• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

This story mode for MKX sure is pretty boring so far. Got to when the MK Kidz visit the outworld and am now playing as Green Arrow im sorry I mean Jung Kim and, man, i dunno about all of this.

Also, christ almight is KK the worst to play as. I spammed throws in the 4 straight fights you play as him. Just wanted it to end, he's no fun to play as.

I thought about getting it just for the story mode but the more I hear about it the less likely that is going to happen. A shame because the one in MK9 was just so fucking good. I just don#t see myself playing competitively anymore so fighting games might be dead to me.

jgminto

This story mode for MKX sure is pretty boring so far. Got to when the MK Kidz visit the outworld and am now playing as Green Arrow im sorry I mean Jung Kim and, man, i dunno about all of this.

Also, christ almight is KK the worst to play as. I spammed throws in the 4 straight fights you play as him. Just wanted it to end, he's no fun to play as.
Forward 2s to juggles all day, man.
I thought about getting it just for the story mode but the more I hear about it the less likely that is going to happen. A shame because the one in MK9 was just so fucking good. I just don#t see myself playing competitively anymore so fighting games might be dead to me.
I thought the story mode was fantastic overall. Much better than 9 unless nostalgia is all you're after.

Myggen

I'm writing for a solid price cut I think.

It gets better the further in you get but the story is very much a big transition, while it's not as strong as mk9 they move away from a number of those characters which is nice and they create a lot of room for new stuff.

KK has a fun variant but the story seems to like giving you the crappy variants so prepare for more of that.

I've actually been surprised that people kare about story in mortal kombat.

Both MK9 and Injustice had pretty solid and fun story modes. Injustice felt like a graphic novel turned video game, MK9 was a terrific retelling of the Mk1-Mk3 storyline.

MKX's story isn't bad, just kinda feels uninspired and a bit boring compared to their last couple of campaigns.

Xater

The crazy bullshit story is the only thing that kept me interested in MK before MK9. I thing MK9 is the first time they actually delivered a genuinely good fighting game. No I neve even cared for MK1-3. I though the gameplay was incredibly inferior to SF for example.

jgminto

It's about the only fighting game story mode that isn't a cutscene at the start, a cutscene at the end and dialogue boxes. It's also become an incredibly fun fantasy universe with recent entries.

BearPawB

Banned
The crazy bullshit story is the only thing that kept me interested in MK before MK9. I thing MK9 is the first time they actually delivered a genuinely good fighting game. No I neve even cared for MK1-3. I though the gameplay was incredibly inferior to SF for example.

The MKX story is good. And lacks the total bull shit 1 v 2s and awful boss fights that mk9 had. I just wish it went on a bit longer.

Theres a wealth of single player content in this game. I haven't played much online because i am awful, but been having a ton of fun with the game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the thing though, fighting games all have crazy bullshit stories.

I never really thought any of them were ever any good.

Which is what really used to piss me off about KoF is that they would remove characters based on story. No, damnit, just make every one of them dream matches.

Xater

That's the thing though, fighting games all have crazy bullshit stories.

I never really thought any of them were ever any good.

Which is what really used to piss me off about KoF is that they would remove characters based on story. No, damnit, just make every one of them dream matches.

But I genuinely enjoy the stuff MK does. Feels very comic book-ish. SF story for example is trash. Tekken is kinda fun. KoF doesn't do enough storytelling for me to care, same goes for VF.

demidar

The MKX story is good. And lacks the total bull shit 1 v 2s and awful boss fights that mk9 had. I just wish it went on a bit longer.

Theres a wealth of single player content in this game. I haven't played much online because i am awful, but been having a ton of fun with the game.

I think the worldbuilding is pretty good. There aren't a lot of worlds that mash mysticism and technology willy-nilly with a hint of goofiness, especially with moderate production values.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But I genuinely enjoy the stuff MK does. Feels very comic book-ish. SF story for example is trash. Tekken is kinda fun. KoF doesn't do enough storytelling for me to care, same goes for VF.

Nah that's fair enough. Just never really been the draw of fighting games to me.

Even the one fighting which I might want to know the story about, which is persona 4 arena, doesn't have that great of a story from what I've heard.

If you want real crazy bullshit stories though, guilty gear has your back.

I'm with Dan on this, though: the ninjas were cooler when they were just ninjas that kinda did different things and basically palette swaps. Reptile has looked goofy as hell now and the bit i've seen of Rain in MKX makes him look like an idiot. And I haven't seen Smoke yet in MKX but his goofy Doc Brown white hair from MK9 was a dumb look.

Just give me a ninja option in the settings, let me have my ninja kombat game again.

danm999

can you imagine what a dire fucking job it must be working for a site that makes you write those articles?

Recaps yeah definitely.

Reviews where you get to do some analysis I think would be another story. I know the AV Club does two only because they want to cover it from book readers and non book reader perspectives.

So I guess it wouldn't be the worst job in the world.

Xater

Nah that's fair enough. Just never really been the draw of fighting games to me.

Even the one fighting which I might want to know the story about, which is persona 4 arena, doesn't have that great of a story from what I've heard.

If you want real crazy bullshit stories though, guilty gear has your back.

I don't think they present the story very well in Guilty Gear though. They did a bit better in Blazblue and that one was even crazier. I think Xrd has a similar setup to Blazblue but I have not played it.

I'm with Dan on this, though: the ninjas were cooler when they were just ninjas that kinda did different things and basically palette swaps. Reptile has looked goofy as hell now and the bit i've seen of Rain in MKX makes him look like an idiot. And I haven't seen Smoke yet in MKX but his goofy Doc Brown white hair from MK9 was a dumb look.

Just give me a ninja option in the settings, let me have my ninja kombat game again.

I like the characters actually being more different. Always thought it was lame before.

fighting games as a whole are just terrible to set up for plot anyway

it would be really difficult to get something good and well told in that genre anyway and considering we dont do very well on that front with video games as a whole i dont expect that to change anytime soon

Xater

fighting games as a whole are just terrible to set up for plot anyway

it would be really difficult to get something good and well told in that genre anyway and considering we dont do very well on that front with video games as a whole i dont expect that to change anytime soon

I think Netherrealm has a found a great template for fighting games. I am more shocked everyone else isn't copying that.

ArjanN

He said that he voted for same-sex marriage in Minnesota, so I doubt it should be taken that literally. You can care about issues without really caring about politics.

Pretty much.
99% of the population doesn't really care about politics, they care about specific issues that affect themselves.

I like the characters actually being more different. Always thought it was lame before.

Well, it's nice that they're not palette swaps, but IMO they never topped the MK2 ninja designs, everything after that seemed over-designed or goofy.

Myggen

Some positivity away from his Twitter fun and games; well done on your 10k time from last week, Dan!

Nice!

0077_cjydj.gif

I've felt for a while that the Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury/King of Fighters/Ikari Warriors meta-story doesn't get enough attention because that thing goes off the rails at least twice.

I thought the story mode was fantastic overall. Much better than 9 unless nostalgia is all you're after.

I thought MKX's story was a lot weaker (still good overall), but not for nostalgic reasons. The way it constantly jumped back and forth between points in time really threw off the pacing for me. Also thought the voice acting for the new descendant characters was plain and boring which was weird because I put in around five hours before touching the story mode and those characters have so much more personality in regular gameplay.

For positives, I liked the focus on realm politics and Kotal Kahn, D'vorah, and Erron Black are great throughout. It was also nice to see
Scorpion get the most character development he's had since MK4.

Ah, I see you profess the word of Shibata, "The Wrestler."

So you have the second best, compared to me, monk of the good word of Omega, The Cleaner, The Master of the Dark Custodial Arts.

You're making me want to see a Shibata/Omega singles match so badly now.
Just to see Shibata no sell that chainsaw arm bs and kick Omega's leg out of his leg.

Also watching mid 90s AJW atm and Aja Kong is god.

For positives, I liked the focus on realm politics and Kotal Kahn, D'vorah, and Erron Black are great throughout. It was also nice to see
Scorpion get the most character development he's had since MK4.
Netherrealm did a great job with their new characters, the new members of the KK krew are great and while the kombat kids are kind of bland they aren't exactly bad.

hahahaha

that shit is GOLD

everything about it is cheeseball in the most amazing ways but those ladies absolutely beat the HELL out of each other too

seriously

e: omg this match

I found videos of the huge cross-promotional 1995 Tokyo Dome show that Meltzer always raves about. Like 10 different promotions got a match each (Including a few Joshi promotions and what I presume is a comedy promotion where a stern man in black tights entered to Eye of the Tiger to fight a team of what can only be described as space Jews), and everyone went all out. I'm pretty sure this might be the greatest show I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3VFHd-kbtxV7UhORUctHXH90SPVDGvH8

Everyone watch this whether you're into wrestling or not, no excuses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom