• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

So I just fell into the rabbit hole on reading the Giant Bomb Wikipedia article. For some reason, Ryan's article was basically merged with the main Giant Bomb article and that one silly SMB3 rollercoaster video gets an entire paragraph on it and an associating thumbnail picture. I can't believe the controversy over the hirings got a section as well.

Also, I just found out that Alexa previously worked in Giant Bomb and now all the excitement over his appearances on UPFs make a lot more sense now.

Alexis? He worked at Whiskey Media (GB's previous parent company), and then at CBSi until he left for Twitch. He was never technically employed at GB, but by Whiskey Media and then CBSi as a designer (but he was in a bunch of content). The "employees" section of the Wikipedia article is pretty inaccurate since neither Dave Snider, Ian Kelly, Alexis or Rorie have ever been employed by GB, but always by the parent company directly. To say that Ian was employed by GB is like saying that Andy Bauman is employed by GB right now.

Also, Ryan had a Wikipedia article for a long time, but it got taken down because it didn't contain enough information. I'm guessing it has something to do with Wikipedia's different requirements for articles about living people and people who have passed away.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Wild new hire speculation time:

Anyone else in here listen to Lazer Time Podcasts? Henry Gilbert's leaving GamesRadar a week and a half before the BLLS, he's been a fan of Giant Bomb for a while and has history with podcasting. He was the features editor at GamesRadar so to me it seems like he could cover the News part of the site and he'd also cover a few holes in GB's.

He also favorite my tweet asking him if he was moving to NY.
I like how we're all just assuming the new hire will be announced during the BLLSL, I expect we'll get Jeff saying "Yeah, we're still workin on it". #HireCara
no I will not quote what I'm responding to; go back a page, nerd
Nicely done.

Alexis? He worked at Whiskey Media (GB's previous parent company), and then at CBSi until he left for Twitch. He was never technically employed at GB, but by Whiskey Media and then CBSi as a designer (but he was in a bunch of content). The "employees" section of the Wikipedia article is pretty inaccurate since neither Dave Snider, Ian Kelly, Alexis or Rorie have ever been employed by GB, but always by the parent company directly. To say that Ian was employed by GB is like saying that Andy Bauman is employed by GB right now.

Also, Ryan had a Wikipedia article for a long time, but it got taken down because it didn't contain enough information. I'm guessing it has something to do with Wikipedia's different requirements for articles about living people and people who have passed away.

Is Rorie a full fledged GB employee now? If not, that would be surprising.

jLLOQ9P.jpg

tikitikitiki desu ka?

BearPawB

Banned

Anyone else in here listen to Lazer Time Podcasts? Henry Gilbert's leaving GamesRadar a week and a half before the BLLS, he's been a fan of Giant Bomb for a while and has history with podcasting. He was the features editor at GamesRadar so to me it seems like he could cover the News part of the site and he'd also cover a few holes in GB's.

I think there is a less than zero chance of the new hire being a white male.

tchocky

I think there is a less than zero chance of the new hire being a white male.

I think it will be most interesting to see if they hire outside of their friends since I believe every other person Jeff has hired has been a friend of the crew either through working at Gamespot (original GB) Brads friend (Patrick) or Powerbombcast (Dan). Vinny has not been guilty of this hiring Drew and Jason who he didn't know beforehand.

tchocky

Not that I think this will have anything to do with the hiring at all, but what if he wasn't a straight white male?

I think Christian Nutt from Gamasutra would be a decent hire he has a history of writing news and doing interviews, he is mostly into Japanese games and jrpgs which is a area GB is lacking. I have noticed he has started streaming but I haven't watched any so I don't know how good the video are. I don't know whether he would want to move to NY though.

I think Christian Nutt from Gamasutra would be a decent hire he has a history of writing news and doing interviews, he is mostly into Japanese games and jrpgs which is a area GB is lacking. I have noticed he has started streaming but I haven't watched any so I don't know how good the video are. I don't know whether he would want to move to NY though.

I'd be somewhat surprised because he's married and I think he has a lot of ties to SF

but who knows. I wouldn't mind having a Falcom fanboy on the staff

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently he was on a Power Bombcast. It's a done deal.

Since it's GB NY I wonder if Vinny/Alex will have most of the say in hiring the new person? Vinny hired Jason since he was the most qualified but since this one is on the editorial side I could see Alex being the one holding taking the most responsibility for hiring. I hope Alex does the right thing and hires someone who can stand for Xenoblade X when the time comes.

Tucah

you speak so well
I'd be somewhat surprised because he's married and I think he has a lot of ties to SF

but who knows. I wouldn't mind having a Falcom fanboy on the staff

I don't know anything about the guy but you saying he's a Falcom fanboy automatically makes me want him to join the site.

Curufinwe

Since it's GB NY I wonder if Vinny/Alex will have most of the say in hiring the new person? Vinny hired Jason since he was the most qualified but since this one is on the editorial side I could see Alex being the one holding taking the most responsibility for hiring. I hope Alex does the right thing and hires someone who can stand for Xenoblade X when the time comes.

Jeff runs editorial for GB.

Tucah

you speak so well
I may be misremembering things but Alex has a much better grasp of the Bread controls than whoever ran the Unfinished.

I may be misremembering things but Alex has a much better grasp of the Bread controls than whoever ran the Unfinished.

they've also made it slightly easier over time (more grip meter, etc), but yes

but once you get past even what Alex is doing here is where it gets crazy. when you learn to frisbee yourself across the levels it gets really special.

Tucah

you speak so well
they've also made it slightly easier over time (more grip meter, etc), but yes

but once you get past even what Alex is doing here is where it gets crazy. when you learn to frisbee yourself across the levels it gets really special.

Yeah, even from what I've seen of the QL the game seems really cool. The extra modes look fun as well, I'll definitely look into grabbing the game during a Steam Sale or something.

Yeah, even from what I've seen of the QL the game seems really cool. The extra modes look fun as well, I'll definitely look into grabbing the game during a Steam Sale or something.

I've had a hard time convincing people in real life that it's not just a "lol look how hard it is" game because you definitely pick up the controls pretty quickly once you get past that first hump. after that it's super addictive when it becomes second nature and you're making increasingly crazy runs.

but screw them, they don't know what they're missing.

Oh man I cannot wait for a few people from video games sites to leave all at the same time, so that we can make another of those hireing charts like last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom