• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that, but the devs probably don't think of it that way. Quick looks are at least actual coverage that is available to the most amount of people, but i do wonder how devs think about their games being on like unpro and then never showing it on a quick look.

You would think that some of them would view that as giantbomb directly profiting from playing their games in front of a much more limited audience compared to a quick look. Though some games do get pretty big attention even bring shown on unpro, like gang beasts initially.

I can definitely see the devs seeing it as weird, but that's not necessarily GB's problem to worry about. They try to give most games a quick look and they don't usually say what they're playing beforehand on UPF so it's not like people are jumping into UPF just for specific games, so I can't really see the issue. Dev's can see it as an issue, but I'm sure there are many things they see as issues, doesn't mean it necessarily is an issue. I'd guess a lot of devs like their games being on UPF, kind of like the dodgeball game guy jumping in chat and stuff like that.

Xater

Oh snap, I seen that Will Smith guy before finding out he was friends with GB. He was in some video about buying stuff with bitcoin and using an automated bitcoin machine that I watched a year ago. What a small world.

Uh they were part of the same company, working out of the same office, doing shows together. That ended when CBSi bought Giant Bomb and Comic Vine.

Welp. I now look down on Metal Gear super fans harder than I ever have before. The amount of insane overreaching at every turn...

Time to watch the first half of the Old Games Show I missed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like I really do wonder how giantbomb would be if none of them had their game journalist history. If they just came up the ranks as your regular YouTube/twitch gamer, which is really what they are now if we're being honest (not that there's anything wrong with it), would they still get leeway from developers and publishers in regards to their premium stuff?

I think /v/ really likes Dan. They do Dan posting over there. Sometimes it's funny.

d0sJWT7.png

Like I really do wonder how giantbomb would be if none of them had their game journalist history. If they just came up the ranks as your regular YouTube/twitch gamer, which is really what they are now if we're being honest (not that there's anything wrong with it), would they still get leeway from developers and publishers in regards to their premium stuff?

Eh, I guess I just don't see the issue. I could see there being issue with stuff like MGS or Breaking Brad because it was basically playing an entire game behind a paywall where the game was known before hand. In those cases I guess I could see the argument that they were older game? I dunno, I can see the issue more with that kind of stuff than I could with stuff like UPF where there is no info before hand and the show is watching the guys gather and play a random game they wanted to bring up.

Myggen

Maybe, maybe not. But since GB hosts their own content, there's little they can do about it. They could send a takedown notice, but CBSi/GB could just say "nah" and then the developer would have to go to court to take it down. Which will never happen. So regardless of who you are, you get a lot of protection from just hosting your own stuff instead of hosting it on YT.

I think /v/ really likes Dan. They do Dan posting over there. Sometimes it's funny.

Why are you on 4chan? Get away from there!

LiK

Looks like Gamespot is hosting the GB QLs on their own site now? The I Am Bread one is at least. Totally merged.

Oh, interesting.

I started following GB around 2012/2013 and for the longest time I had no idea what the deal was with Alex. He basically just wrote news and reviews unless he happened to be visiting the SF office. Then Patrick moved to Chicago and they started doing Bombing the A.M. together and now he's pumping out videos like a motherfucker with Vinny.

Why are you on 4chan? Get away from there!

They don't judge my League of Legends playing!

I started following GB around 2012/2013 and for the longest time I had no idea what the deal was with Alex. He basically just wrote news and reviews unless he happened to be visiting the SF office. Then Patrick moved to Chicago and they started doing Bombing the A.M. together and now he's pumping out videos like a motherfucker with Vinny.

Hrm, makes sense. pretty cool of GB to employ Alex all this time then.

Myggen

Probably an initiative to somehow get Gamespot more clicks. I mean their live viewing numbers are nothing compared to what GB pulls. At least whenever I check their stuff on Twitch.

GS get many times more views than GB on the homepage, and a lot of that has to do with how much Google loves old, popular sites like IGN and Gamespot. But they do get fewer views on live streams, probably because the GS audience don't come there for that kind of stuff. A CBSi engineer explained a while back in this thread that they put QLs on GS mostly to help GB on Google, or something like that. It also probably helps that a lot of QLs cover games that GS don't cover at all, so GS at least gets some coverage that way.

Xater

GS get many times more views than GB on the homepage, and a lot of that has to do with how much Google loves old, popular sites like IGN and Gamespot. But they do get fewer views on live streams, probably because the GS audience don't come there for that kind of stuff. A CBSi engineer explained a while back in this thread that they put QLs on GS mostly to help GB on Google, or something like that.

Interesting. The audiences must be quite different then. I wonder what the age skew is. We know GB skews older based on their last poll.

Myggen

Interesting. The audiences must be quite different then. I wonder what the age skew is. We know GB skews older based on their last poll.

I think the main difference in audience is that GB's audience are mainly fans of the site, so a lot of those people will watch streams and longer form video content. A huge part of GS's audience has always been people who search for stuff on Google, be it reviews or other random stuff about games. Notice that both IGN and Gamespot are near the top when you search for a game in Google. And those people will not stick around for live streams.

You could also go back a few years to find an explanation. Most of the video and podcast talent left the site when Jeff was fired (and Rich left before Jeff was fired? Or was it shortly after?). Until then GS was ahead of the curve when it came to video and podcast content, but that pretty much dried up after that. And it's difficult to try to steer a site towards more video content again after so many years of being known as just a reviews and news site.

Xater

I think the main difference in audience is that GB's audience are mainly fans of the site, so a lot of those people will watch streams and longer form video content. A huge part of GS's audience has always been people who search for stuff on Google, be it reviews or other random stuff about games. Notice that both IGN and Gamespot are near the top when you search for a game in Google. And those people will not stick around for live streams.

Maybe. It's hard to tell for me because I usually get German game sites I don't want to visit when I google something.

I take back anything I said about GAF getting too negative about GB because at least it doesn't get as bad as in /v/. Seriously, those dorks are still talking about Patrick like he's the problem of the site. Idiots.

Also, they hate everyone who isn't Jeff, Vinny or Jason.

I take back anything I said about GAF getting too negative about GB because at least it doesn't get as bad as in /v/. Seriously, those dorks are still talking about Patrick like he's the problem of the site. Idiots.

How the fuck can anyone hate Drew?!

How the fuck can anyone hate Drew?!

They don't hate Drew. They don't really hate anyone but Patrick.

They do think that Drew is weirder than everyone else....in an unsettling way. That he completely comes off as normal, but certain things he says or does just comes off as weird...

Myggen

4chan hates literally everything that isn't 4chan (and more often than not they hate 4chan too), so that's no surprise.

I've spent more time on that site than I'm willing to admit.

I fucking hate chan culture. It's the worst. At least even they had the dignity to kick out Gamergate talk.

4chan hates literally everything that isn't 4chan (and more often than not they hate 4chan too), so that's no surprise.

I fucking hate chan culture. It's the worst. At least even they had the dignity to kick out Gamergate talk.

I mean

it can be funny alotta times. You've missed some gold threads of people who end up just Dan posting. It's pretty damn funny.

danm999

During the whole GooberGorb incident 4chan (then 8chan) was whining about Adam Sessler and putting him on that infamous boycott list despite the fact he'd already left games journalism.

A good rule of thumb is the madder and more militant someone is about something on the internet, the less informed they are.

Myggen

I mean

it can be funny alotta times. You've missed some gold threads of people who end up just Dan posting. It's pretty damn funny.

Eh, I'm not willing to dig through the trash that is 4chan anymore. /v/ and /b/ especially is just garbage most of the time, with people trying to be "edgy" and "offensive".

I mean

I'll take your word for it. Everytime I see a GB thread there it's just unmitigated hate over what the site has become and how much they miss the good days of Giant Bomb. Don't ask for a specific year, though. You'll just get different answers. Shit is just cynical and depressing like in every /v/ thread. Fuck that board.

Eh, I'm not willing to dig through the trash that is 4chan anymore. /v/ and /b/ especially is just garbage most of the time, with people trying to be "edgy" and "offensive".

I'll take your word for it. Everytime I see a GB thread there it's just unmitigated hate over what the site has become and how much they miss the good days of Giant Bomb. Don't ask for a specific year, though. You'll just get different answers. Shit is just cynical and depressing like in every /v/ thread. Fuck that board.

I don't go there for serious GB talking, though. There's this current fad of hating on 'e-celeb' threads(not unlike the hate of Angry Joe threads here), so you get those kind of posters, you get posters who actually discuss GB, and sometimes you'll just get the perfect discussion. Which is rearely.

Myggen

Meh. I get that it's supposed to be a joke for a lot of people to call everyone "fags" and stuff like that, but /pol/ and /b/ has shown that there's a pretty sizeable part of the userbase who seem to be serious about the offensive shit they post. So you have some people posting bullshit as a joke, and some people posting racist and homophobic shit completely seriously. And because everyone's anonymous, it's impossible to figure out who falls on which side of that. That's a large part of the appeal of 4chan, but I'm over that shit now.

edit: But this is widely off topic, so I'll stop.

LiK

4chan hates themselves as well

There's a quick look for it on the wii so i know they wont be covering it but, man, Xenoblade 3D is like the only legit console JRPG i've played from last gen and that was actually good. I know that some folks have a soft spot for Lost Odyssey but that game was a bunch of turd juice and you're a bad person if you defend it.

After seeing Final Fantasy XIII not have towns and be Corridor: the RPG, playing something like Xenoblade where they immediately throw you into a town ass town and then throw a hundred side quests at you, it's like what I imagined JRPGs would be in the future when i was fucking Kefka up in FF6

BearPawB

Banned
I remember Lemmings being everywhere as a kid.
Math Blaster was great

This was my Edu-game of choice though:
436.jpg

and the aforementioned mathblaster:
Math%20Blaster%20-%20Episode%201-2.png

Oh man. Sounds like I need to go watch the old games show that is some seriously nostalgia right there.

All we need now is Chex Quest.

Bombcast this week was amazing

If i have any issue with the Old Games show it's that I'd like to see a non-cheat run at a game for a little while before they jump into game genie mode. Like, i would've liked to have seen how crap MKM really was because the cheat stuff makes it look alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom