• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Why does foreign wrestling look so much better than american wrestling?

Mostly because they're run by people who are fine with admitting they are involved in professional wrestling. As mentioned, Lucha Underground is an American production (I think the guy who made Survivor is involved?), it's mostly the WWE style that you're probably used to seeing.

Ah, I see. As someone who only knows wrestling from what is discussed on various podcasts, I assumed that Lucha Underground was not an american thing.

Makes me yearn for Mucha Lucha...

Mostly because they're run by people who are fine with admitting they are involved in professional wrestling. As mentioned, Lucha Underground is an American production (I think the guy who made Survivor is involved?), it's mostly the WWE style that you're probably used to seeing.

WWE style can actually be fine. The NXT guys are wrestling WWE style, and they are putting on fantastic matches.

The main WWE product is trying to appeal to far too many different audiences to work, so impresses no one. They are trying to impress 8 years olds also appealing to that kids parents. They are trying to appeal to women, but treat the Divas like shit in the ring. They seem incapable of creating a strong female character that would appeal - even though they have many women' wrestlers with in-ring skill for it to work. They seem happy to try and target every majority,.minority, age and gender, but don't do enough to please any of them. They are also trying to court sponsors at all times - which they seem to treat better than fans.

The WWE style can work though. NXT shows this. The main product just has no focus, so it is a mess.

BearPawB

Banned
I think the rise of faster guys like Neville are what people want.
Show me people doing flippy shit and i immediately get hyped.

That appeals to everyone. Too much of WWE is big slow dudes.

ibnOlNam8TyKwN.gif

Tucah

you speak so well
I think the rise of faster guys like Neville are what people want.
Show me people doing flippy shit and i immediately get hyped.

That appeals to everyone. Too much of WWE is big slow dudes.

ibnOlNam8TyKwN.gif

Yep, Neville is the shit. Probably why the Lucha Dragons seem like they're going over pretty well too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
WWE style can actually be fine. The NXT guys are wrestling WWE style, and they are putting on fantastic matches.

The main WWE product is trying to appeal to far too many different audiences to work, so impresses no one. They are trying to impress 8 years olds also appealing to that kids parents. They are trying to appeal to women, but treat the Divas like shit in the ring. They seem incapable of creating a strong female character that would appeal - even though they have many women' wrestlers with in-ring skill for it to work. They seem happy to try and target every majority,.minority, age and gender, but don't do enough to please any of them. They are also trying to court sponsors at all times - which they seem to treat better than fans.

The WWE style can work though. NXT shows this. The main product just has no focus, so it is a mess.

NXT isn't WWE style, though. They put much more emphasis on the in-ring product than WWE ever will while McMahon is in charge. To be fair, this isn't entirely because he hates wrestling (Though it's partially because he hates wreslting), he needs everybody to be healthy and available for a huge amount of travelling shows in addition to what's on TV.

NXT isn't WWE style, though. They put much more emphasis on the in-ring product than WWE ever will while McMahon is in charge. To be fair, this isn't entirely because he hates wrestling (Though it's partially because he hates wreslting), he needs everybody to be healthy and available for a huge amount of travelling shows in addition to what's on TV.

which is sustainable when you make the soap opera portion of the show a viable component, which it hasn't been for a very long time

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
which is sustainable when you make the soap opera portion of the show a viable component, which it hasn't been for a very long time

It's not for a lack of...effort? Time, at least. They still devote most of the show to the stories they are trying to tell, they just execute badly on badly-written material. 75% of every show is still people talkin at each other, they just rarely say anything worthwhile.

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah, that Defiled Chalice Dungeon would make an excellent Breaking Brad. Brett "Bloodborne is easy" Gerts too. Breaking Brett.
Honestly didn't have much trouble with it. The fire dog took me a few tries with half HP, but once you learn you can just bait out his swipe attack over and over, he's cake.

The actual wrestling in NXT is WWE style. Promos are WWE style. The whole production is WWE style. Lighting, ring size. camera positions and entrances are all the same. There is just more focus on appealing to a wrestling audience down there instead of trying to please everyone.

NXT films its shows in monthly batches that are then turn into 1 hour shows, and they can get a lot done in that time because they are focused on who they are telling the story to.

Main WWE airs 5 hours a week, and there is a very good chance of nothing import happening most weeks because they are just ticking boxes in an effort to give a tiny morsel to any individual that may stumble into watching.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The actual wrestling in NXT is WWE style. Promos are WWE style. The whole production is WWE style. Lighting, ring size. camera positions and entrances are all the same. There is just more focus on appealing to a wrestling audience down there instead of trying to please everyone.

NXT films its shows in monthly batches that are then turn into 1 hour shows, and they can get a lot done in that time because they are focused on who they are telling the story to.

Main WWE airs 5 hours a week, and there is a very good chance of nothing import happening most weeks because they are just ticking boxes in an effort to give a tiny morsel to any individual that may stumble into watching.

The actual wrestling isn't WWE style though. The production is, but the match booking is nowhere near the same. If we want to pretend like Charlotte will have the same caliber match when she's in WWE as she's had repeatedly in NXT, that's fine. I'm not watching either way so at least I won't be disappointed.

hamchan

There's just too many hours in main WWE. RAW should not be 3 hours, it should be 2 hours. Main Event and Superstars, why do these shows exist? Smackdown, barely any storyline progression and full of RAW replays.

The actual wrestling isn't WWE style though. The production is, but the match booking is nowhere near the same. If we want to pretend like Charlotte will have the same caliber match when she's in WWE as she's had repeatedly in NXT, that's fine. I'm not watching either way so at least I won't be disappointed.

The wrestling totally has to be WWE style in NXT. Otherwise there is no point in having NXT as a developmental system at all. The main point of NXT is to nurture talent they can easily promote to the main show - and already have the kinks ironed out.

The only change for NXT is they are getting more time to do work through ideas - and recover from failed ideas . They are allowed to fail and recover in NXT multiple times. The main roster will never allow that. right now

The main roster gives people less chances when they come too, and of course matches have less time because they need to jam in adverts,sponsors, and all other kinds of corporate nightmare bullshit in the show.

The main roster is forced to be a technically worse show because it is surrounded in all manner of bullshit., but at the core they are still wrestling a WWE style off match on both products. .

The wrestling totally has to be WWE style in NXT. Otherwise there is no point in having NXT as a developmental system at all. The main point of NXT is to nurture talent they can easily promote to the main show - and already have the kinks ironed out.

The only change for NXT is they are getting more time to do work through ideas - and recover from failed ideas . They are allowed to fail and recover in NXT multiple times. The main roster will never allow that. right now

The main roster gives people less chances when they come too, and of course matches have less time because they need to jam in adverts,sponsors, and all other kinds of corporate nightmare bullshit in the show.

The main roster is forced to be a technically worse show because it is surrounded in all manner of bullshit., but at the core they are still wrestling a WWE style off match on both products. .

For me, it's the presentation that seems worlds apart more than anything else. In NXT, you have a more sports-like atmosphere where winning and losing counts and the wrestler's motivations are to actually be the champion. Like how it would be if it was real.
On the main roster, it's a happy time variety show with less to do with the competitive aspect of wrestling than anything else.

so was old games show good this week

and was NXT good this week, because that rhyno match was dope

shame about the crowd being brutal on the new diva, too

Their whole "Windows 10 x Xbox One" initiative doesn't really work when they don't release their marquee shooter franchise on PC, and seem to purposefully gimp the ones that do come out.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
A spider woke me up

Now I'm watching the cdi stream to take my mind off spiders

danm999

Their whole "Windows 10 x Xbox One" initiative doesn't really work when they don't release their marquee shooter franchise on PC, and seem to purposefully gimp the ones that do come out.

It just seems like the latest sad attempt of Microsoft to push their influence in PC gaming.

A spider woke me up

Now I'm watching the cdi stream to take my mind off spiders

the best feeling in the world is when you realize the squiggle in your eye is actually a spider descending in front of your face

also this one time a centipede tried to crawl in my ear when I was asleep

Guys

There are wrestling thread(s?).

Haha, sorry. I just saw the post(s) and was compelled to reply.

On topic: I was rewatching a Vinnyvania episode where Jeff & Brad talked about playing some PS1 games such as Bushido Blade, Jumping Flash etc. Jeff seemed pretty excited by it. Did they ever get around to that?

Guys

There are wrestling thread(s?).

Every time I now open the main one it is filled with gimmick posters,unfunny in-jokes, and about 100MB of GIFs - which is sad as I was part of that GAF community since this forum opened.

The last few posts here was the most competent wrestling discussion i had in about 2 years on this forum.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
why is almost every gbeast ql almost exactly 30 mins

I wonder if it's a tech issue or if they just follow their time table really closely

I'm sure tech is a factor, but also their prep and such with only 2 people prolly doesn't allow too many deep dives. Sad too, b/c I am coming really like the Vinny/Alex dynamic.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I hadn't noticed that. Not every game can handle a 150 minute quick look though. Rarely does a game come along with the depth of, say, Mortal Kombat X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom