biggest cost for any business is paying employees.

EDIT: and I see that I've jumped back in after the conversation has moved on to the joke I missed. That's what I get for trying to GAF during scattered free minutes at work. Doh! Just ignore me for now.

jaina

EDIT: and I see that I've jumped back in after the conversation has moved on to the joke I missed. That's what I get for trying to GAF during scattered free minutes at work. Doh! Just ignore me for now.

Thanks for your contribution, you're always welcome when the next free minutes occur :)

popo

The member shirt and transaction fees also come out if the $50. I would bet that GB barely breaks even - but given most VG sites *cough Polygon* run at a heavy loss, this is good going.

strafer

So guys, I just caved and bought Injustice: Gods Among Us for the PC.

So far I'm really enjoying it. So many cool characters.

The cutscenes are pretty awesome too.

Myggen

So guys, I just caved and bought Injustice: Gods Among Us for the PC.

So far I'm really enjoying it. So many cool characters.

The cutscenes are pretty awesome too.

Yeah, I enjoyed my time with Injustice. The story is dumb in a good way.

do u bleed

The trailer's similarities to The Dark Knight Returns, probably my all time favourite comic, had me kinda excited...but then I remembered that Zach Snyder is the director.

Man, whatever. Everyone hates on that line but in the context of that story (based on Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, which as much as I can't stand the dude's politics is still a classic) it works.

There's an expansion to a terrible game released in 2004 or something?

Strange.

my biggest complaint with Postal 2 is that you should, in theory, be able to beat the game via a pacifist route, by suffering through long lines and what have you. but they didn't really follow through with that and you have to still attack people (even if you kind of bypass the morality standpoint by using non-lethal weapons)

the game could have almost been amusing satire if they had just accounted for that angle.

that said, making an official expansion 11 years later for a game that was crappy even when it came out is the kind of stupid bullshit that I can't help but appreciate

Myggen

my biggest complaint with Postal 2 is that you should, in theory, be able to beat the game via a pacifist route, by suffering through long lines and what have you. but they didn't really follow through with that and you have to still attack people (even if you kind of bypass the morality standpoint by using non-lethal weapons)

the game could have almost been amusing satire if they had just accounted for that angle.

that said, making an official expansion 11 years later for a game that was crappy even when it came out is the kind of stupid bullshit that I can't help but appreciate

Yeah, that dev is so desperate that it even tried the "support gamergate" angle at one point to get some support, so I shouldn't really be surprised that they decided to release an expansion to their bullshit game now.

edit: Running With Scissors' "Awards and Honors" section on Wikipedia is hilarious

2003, IGN, Runner-up Best Booth - Running With Scissors

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There's a Postal 3, right? Is this expansion just accepting that not even Postal fans want to play Postal 3?

edit: Oh, they already did that.

On August 25, 2012 developer and Postal franchise owner Running With Scissors removed Postal 3 from their store, stating that it was "in the best interest of the Postal Community" and encouraged gamers to instead purchase their earlier titles, stating that they are "a far superior product for a lot less money"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, that dev is so desperate that it even tried the "support gamergate" angle at one point to get some support, so I shouldn't really be surprised that they decided to release an expansion to their bullshit game now.

edit: Running With Scissors' "Awards and Honors" section on Wikipedia is hilarious

These are great:
2003, Krawall Gaming, Best Press Releases of 2003 - RWS and Postal²
2003, GameSpot, Most Embarrassing Game Nominee - Postal²

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Postal 2 is pretty fun. Postal 3 is not.

If you beat the new expansion for Postal 3 the achievement is called, 'Better than Postal 3'

Sakwoff

Blech, I remember that.

Tipped me over from "it's crass, but in a goofy, kinda subversive/satirical way" to "fuck those guys."

So yeah. Fuck those guys.

Sakwoff

I don't know, Portal Dude definitely strikes me as a gator before his time so I could see his entry into the movement as working.

Yeah. In hindsight definitely.

I used to take Postal as also satirizing that angle though... which was mostly wishful thinking on my part as it turns out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Of I agree that double fine deserved all the criticism it gets from that debacle. Just weird that it came from postal of all games.

the postal 2 expansion looks like a winner to me

Desperate grasps at relevance are what Postal is all about.

For such a horrible game, every GB look at Postal has been oddly painful. I guess because they intentionally suck there's no actual fun to be had in them, at least from a Quick Look viewpoint.

They've only looked at Postal 3 which was a broken game released in an alpha state that RWS have long since disowned.

Yeah. In hindsight definitely.

I used to take Postal as also satirizing that angle though... which was mostly wishful thinking on my part as it turns out.
I still feel that it works but some of the developer posts make it seem as if they might actually be GGs which puts another spin on it I suppose. Still, for as childish as Postal 2 can be it still creates such a bizarrely fucked up and crude world that I think it's worth messing around with, especially with all of the weird interactivity. Game is seriously weird.

So what's does this BLLSL entail? I saw the link to the one thread an all I see is that Brad won something and was happy about it. That great btw, I'm happy when Brad's happy.

klonere

Banned
I wish they had stuck with the tone of the first Postal, unrelenting dark, disturbed and depressing. Instead they went for perhaps the easiest, cheapest satire possible.

Then again if they had gone with the first Postal as a blueprint I'd say the game would have been even more widely vilified/banned/help up as a "murder simulator". Actually thinking about it that top down shooter thing that was on Greenlight a while back is pretty much that in a sense.

That Team Brad moment was one of my favourite things the Internet has ever produced. It felt like everyone was getting behind him, willing him to beat that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom