• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone heard if there's gonna be a new Power Bombcast? Extreme Rules is this weekend, and it seems like they've generally been putting out a podcast before the PPVs.

LiK

I'm fine with no more BB videos. I like when they do unique features, and BB has been covered by everyone everywhere.

I'm really hoping that the BLLSL they give us a state of the nation regarding what they are going to do with premium features. I still feel that they were at their best back when they were doing Load our Last Save and Random PC games and the closest we have to that is the ongoing MPP series. Oh, and the MGScanlon is great, too.

Basically, i want more GBEast premium stuff but maybe they're waiting for that third NY hire to happen before getting into it.

NOPE, I like Jeff's impressions of what's going on especially because he's not a fan of the Souls series in general. I like seeing how he deals with the combat and what he thinks of the world. Far more entertaining than many other BB videos from other major sites.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The common thread between Jeff & Bloodborne and Drew & Metal Gear is that they're playing games that they have never seen before or given a fair shot. I'd love to see more of that from GB. For example, I'd love to see one of the GB guys learn to play FIFA or PES and really get into the nitty gritty of any sports title, for example. It'd be neat to see Brad take Drew under his wing and explore Heroes of the Storm.

None of these need to span more than 2-3 videos but it'll be interesting to me.
Drew did the "Teach me FIFA, Danny" thing, they could've kept doing that.

No_Style

Drew did the "Teach me FIFA, Danny" thing, they could've kept doing that.

Yeap! I was hoping for more of that.

But I also recognize that people may not want to watch sports titles being played, so this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Drew + Heroes of the Storm though. Once it hits open beta, I hope they make it a regular feature.

danm999

maybe i missed it, but did brad say anything regarding his feelings on the new Destiny DLC? because, boy, that sure doesn't look like it's much of anything

On last week's Bombcast he and Jeff discussed it briefly IIRC. They were a bit bummed there was no raid and thus no real big draw to go back, but said it might be nice if there was a good horde mode in the game given the core combat is solid but neither sounded particularly excited.

It sounded like there were at the discussing it to do their due diligence , rather than the discussing it because they were playing it/cared about it.

Patryn

maybe i missed it, but did brad say anything regarding his feelings on the new Destiny DLC? because, boy, that sure doesn't look like it's much of anything

I feel like, for Brad, Destiny is an ex-girlfriend that he had a hot but troubled relationship with. Can't really go back to it the same way anymore.

I hate to be a cynical prick but I'm guessing the servers will be off by 2018.

I mean, you would hope that Bungie would be smart and make it so that the Destiny content is playable in Destiny 2, I don't expect this to happen because it's Destiny but I feel like it would stupid if they don't do that.

I feel like, for Brad, Destiny is an ex-girlfriend that he had a hot but troubled relationship with. Can't really go back to it the same way anymore.

I think he would happily still play it if there was still content to see, he went back for the last dlc but subsequently stopped again once he'd beaten the raid. I'm sure he'll go back whenever Bungie adds new content.

LiK

pretty indifferent about it but he's interested in the horde mode when I mentioned no raid to him in the GB chat. I guess we'll see another QL for that mode when it comes out.

Xater

Expect talk once it's actually out. Can't say I am impressed so far. That new mode better be real good or it looks like a joke. Not that this would be different from the first expansion...

Megasoum

Banned
I bet he still plays it

so I've never seen a big live live show live before. what time does it start/what is it about/why can't I live near them/should I buy a ticket to san fran?

Check the schedule on the site for the start time in your timezone.

As far as what it is... Well it's a big infomercial for the site's subscription.

Personnaly I always thought that the quality of the show was really up and down... Some stuff is great and some stuff is kinda boring. I wonder if we'll have to suffer through ComicVine segment again this year?

TraBuch

Banned
Question for those who understand D&D and listen to the Adventure Zone podcast. Them and the GB guys started off with the same quest and all that, is the stuff that TAZ is doing after that all made up by Griffin? Or will GB eventually also go to the moon and discover giant jellyfish things and slowly pull arms off of sex bots and join bureaus and all that stuff?

Question for those who understand D&D and listen to the Adventure Zone podcast. Them and the GB guys started off with the same quest and all that, is the stuff that TAZ is doing after that all made up by Griffin? Or will GB eventually also go to the moon and discover giant jellyfish things and slowly pull arms off of sex bots and join bureaus and all that stuff?

the wonderful thing about DnD is that, if youre dungeon master allows it, anything goes. the campaign is kind of like a guiding hand for those who are maybe new to it or really strict about "playing the game right." That's why DnD is kind of weird for folks coming from video games or board games, there aren't hard limits to anything so long as you can roll dice on it.

which is why it's kind of a shame that Rorie seems to not be about allowing more crazy in it. Dan seems to get it, it should be no holds barred, leg drops on dragons, chair hits on zombies.

Santar

I was looking forward to the Jeff plays Bloodborne video but looking back I enjoyed it more when he was talking about it on the bombcast.
Brad and Jason just could not help themselves from guiding him and giving him tips all the time. That's not the way to play Bloodborne (or any game) I think.
I got the impression that Jeff might feel this way too by the way they basically cut the video short after he found a new area.

justjim89

I would love if they did a UPF segment looking some of the absurd paid mods for Skyrim. I know that's asking them the care about Skyrim again, which isn't likely, especially considering it would mean having to set up a load order and what not, but I think it would be kind of a funny illustration of the broken value proposition.

"Here's a single armor set that costs almost as much as Skyrim itself! And the only way to get it is through a console command!"

Xater

I was looking forward to the Jeff plays Bloodborne video but looking back I enjoyed it more when he was talking about it on the bombcast.
Brad and Jason just could not help themselves from guiding him and giving him tips all the time. That's not the way to play Bloodborne (or any game) I think.
I got the impression that Jeff might feel this way too by the way they basically cut the video short after he found a new area.

I completely agree with this.

LiK

I don't mind Jeff playing on his own and then coming back and playing on the site as well. he could just alternate.

Lijik

Only if it's 3D Lemmings.

only if jeff is in the approved Lemmings outfit
tumblr_nc6p3lUupx1rkrwaco1_1280.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, that video wasn't really what I was expecting. Jeff didn't need the handholding.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I would love if they did a UPF segment looking some of the absurd paid mods for Skyrim. I know that's asking them the care about Skyrim again, which isn't likely, especially considering it would mean having to set up a load order and what not, but I think it would be kind of a funny illustration of the broken value proposition.

"Here's a single armor set that costs almost as much as Skyrim itself! And the only way to get it is through a console command!"

I don't really know what to tell people if they didn't expect a flood of low effort bullshit to occupy the mod marketplace. "Welcome to reality, what is it like where you're from?" maybe.

hamchan

I don't really know what to tell people if they didn't expect a flood of low effort bullshit to occupy the mod marketplace. "Welcome to reality, what is it like where you're from?" maybe.

People or Valve? Because to most people it looked fairly obvious how badly this paid mods idea would go.

hamchan

There were a surprising amount of people in favor of the idea, everywhere I looked.

Ha, you might be right. I've only read /r/games, who seem totally against it, and the latest pages of the thread here. The first page of thread have half the people immediately saying great and the other half showing apprehension about it.

There were a surprising amount of people in favor of the idea, everywhere I looked.

I'm in favor of the concept because there have been some very high quality mod releases for Skyirm that significantly improve the game. The implementation obviously has left much to be desired, not the least of which is the meager amount that the modders get after bethesda and valve get their cut.

Paid mods make a lot of sense for things that are relatively stand alone, like maps, multiplayer items, or separate areas/scenarios, not so much for the mess of interdependent mods that is the Skyrim modding scene. Adding it in very late for a franchise that has had an active free modding scene for over a decade and well, you get this mess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The people that needs to be grossing people out is the part where one of the mod developers admitted to taking a free mod and using it in his own paid mod. And that Valve apparently told him it was ok to jack other mods to fit into his own because they were on Steamworks and free.

That is like... some of the most disgusting shit I've ever read related to video games.

hamchan

The people that needs to be grossing people out is the part where one of the mod developers admitted to taking a free mod and using it in his own paid mod. And that Valve apparently told him it was ok to jack other mods to fit into his own because they were on Steamworks and free.

That is like... some of the most disgusting shit I've ever read related to video games.

It's ok because Valve gets money.

justjim89

Which mods, exactly? I know Wet and Cold relies on a lot of content from Winter is Coming, and that mod author has expressly forbid the use of his content in paid mods.

This AssCreed China actually looks cool. Like a slower Mark of the Ninja.

popo

Did anyone buy that Saints Row 4 collection for new consoles? Do you need a leveled up character to play Saints Christmas DLC etc or can you just go in cold? Thx

There is a balance. Left to his own devices then Jeff could have been wandering around for hours. He did not have a good idea of which area he should have even been looking in for that door. Not great content. If they were playing through the rest of the game on video it would be a problem, but if it is only these check ins then it seems fine.

I mean if I was stuck for direction like that then I would likely have just asked a friend or had a peak at a FAQ. So it is a pretty realistic approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom